By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series X/S expandable storage is expensive....

Will you be buying this storage?

Yes 10 20.83%

No 38 79.17%

Total:48

I like the wide, superior GPU of the XSX. It is a great system overall, and will probably perform better than the PS5. I will only buy one though, if/when they release a model with a regular user replaceable NVME slot. Until they fix this, it's PS5 only for me.

Even Nintendo has moved away from proprietary storage. Business practices like this are reprehensible.

Around the Network

$520 - 1.5tb Xbox Series S

$500 - 1tb Xbox Series X

The price of this storage kinda kills the value of the Series S. I mean if we assume the 0.5tb is worth $110....

Then it's $410 for Xbox Series S 1TB and $500 for Xbox Series X 1TB. Meaning you're getting a vastly inferior GPU and only saving $90.

These storage prices will need to come down fast.

Imaginedvl said:
V-r0cK said:

Starting at $219.99US for a 1TB! Almost the same price as the Xbox Series S.

Good thing it's just an (expensive) optional choice or else it'll burn up in flames like the Vita lol

https://www.ign.com/articles/official-xbox-series-x-and-s-1tb-expandable-storage-drive-costs-21999

"You can continue to use your USB 3.1+ external hard drives on Xbox Series X & run Xbox One, 360 and OG Xbox games directly from the external USB HDD. Games optimized for Xbox Series X & Velocity Architecture need to be run from the internal SSD or the Expandable Storage Drive"

Well, "Crazy" expensive is not really what it is :)

SSD with that throughput today (I guess PCIe 4.0 only) is probably in that range... And this is a custom piece of hardware.
While not being cheap, this is not crazy expensive.

Just as a reference (PCIe 4.0 as it is probably the closest in term of performance):

https://www.newegg.ca/p/pl?d=ssd+1tb+pcie+4.0

No, 220$ is not crazy expensive at all... 

I think this is why Sony is allowing 3rd party expansion. That way when SSD manufacturers are doing sales users can upgrade their PS5 storage for less cost and leaving Sony in the clear and not be accused of Vita-like practises. 

I don't know how flexible MS will be on the price as the prices of NAND flash goes down but I can't see them dropping the price in increments every few months like normal retailers would do.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

I'm not a fan of proprietary storage solutions, especially when they don't seem to be technically necessary (which is pretty much always). If Microsoft brings the price down closer to that of an off the shelf solid state drive, I might pick one up. But there's no way I'll pay $220 for one.

And, I find it somewhat disappointing that Microsoft is going this way. I've always associated them with being much more consumer friendly in terms of storage options. I suppose it's not so bad though, since there's enough storage in both systems to have a few games, at least, installed at any time. If they bring the price down over the next couple of years, maybe I'll give them a pass. If they're still trying to get $200 for this thing 2 years from now, I'll have to consider that a strike against Microsoft.

Not sure if I'll buy one yet. Need to see how long it takes to move games from external HDD to console.

Around the Network

Damn... That's expensive. Hope it comes down after a year or so. I doubt I'll need one before then.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

I was actually fearing worse since proprietary systems are always expensive, but yeah, it's still very expensive.

For comparison, A 1TB Mushkin Pilot-E, which is faster than the SSD in the XSX, is only 118€ - and that's with VAT included. You can get a faster 2TB NVMe SSD for a similar price these days.

Imaginedvl said:

Well, "Crazy" expensive is not really what it is :)

SSD with that throughput today (I guess PCIe 4.0 only) is probably in that range... And this is a custom piece of hardware.
While not being cheap, this is not crazy expensive.

Just as a reference (PCIe 4.0 as it is probably the closest in term of performance):

https://www.newegg.ca/p/pl?d=ssd+1tb+pcie+4.0

No, 220$ is not crazy expensive at all... 

For the speed of the SSD in the XSX, PCIe 3.0 is plenty fast enough. For the PS5 SSD, a PCIe 4.0 connector would be needed, but not the one in the XSX.

As such, you can compare with any NVMe SSD with both read and write speeds (both to give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt) over 2400 MB/s, which is the supposed speed of the XSX SSD.

Hum yah, 4.8 is "compressed". So PCIe 3.0 can achieve it. Price would be lower then

Yeah this was always going to be expensive, and was never going to be cheaper than off the shelf parts. Gaming parts particularly, on newly made proprietary tech always carries a premium price.

This is why Series S is such a kind of a bad deal for all but the most casual of gamers. Well unless you don't mind transferring data constantly.

It's actually a really good price. The problem is people devaluing space. Not a single person who buys and Xbox actually needs that much storage, let alone SSD storage. I have yet to see a person who constantly switches between 20 big games. Large SSD storage is still very much premium, otherwise I would've switched to SSD for my long time storage a long time ago. My next high end gaming PC won't have more than 1TB for storage.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Barkley said:

$520 - 1.5tb Xbox Series S

$500 - 1tb Xbox Series X

The price of this storage kinda kills the value of the Series S. I mean if we assume the 0.5tb is worth $110....

Then it's $410 for Xbox Series S 1TB and $500 for Xbox Series X 1TB. Meaning you're getting a vastly inferior GPU and only saving $90.

These storage prices will need to come down fast.

I'm sure most people who are price sensitive (hence going for a Series S) have no intention of expanding their storage, especially not for $200+