By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series X/S expandable storage is expensive....

Will you be buying this storage?

Yes 10 20.83%

No 38 79.17%

Total:48
DroidKnight said:
I will be buying 1 for each game I purchase, and I will make custom game cases for each of them to treat them as game cartridges. I can't decide if I'm going with gold or platinum for my custom casing.

I dont know if yo joking but I considered it lol. Was hoping they had a smaller say 128gb and 256gb options lol

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
DroidKnight said:
I will be buying 1 for each game I purchase, and I will make custom game cases for each of them to treat them as game cartridges. I can't decide if I'm going with gold or platinum for my custom casing.

I dont know if yo joking but I considered it lol. Was hoping they had a smaller say 128gb and 256gb options lol

Permalite mentioned degradation in the files stored on it while just sitting there.  I looked it up and he's right, you could start losing that info in 5 years, so not a good long term solution.  Probably would need some way of doing it like Nintendo cartridges.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

RolStoppable said:
Today Microsoft lost me as a customer.

It's Ok the endless cycle of being lost and then gained, means they will still have you 50% of the time and since the cyclic nature of Rol being a MS customer is so quick it means they don't have to worry about lawsuits when  the inevitable day comes when Nintendo registers Rolstoppable as an IP.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 26 September 2020

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

DroidKnight said:
Cobretti2 said:

Permalite mentioned degradation in the files stored on it while just sitting there.  I looked it up and he's right, you could start losing that info in 5 years, so not a good long term solution.  Probably would need some way of doing it like Nintendo cartridges.

SO whats the best way to backup your games (well mainly all the shitty patches and addns)

DroidKnight said:
Cobretti2 said:

SO whats the best way to backup your games (well mainly all the shitty patches and addns)

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
DroidKnight said:

Unfortunately just a large multi-terabyte hard drive and just swap games back and forth between it and the system for those that require the speed of the fast SSD.  Your older games wouldn't have to be switched back and forth but all games taking advantage of the Series X Hardware would.  This will still make it where you wouldn't have to delete any games and their patches if you have enough storage. I'm hoping for a larger card than the 1 terabyte that will be available and will purchase it.  Then just keep a 3 terabyte external drive plugged into a usb for the backwards compatible games and extra new gen games. Moving the new generation games back and forth probably won't occur often, but when I do it will still be a lot faster than having to re-download it and dlc.

edit: I just found an 8TB 3.0 usb for $145.  I'll probably upgrade from my old one.

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 26 September 2020

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Pemalite said:

eva01beserk said:

I looked into the direct storage and I never claimed the ps5 had 4 extra PCIE4 lanes, I said it had 4 PCIE4 lanes and the xbox has none.  What xbox claims as direct storege is an API solution but that again is more software. But again I could be wrong I just could not find any mention.

The Xbox Series X has 4x PCI-E lanes. It's actually identical to the Playstation 5 on this front.
Microsoft's approach isn't just software.

The Xbox Series X has only 2x PCIe gen4 going to the internal SSD and  2x PCIe gen4 going to the external expansion slot. So not identical to PS5 on that front.

source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-xbox-series-x-architecture-deep-dive

the expansion card is also only 2x PCIe gen4

source: https://www.hardwaretimes.com/xbox-series-x-storage-expansion-will-use-pcie-4-0-x2-seagate-reveals/

https://www.seagate.com/au/en/consumer/play/storage-expansion-for-xbox-series-x/

Barkley said:

$520 - 1.5tb Xbox Series S

$500 - 1tb Xbox Series X

The price of this storage kinda kills the value of the Series S. I mean if we assume the 0.5tb is worth $110....

Then it's $410 for Xbox Series S 1TB and $500 for Xbox Series X 1TB. Meaning you're getting a vastly inferior GPU and only saving $90.

These storage prices will need to come down fast.

Dont forget about the PS5 digital for $400 and with 825 GB ultra fast SSD, exactly matching its full fledged sibling. Now all of a sudden, a PS5 with 70% more capacity, 2.5 times the GPU power, and 60% more and faster RAM sounds like a MUCH better deal.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

paulgp said:

The Xbox Series X has only 2x PCIe gen4 going to the internal SSD and  2x PCIe gen4 going to the external expansion slot. So not identical to PS5 on that front.

source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-xbox-series-x-architecture-deep-dive

the expansion card is also only 2x PCIe gen4

source: https://www.hardwaretimes.com/xbox-series-x-storage-expansion-will-use-pcie-4-0-x2-seagate-reveals/

https://www.seagate.com/au/en/consumer/play/storage-expansion-for-xbox-series-x/

Wouldn't it be a waste to use 4x PCIe gen4 for the use case scenario?

2x PCIe gen4 already can handle ~4 GB/s and the maximal transfer is 2.4 GB/s.

It would even allow ~50% faster SSDs in later Xbox Series revisions or in later Seagate-Xbox-expansion SSDs (f. e. 3.6 GB/s uncompressed data)

Last edited by Conina - on 26 September 2020

V-r0cK said:

Starting at $219.99US for a 1TB! Almost the same price as the Xbox Series S.

Good thing it's just an (expensive) optional choice and already has storage or else it'll burn up in flames like the Vita lol

I wouldn't say it's that expensive. I recently got a good deal on a 1TB laptop SSD for £178 which is fairly much the same price as this Seagate one in USD. You can also get an M.2 1TB one for £120, or about $160 for your desktop, though I notice that that one has theoretical speeds only half as fast as what the Seagate can manage. 

That said I'm 100% not buying one anytime soon. I have a WD Black HDD 4TB which transfers at 130MB/s. (versus 3000-4000 MB/s for the seagate SSD). At that rate you could move the entirety of Call of Duty Modern Warfare (200GB) from the USB drive to the internal SSD drive in 25 minutes. And that's ignoring the fact that you'd be able to play Modern Warfare, and all other Xbox One games, from the USB drive directly. I'll get one much later when there's more next-gen games to play and when the prices come down.