By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - August NPD 2020: Switch 504k, PS4 197k, XBO 45k

Looking on Amazon US right now, the Lite model is getting back to its normal MSRP price, which suggests that they’re getting shortages for those SKUs under control. But the hybrid models are still well above their MSRP price, which means they’re still struggling with those two.

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
Looking on Amazon US right now, the Lite model is getting back to its normal MSRP price, which suggests that they’re getting shortages for those SKUs under control. But the hybrid models are still well above their MSRP price, which means they’re still struggling with those two.

Yeah from what I'm seeing on the website, it seems that Amazon still has stock for gray switch lites but the other colors are going for slightly above msrp (around 20%.) The switch lite is serving as a easy way to fulfill demand for nintendo in the United States, which I don't think they originally intended. Fun fact, the switch lite makes up around 2/3rds of the Americas Switch system shipments.

Lucky Series S/X are here soon cos Xbone's on its deathbed.
Hopefully Xbox does better in the 9th gen than they have in the 8th, competition is good for us all.

The fact that the Switch exclusives are charting so well despite being in a disadvantage which is not counting digital sales makes it even more impressive.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
The fact that the Switch exclusives are charting so well despite being in a disadvantage which is not counting digital sales makes it even more impressive.

Especially when the digital ratio for Nintendo has noticeably been getting higher and higher each year since the Switch came out. Daniel Ahmed posted this chart on Twitter a while back where Nintendo's eShop sales are at around the same level the PSN was at in 2014 and getting higher.

Around the Network

5 out of the top 10 titles for tthe year are PS4 exclusives.... man, how the times have changed in the US.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

jenpol said:
Still climbing before the cliff :)

No, it's just falling up the cliff ;)

I`ll say it, Xbox had the biggest improvement Month over Month of all the 3.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

RolStoppable said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

If that was the case wouldn't the PS4 have been higher last month when the Xbone had abysmal stock? It was 150k then, so I don't see a clear connection. Regardless its a step up for everyone, didn't expect Xbox to recover or for the PS4 to be that high.

Last month didn't have any particular reason to have to have an Xbox, so people who couldn't get one would simply wait for the time being. This month had the yearly Madden and UFC releases, so those who couldn't get an Xbox in time for these releases were more inclined to get a PS4 instead of waiting until a later date. We are only talking about 20-30k units that went to the PS4 instead of the XB1 in August.

Ehh, I'm not convinced that Madden or UFC really sell systems this far into a gen, at least not in a noticable way. Xbone would probably have sold a bit more if the stock was there, but I doubt those sales would have been taken from PS4.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

DonFerrari said:
I`ll say it, Xbox had the biggest improvement Month over Month of all the 3.

Well, when you're extremely low, even an increase to just very low is a "big improvement".