By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will a Switch Pro release in 2021?

Will there be a Switch Pro in 2021?

Yes 25 56.82%

No 19 43.18%

Total:44

Now with multiple sources coming out saying a new Switch model is releasing with potentially an updated CPU or Updated RAM with potentially 1.4TFlops of performance, some credible like Bloomberg, do you think 2021 will be the year a Switch pro releases?

TBH I'm on the fence with it. Because multiple so called "credible" sources and major news outlets predicted a Switch pro would release this year in 2020. However, obviously that ended up not being true. So while Bloomberg and other sources are currently coming out and saying a new Switch model will release in 2021, I'm still somewhat doubtful to believe it.

However, at the same time I feel like it'll make sense for Nintendo to want to release a new model once the Switch hits that 4 year mark to continue its momentum going forward, it's likely that the Switch will peak in 2020 and Nintendo likely would want to keep the Switch's 2nd half strong with another Switch model, since the more options the merrier. And 4 years seems like a reasonable time-frame for Nintendo to release a new model, Nintendo did that with the New 3DS where it launched approximately 4 Years after the OG 3DS and the DSI launched 4 years after the original DS.

I'm also somwhat doubtful of a Switch pro because Nintendo has proven for the past 15 years that they couldn't give less fucks about power, I'm doubtful that Nintendo would be willing to release a 1.4TFLOP Switch that blows the OG Switch out the water that may be priced at a hefty 400$. I don't think Nintendo would be willing to have to deal with optimizing their games to look their best on an OG Switch and Switch Pro and price it at 400$ when not once Nintendo has priced a console over 400$, even when you adjust for inflation.

Also another question, what do you guys expect Nintendo to do with a Switch pro? Will it mainly be a slight upgrade like the New 3DS where the Switch's architecture is left the same just maybe make the Tegra X1 slightly more efficient/powerful. Or do you expect a noticeably large leap where the Switch uses a more modern GPU with more RAM, kinda like a leap from the OG Xbox One to the Xbox One X? Also, outside of specs what else would you expect from a Switch pro?

TBH I'm hopeful for a Switch pro, the rumor that Bloomberg is pointing towards is a 1.4TFLOP Switch, which would be amazing for a portable device that would essentially perform at PS4 level.

Around the Network

It will only have minor improvements

Setting yourself up for a letdown son. It will not be 1.4Tflops lol. Dream on. What you will get most likely. They shrink the Mariko X1 chip. A small boost in performance. May give it faster or more ram if lucky. Think 3DS to New 3DS. Some games will run in more solid frame rates but don't expect a PS4 in your bag.

Last edited by Leynos - on 30 August 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Ever since Nintendo stated outright that there wouldn't be a new Switch model this year, I've expected one next year. It would be shortly after the middle of the lifespan, so if they are making more models then it seems like the best time to do it. Whether or not it will be significantly more powerful remains to be seen though.

Edit: They also have a pattern to continue:

- BotW released alongside the Switch

- Link's Awakening released alongside the Switch Lite

- BotW sequel released alongside ???

Last edited by UnderwaterFunktown - on 30 August 2020

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Leynos said:

Setting yourself up for a letdown son. It will not be 1.4Tflops lol. Dream on. What you will get most likely. They shrink the Mariko X1 chip. A small boost in performance. May give it faster or more ram if lucky. Think 3DS to New 3DS. Some games will run in more solid frame rates but don't expect a PS4 in your bag.

The Switch isn't far off from being able to run XB1/PS4 tier games without too much fuss. 

The current Switch model can run games like Witcher 3 and DOOM as is, if you give an upgrade of even like 650 GFLOPS docked, I think the Switch can run a bunch of PS4 games. 

Will they look exactly as good, no, but they'll look better than the Witcher 3 port which a lot of people are perfectly fine with. 

Also Nvidia GFLOPS don't equate 1:1 with AMD GCN era GFLOPS either, Nvidia generally outperforms AMD especially those GCN era GPUs. 

The New 3DS actually wasn't that bad of an upgrade, it was a weird upgrade where the CPU was a monstrous upgrade (3x) and tons more RAM but they didn't touch the GPU, likely because the GPU was a niche design from a low level company (PICA2000), changing it probably would've meant Nintendo would have had to have paid a lot for a custom design. Nvidia is a much bigger company and can iterate the Tegra X1 a dozen different ways and then incorporate the new chip into various other products like the Nano board and Shield TV. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Leynos said:

The Switch isn't far off from being able to run XB1/PS4 tier games without too much fuss. 

The current Switch model can run games like Witcher 3 and DOOM as is, if you give an upgrade of even like 650 GFLOPS docked, I think the Switch can run a bunch of PS4 games. 

Will they look exactly as good, no, but they'll look better than the Witcher 3 port which a lot of people are perfectly fine with. 

Also Nvidia GFLOPS don't equate 1:1 with AMD GCN era GFLOPS either, Nvidia generally outperforms AMD especially those GCN era GPUs. 

I know about the flop thing with AMD/Nvid.  But you are not getting PS4 power in a Switch handheld until the Switch successor in 2-3 years and then it will have more modern feature sets like DLSS. You are not getting that in 2020 for the Switch price point and battery. You are talking about games that had to be scaled way down to fit on Switch and they are impressive but in terms of power. The switch is well behind even 2013 Xbox One. They are a lot of fuss. There is a reason Doom Eternal is taking so long and a lot of these ports are not done in house but outsourced. DQXI was in house but not really a port either. It was mostly built from the ground up for Switch and a lot of it was scaled back. UE4 thankfully pretty scaleable.It's a lot of work but Switch is selling well and these ports perform well. Cod games were scaled down to Nintendo DS because they did well enough. 360 to DS. 360 to Wii. Nothing to do with power why Switch is getting ports. It's a popular system. Wii got plenty of downscaled 360 games yet Wii was nowhere in 360's league. Yes power gap between Switch and PS4 is closer but it's still a country mile behind. Don't fool yourself the ports are because of power.

Flops are kinda a pointless stat anyway. Bits. Polygons Per Second. Flops. Who cares.

Leynos said:
Soundwave said:

I know about the flop thing with AMD/Nvid.  But you are not getting PS4 power in a Switch handheld until the Switch successor in 2-3 years and then it will have more modern feature sets like DLSS. You are not getting that in 2020 for the Switch price point and battery. You are talking about games that had to be scaled way down to fit on Switch and they are impressive but in terms of power. The switch is well behind even 2013 Xbox One. They are a lot of fuss. There is a reason Doom Eternal is taking so long and a lot of these ports are not done in house but outsourced. DQXI was in house but not really a port either. It was mostly built from the ground up for Switch and a lot of it was scaled back. UE4 thankfully pretty scaleable.It's a lot of work but Switch is selling well and these ports perform well. Cod games were scaled down to Nintendo DS because they did well enough. 360 to DS. 360 to Wii. Nothing to do with power why Switch is getting ports. It's a popular system. Wii got plenty of downscaled 360 games yet Wii was nowhere in 360's league. Yes power gap between Switch and PS4 is closer but it's still a country mile behind. Don't fool yourself the ports are because of power.

Flops are kinda a pointless stat anyway. Bits. Polygons Per Second. Flops. Who cares.

DQXI is a game even the PS4 struggles with, can't run it at full 1080p. Witcher 3 is probably the best example, the Switch version takes a resolution hit and some details are not there, but it is more or less the same game otherwise. 

If you were to die shrink a Tegra X1 to 7nm/8nm it would be able to hit about 690 GFLOPS docked ... that would open the door to a lot of XB1/PS4 ports. Especially if you boost the memory bandwidth to 50GB/sec. 

The Wii never got any actual 360 games really, most games had to be completely built from scratch, it's not at all like the Switch already being able to run Witcher 3, DOOM, Wolfenstein, etc. 

The GPD Win 2 can run games like Resident Evil Remake 2/3 and Monster Hunter Iceborne and that is a portable low level machine that is maybe a tad more powerful than the Switch, but a Switch Pro could probably top this in actual performance:

These aren't even developer optimized for the hardware whatsoever, they probably would look/run considerably better if they were tweaked by a developer specifically for the hardware. 

Soundwave said:
Leynos said:

DQXI is a game even the PS4 struggles with, can't run it at full 1080p. Witcher 3 is probably the best example, the Switch version takes a resolution hit and some details are not there, but it is more or less the same game otherwise. 

If you were to die shrink a Tegra X1 to 7nm/8nm it would be able to hit about 690 GFLOPS docked ... that would open the door to a lot of XB1/PS4 ports. Especially if you boost the memory bandwidth to 50GB/sec. 

The Wii never got any actual 360 games really, most games had to be completely built from scratch, it's not at all like the Switch already being able to run Witcher 3, DOOM, Wolfenstein, etc. 

The GPD Win 2 can run games like Resident Evil Remake 2/3 and Monster Hunter Iceborne and that is a portable low level machine that is maybe a tad more powerful than the Switch, but a Switch Pro could probably top this in actual performance:

These aren't even developer optimized for the hardware whatsoever, they probably would look/run considerably better if they were tweaked by a developer specifically for the hardware. 

The win machine is much more expensive so you lost there. $300 vs $700.Stop deluding yourself. So no. And once again. DQXI is not a port of the PS4 game. It's rebuilt for Switch using scaled back Geometry and was developed at the same time as the PS4. Switch version took  YEARS TO MAKE. It was announced in 2015 when it was still the NX. Switch version also uses a different version of UE4 not supported on PS4. DQXI does not run 1080P on Switch. It runs 720P-800P docked and below and 30FPS and below and that's with a custom build of the game.

Stop pretending flops mean something in this discussion. Sure they have some legit merit but not in the way people toss them out. It's like saying 128 bit for PS2 or something.You lost me as soon as you brought up a $700 system. You know what. My laptop from 2018 is more powerful than an Xbox One X. It also cost $1100 at that time. See how that works. You are not getting that performance at Switch price point. I'm done here. 

Yes, If Bloomberg has said it will be fulfilled as happened with the Switch Lite

I thought the rumors were it wasn't a big upgrade in terms of performance?

Its getting 8 GB of ram, and 128GB storage, and a slightly larger 1080 screen.
Apart from that, its just running a slight bit faster than the switch (rumors say its like 3DS -> New 3DS, style jump).

javi741 said:

Now with multiple sources coming out saying a new Switch model is releasing with potentially an updated CPU or Updated RAM with potentially 1.4TFlops of performance, some credible like Bloomberg, do you think 2021 will be the year a Switch pro releases?

Going from 397 Gflops -> 1400 Gflops (1.4Tflops) wouldn't be a switch pro, but instead a entirely new gen.
That would be a Switch 2.

Rumors say the jump isnt that big, its more akin to a 3DS->new 3DS.