By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games you love from genres you generally don't like

Don't play many JRPG's, but loved Golden Sun. FF7R was good, too.

Around the Network

I hate MMORPG, Rogue-lite / Rogue-ilke, MOBA and Battle Royale games.

There's not one game in these genre that I love. I can think of a few "decent" Rogue-lites though. Dead Cells for example was pretty good.

GoOnKid said:

Bioshock and Doom (2016) for first-person shooters come to mind. I don't hate these kind of games, but there are only very few of them that I enjoy. I despise military shooters like Call of Duty though. I'd never touch that. In fact, for me first-person shooters need to have something crazy, fantastic, artistic, surreal to them.

Skyrim for western RPGs. If I play a an RPG I want to experience a set story with pre-defined characters instead of making up my own story and building my character in an editor at the beginning. I just don't like that. In that way I enjoy JRPGs much much more because they tell a story that I can follow through with all it's ups and downs, with plot twists and surprises, heartwarming and shocking moments. A western rpg that only has a rather tiny main quest just cannot deliver that. However, I found out that I got quite invested in Skyrim once I got the hang of it.

There are plenty of WRPGs that either have pre-defined characters and story or have at least an origin story that defines your background and thus impacting your main quest and relation to other characters you meet on the way.

Out of my head I can think of Mass Effect series, The Witcher series, Dragon Age series, KOTOR series and Divinity: Original Sin series.

So yeah what you're describing is essentially Elder Scrolls and Fallout. A nobody who doesn't have a personality of its own and could start questing anywhere in an open world. The other games I mentioned are a lot more restricting in that regard.

Barozi said:
GoOnKid said:

Bioshock and Doom (2016) for first-person shooters come to mind. I don't hate these kind of games, but there are only very few of them that I enjoy. I despise military shooters like Call of Duty though. I'd never touch that. In fact, for me first-person shooters need to have something crazy, fantastic, artistic, surreal to them.

Skyrim for western RPGs. If I play a an RPG I want to experience a set story with pre-defined characters instead of making up my own story and building my character in an editor at the beginning. I just don't like that. In that way I enjoy JRPGs much much more because they tell a story that I can follow through with all it's ups and downs, with plot twists and surprises, heartwarming and shocking moments. A western rpg that only has a rather tiny main quest just cannot deliver that. However, I found out that I got quite invested in Skyrim once I got the hang of it.

There are plenty of WRPGs that either have pre-defined characters and story or have at least an origin story that defines your background and thus impacting your main quest and relation to other characters you meet on the way.

Out of my head I can think of Mass Effect series, The Witcher series, Dragon Age series, KOTOR series and Divinity: Original Sin series.

So yeah what you're describing is essentially Elder Scrolls and Fallout. A nobody who doesn't have a personality of its own and could start questing anywhere in an open world. The other games I mentioned are a lot more restricting in that regard.

Thanks!

Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

S.Peelman said:
Mario Kart is the only racing game I like.

^ this.

I dont really enjoy raceing games much, but Mario Kart is a exception.
Some games like Wipeout, also fit this, dispite being a raceing game, their very differnt from normal sim racers.

Around the Network

Splatoon >.<

Crash Team Racing too. But as community for CRT is not good on Switch I need to play MK8

I normally don't play many sports games, but I really like both the Punch Out!! and Wii Sports series.  Punch out is not trying to be a simulation of boxing and that is probably why it's so fun.  It has great characters and is half puzzle, half reflex gameplay.  Ironically Wii Sports (and Resort) are great games because they feel the most realistic.  They are simple, but the I really feel like I am swinging a tennis racket.

I normally do not like FPS games at all, but I have to admit that Bioshock is pretty good.  The environments are so interesting that I just loved exploring this underwater dystopian world.

I used to play a bunch of different fighters. But ever since Smash came out, nothing really compares anymore. I love what they did with the specials. Just 1 button and a direction? And it is the same for every character? Fantastic.

Kind of the same with racing games. Why would I play something more realistic when I can play the one with shells and bananas? I'll take Mario Kart over a realistic racer any day.

NNID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
3DS - Currently Gaming Like It's 2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
PC - Currently Gaming Like It's 2012 - Borderlands 2
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

I generally dislike realistic racing games but I loved Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec back in the ps2 era, but thats really the only one.
I clarify its only "realistic" games cause I love Mario Kart, CTM and some defunct franchises like FZero or Diddy Kong Racing.

I generally dislike sports games, even got sick of Fifa some years ago, but I loved Rocket League, tho im unsure if it should count as a "sports" game, but its listed as such.

After the PS2 gen I now dislike fighting games as I find them boring and repetitive, but I really like Guilty Gear and the Smash games.

Not into most puzzle games, but I love Panel de Pon and Tetris 99.

I like how dynamic they are and infinitely re-playable, kinda hard to replay other puzzle games when I already know the answers, which is the most fundamental part of it, with the likes of Panel de Pon and Tetris, is always a new puzzle in every decision, is simple and effective. Said Tetris 99 specifically because of the competitive aspect, something to always strive to do better beyond a high score.