Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you plan on getting the now officially announced 3D Mario Collection?

Will you buy the 3D Mario Collection?

Yes 82 59.85%
 
No 37 27.01%
 
Maybe 18 13.14%
 
Total:137

So I can actually bully a billionaire company...

Never realized how powerful I am

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 04 September 2020

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
So, I can actually bully a billionaire company...

Never realized how powerful I am

Just take it easy enough for them not to complain about it to their parents.



Already pre-ordered mine.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

mZuzek said:
super_etecoon said:

First off, we don't @nintendo here.  In other words, we're mostly talking amongst ourselves, which I think is a healthy way to vent. 

Second, something not being worth the price they are asking is much different than "I really wish if enough people called Nintendo out on social media about Super Mario Galaxy 2 that they would add it to this compilation for free."

If you don't think @ing a company and demanding something for free isn't bullying, then you may want to expand your definition of the term.  I think requesting Mario Galaxy 2 as a $10 DLC might get more traction and will come off way less entitled and might get you the DLC for free anyway. 

I don't take exception with the desire and opinion, I take exception with the method and the intent...and the openness with which you laid out basically an extortion scheme.  "Give us what we want, dammit, or we will flood your Twitter presence with bad PR."  Kind of an odd thing to do to a company that you "love" and can't wait to enjoy their products. And who knows how much $$$ you're saving or making with your campaign, especially considering we don't know their plans with SMG2.  

You literally just did, he's a male gamer who joined in 2007 and has posted here 11 times.

Seriously though, you're being quite silly here. Like, saying people shouldn't openly criticize Nintendo because it's a company they "love". People might love Nintendo's games, in some occasions even some of the people behind the scenes, they might like the way Nintendo handles themselves about a lot of things, but Nintendo is still a worldwide company driven by profit and if they are doing something anti-consumer, then they deserve to be criticized at the very least.

In fact, if you wanna do this thing where you pretend issues with a worldwide company can be a personal thing, let's take it to a more personal level. If a close friend of yours did something repulsive, would you defend them or criticize them? They deserve criticism, if you love them you're probably the most qualified to do it because they'll know you're not just openly berating them for the sake of being a hater, you're doing it because you're genuinely disappointed and want to see them improve. That's how things should be.

That's not how things are when it comes to an average consumer vs. a worldwide company, but in your example, it is still the right thing to do. You might think this collection isn't anti-consumer, and that's okay, but a lot of people see it that way and they're in their right to complain about it. This has nothing to do with the fucking end of the world, either, it's ridiculous to say we can't complain about small things like these just because there are greater issues in the world - especially considering how we really have no control over those whatsoever.

I don't know why you ever got so defensive over a clearly low-effort compilation of old games, but you made yourself look bad while at it. Just go ahead, buy the game, enjoy it, there are a lot of people who will do just that and be fine with it. The games are good, after all. But people are in their right to complain if they think the product could've (or should've) been better, which is probably the case here.

I said nothing about openly criticizing a company that people love.  I'm all for being critical, you should see me vent on Other M.  And if a friend did something shitty, if you want to take it to a personal level, I certainly wouldn't make a public stand against them.  I'd tell them in a friendly way that they were behaving in an uncool manner.  But this isn't a personal friend, of course.  I'm simply suggesting that creating a cry campaign against a company to demand a free product is pretty sad, and that such energy would better be used for something more worthwhile. Again, I'm not against the sentiment, I'm against openly creating a campaign to cause a company to give away something for free to save PR face.  It's silly.  If you don't like the product, don't buy it. Them adding SMG2 to an underwhelming collection isn't going to sway the haters anyway. 



I've pre-ordered my copy and I've absolutely no problem with the $60 price tag I've paid that plenty of times over the last couple of decades for games that turned out garbage and I'm sure there will be more duds I buy in the future so $60 for not just one game but 3 games I know are top quality playable on the convenience of the Switch is a great deal.



Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I am, pre-ordered it yesterday. Simply haven't played these games.

But I must admit, the more I think about it, the more the lack of Galaxy 2 bothers me. Specifically because it's such an odd and needless omission.

It makes me wonder if maybe they have other plans for Galaxy 2.  Where the collection are pretty much straight ports, Galaxy 2 might be next in line for the "Delux" treatment where more content is added and it gets a full release on its own.  Maybe even more polished visuals like with Xenoblade?

If that is the case, I can see why it would be left out for the time being.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

super_etecoon said:

I said nothing about openly criticizing a company that people love.  I'm all for being critical, you should see me vent on Other M.  And if a friend did something shitty, if you want to take it to a personal level, I certainly wouldn't make a public stand against them.  I'd tell them in a friendly way that they were behaving in an uncool manner.  But this isn't a personal friend, of course.  I'm simply suggesting that creating a cry campaign against a company to demand a free product is pretty sad, and that such energy would better be used for something more worthwhile. Again, I'm not against the sentiment, I'm against openly creating a campaign to cause a company to give away something for free to save PR face.  It's silly.  If you don't like the product, don't buy it. Them adding SMG2 to an underwhelming collection isn't going to sway the haters anyway. 

I agree you shouldn't create a public outrage against a friend, but just as the whole situation is different when it comes to a worldwide company, so is the fact that you can't talk to them personally, making a public stand is the only way anyone can get to them - though in the case of Nintendo, it's pretty unlikely to ever impact anything anyway.

Also, no one's asking for them to give us Galaxy 2 for free. People are saying Galaxy 2 should be included in a $60 collection, a collection in which it absolutely belongs in, and would cost Nintendo barely no money to include given how basic the ports are. Last time I checked, $60 isn't free. I get what you mean, of course. Nintendo decided that the collection is worth $60 without Galaxy 2, and therefore adding it retroactively would be "for free" in their eyes, but not to the eyes of the public. It's not that people want Galaxy 2 for free, it's that they think that this collection might've been actually worth $60 with it included, but definitely isn't without it.

If anyone's doing it for PR reasons, they live in the past. Nintendo's been immune to any serious PR backlash this generation, probably as a result of an unbelievable amount of new Nintendo fanboys showing up from all sides of the internet defending their every single decision, despite the fact that Nintendo's done a lot of anti-consumer things since 2017.



mZuzek said:
super_etecoon said:

I said nothing about openly criticizing a company that people love.  I'm all for being critical, you should see me vent on Other M.  And if a friend did something shitty, if you want to take it to a personal level, I certainly wouldn't make a public stand against them.  I'd tell them in a friendly way that they were behaving in an uncool manner.  But this isn't a personal friend, of course.  I'm simply suggesting that creating a cry campaign against a company to demand a free product is pretty sad, and that such energy would better be used for something more worthwhile. Again, I'm not against the sentiment, I'm against openly creating a campaign to cause a company to give away something for free to save PR face.  It's silly.  If you don't like the product, don't buy it. Them adding SMG2 to an underwhelming collection isn't going to sway the haters anyway. 

I agree you shouldn't create a public outrage against a friend, but just as the whole situation is different when it comes to a worldwide company, so is the fact that you can't talk to them personally, making a public stand is the only way anyone can get to them - though in the case of Nintendo, it's pretty unlikely to ever impact anything anyway.

Also, no one's asking for them to give us Galaxy 2 for free. People are saying Galaxy 2 should be included in a $60 collection, a collection in which it absolutely belongs in, and would cost Nintendo barely no money to include given how basic the ports are. Last time I checked, $60 isn't free. I get what you mean, of course. Nintendo decided that the collection is worth $60 without Galaxy 2, and therefore adding it retroactively would be "for free" in their eyes, but not to the eyes of the public. It's not that people want Galaxy 2 for free, it's that they think that this collection might've been actually worth $60 with it included, but definitely isn't without it.

If anyone's doing it for PR reasons, they live in the past. Nintendo's been immune to any serious PR backlash this generation, probably as a result of an unbelievable amount of new Nintendo fanboys showing up from all sides of the internet defending their every single decision, despite the fact that Nintendo's done a lot of anti-consumer things since 2017.

We're well off topic by now, and certainly the anti-consumer practices of Nintendo probably deserve their own thread.  

But I do think that for all the apologists like myself who routinely defend Nintendo and many of its actions, I believe there are an equal number of detractors such as yourself that routinely call Nintendo out almost out of habit.  Many of my favorite Nintendo loving YouTubers are guilty of this as well, never forgetting to hold a grudge about some slight from Nintendo's very long past.  But I don't see you trying to organize some "Give us some Free Stuff, Nintendo" campaigns, for as much as you vent.  You simply state your piece (or pieces), vote with your wallet, and call it a day.  That's as much effort as I think it's worth and nothing more.



super_etecoon said:

But I do think that for all the apologists like myself who routinely defend Nintendo and many of its actions, I believe there are an equal number of detractors such as yourself that routinely call Nintendo out almost out of habit.  Many of my favorite Nintendo loving YouTubers are guilty of this as well, never forgetting to hold a grudge about some slight from Nintendo's very long past.  But I don't see you trying to organize some "Give us some Free Stuff, Nintendo" campaigns, for as much as you vent.  You simply state your piece (or pieces), vote with your wallet, and call it a day.  That's as much effort as I think it's worth and nothing more.

I wasn't referring to you when I talked about these apologists, and definitely don't think I'm among these people who throw hate everywhere. I do think Nintendo as a company has grown far too anti-consumer in recent years, though compared to some of the other big gaming companies they're still quite decent. But I don't care enough to try and make a twitter outrage about it or something. Nothing good ever comes of something like that.

It's as you say, really. I criticize them and vent my opinions somewhere, but the only information I ever direct at Nintendo is the money I give them, or don't.



Shiken said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I am, pre-ordered it yesterday. Simply haven't played these games.

But I must admit, the more I think about it, the more the lack of Galaxy 2 bothers me. Specifically because it's such an odd and needless omission.

It makes me wonder if maybe they have other plans for Galaxy 2.  Where the collection are pretty much straight ports, Galaxy 2 might be next in line for the "Delux" treatment where more content is added and it gets a full release on its own.  Maybe even more polished visuals like with Xenoblade?

If that is the case, I can see why it would be left out for the time being.

I see where you going with this. My personal opinion is that if they do do this, then I would have much rather they did it for both Galaxy games and release it as a dual pack.

To me it is a weird choice to enhance one and not the other when both are on the same system.