By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games you love from genres you generally don't like

What's a game (or games) you really loved, from a genre or type of game you generally dislike, and what made you like it?

Around the Network

Smash court tennis... Hate sport games.... well i kinda love tennis :P

Bioshock and Doom (2016) for first-person shooters come to mind. I don't hate these kind of games, but there are only very few of them that I enjoy. I despise military shooters like Call of Duty though. I'd never touch that. In fact, for me first-person shooters need to have something crazy, fantastic, artistic, surreal to them.

Skyrim for western RPGs. If I play a an RPG I want to experience a set story with pre-defined characters instead of making up my own story and building my character in an editor at the beginning. I just don't like that. In that way I enjoy JRPGs much much more because they tell a story that I can follow through with all it's ups and downs, with plot twists and surprises, heartwarming and shocking moments. A western rpg that only has a rather tiny main quest just cannot deliver that. However, I found out that I got quite invested in Skyrim once I got the hang of it.

Bioshock for FPS, Mass Effect for TPS. I also like the Mario Golf games a lot but don't generally like sports.

Disgaea/XCOM for TB RPG/TBS respectively.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

Mario Kart is the only racing game I like.

Even though I don't hate twin stick shooters, I nerver play them. Still I played and have fond memories of Dead Nation.
Perhaps I should try picking up another Housmarque game. I'm really lookong dorward to returnal.

Sports - Punch-Out!!
JRPG - Xenoblade and Octopath Traveller
Life Sim - Animal Crossing New Horizons
TBS - Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Racing - Mario Kart and Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled
Point and Click Adventure - Shadowgate

I am such a diverse gamer, that I am having a hard timebfinding a genre that I cannot actually enjoy. I mean, I never thought I would like a game like Animal Crossing, but I have sunken over 320 hours into it easily sooooooo...that?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Don't play many JRPG's, but loved Golden Sun. FF7R was good, too.