By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games you love from genres you generally don't like

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Why would I ever admit to being anything other than a perfect equal-opportunity game connoisseur

Some people just find it hard to enjoy certain types of games. They may have tried to get into them many times (I tried for a long time to get into fighting games via Smash for instance) but it just doesn't float their boat.

Around the Network

Digimon World for whatever its genre is.

Raising game?

I hate racing-games but really like Mario Kart

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

They may have tried to get into them many times (I tried for a long time to get into fighting games via Smash for instance)

Smash isn't exactly representative of the fighting genre as a whole, if you haven't tried other games I don't think you've gotten a good grasp of the genre. Though, I don't think you'd be into any of its games anyway.

I did try other fighting games too, like Killer Instinct and Street Fighter, but yeah they just aren't for me, I get no enjoyment from them.

Throughout the 90's I avoided all of the fighting games out there.  But I started getting into them once Capcom started putting super heroes in their games.  Part of the reason was that there weren't any really good super hero games in the 90's, so a fighting game was the closest I could get.

Now I like Smash Bros too.  So I'm not sure if I can say I dislike fighting games anymore.  They are more like an average genre now, which I don't particularly like or hate.  But in the 90's I really hated fighting games, because so many arcade games were fighting games and in the 80's the arcades had a lot of variety.

Around the Network

The passive, point-and-click puzzler that stresses an emotional narrative and dialogue is usually the farthest thing from my style in terms of gaming - but I can't help but be drawn to Life is Strange. It's partly the depth of the writing, characters, and partly the neat concept of rewinding time and "redoing" a past event. 

I love Forza Horizon 4 even though I'm not typically into more straight-up racers. Though it has the open-world aspect and some arcade elements that I favor. 

Not really much for turn-based RPGs but I do dig Octopath Traveller - they at least add some interesting twists and make the battles somewhat interesting/exciting despite the slower pacing of turn-based battles. 

Love the Gears series (at least the first 3 games) even though I'm usually not as into the more linear, cinematic style of games wrought with greys and browns. Though much of this is because of the fun online gameplay. But I do appreciate the fluid animation and dynamic cover system too, as well as some of the crazy, satisfying weaponry. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

The Forza Horizon Series. I generally am not a fan of car racing games especally the serious simulators but Horizon does a great job making me enjoy racing cars.

DarthMetalliCube said:

Not really much for turn-based RPGs but I do dig Octopath Traveller - they at least add some interesting twists and make the battles somewhat interesting/exciting despite the slower pacing of turn-based battles. 

That reminds me, I usually can't stand turn-based RPGs but I was somehow still able to really enjoy Super Mario RPG on the SNES.

Shooters: Splatoon
Platformers: 3D World
Racing: Mario Kart
Fighting: Smash Bros

Makes it seem like I don't like most genres

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I dont like Arena Shooters, But i really enjoy playing Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 with my wife and daughter.
The split screen mode and silly humor of the game are very fun.