By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will a Switch Pro release in 2021?

Will there be a Switch Pro in 2021?

Yes 25 56.82%

No 19 43.18%

Total:44

JRPGfan said:

Going from 397 Gflops -> 1400 Gflops (1.4Tflops) wouldn't be a switch pro, but instead a entirely new gen.
That would be a Switch 2.

Rumors say the jump isnt that big, its more akin to a 3DS->new 3DS.

Depends. going 397 to 1400 ( ~ 3,5 multiplier ) isnt automaticly a new generation.

See XB1S to XB1X 1300 -> 6000 ~= 4,6 multiplier

But I can only hope that a hypothetical switch pro would make such a large jump.

Because - even though some say otherwise - a systems specs DO affect the games released on it.

And with such a large boost, and nintendo being fine with midgen refreshs having exclusives (see n3ds) I'd expect a few games to come to the switch

ecosystem which would not, if such a "pro model" wouldnt exist.

-----------------

@Topic

I can neither say yes nor no to the TCs pool because both decisions would imply that I know, when in reality I dont, and this applies to everyone.

Would have been better to phrase it "do you believe that a Switch pro will release"

Nintendo Switch:

... announced as a Home Console

... advertised as a Hybrid

... delivered as a Portable

Around the Network

I'm really hoping all these rumors just ends up being a more powerful dock and Nintendo can just keep cost low by continuing making the OG Switch, and also keep OG Switch owners happy :P

And besides, if its a new model...3 different model in 4 years seems....desperate? But then again times are changing, and maybe since Switch is more of a handheld and similar to mobile devices they'll start making a new model every year? lol jk

I do think we might get some performance uptick (think DSi and New 3DS), but don't expect a big upgrade (even by mid-gen refresh standards). So I voted no. The rumors are that the Switch 2 will only perform around base PS4 level (in docked mode I would think). So something in between the power of that would make the next-gen upgrade not feel too big. And Nintendo is in sore need of a next-gen punch after Wii U to Switch (and GCN to Wii).

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Haven't we already gotten a Switch Pro like 3 times now? I seem to recall hearing this rumor every year since the Switch has been released.

Hope not.

I rather they focus on blowing our minds with Switch 2 when it finally comes out 3 or so years from now.

Around the Network

I feel like they'll definitely release something new. I agree that power isn't the best way to go. For me the biggest thing would be battery life, possibly a built in cover of sorts to make it easier to carry around, and, I may be in the minority here, a stylus and a slot for it.

I think the next phase for Nintendo is to really push more into the casual market. Release BOTW2 with the new model to show that there's still something for core gamers, and release a new Nintendogs. Create a new Wii Sports, but take some notes from Ring Fit and Golf Story and expand it into more of an adventure style game with some light RPG elements to keep people engaged.

That's what I'd do anyway.

javi741 said:

Now with multiple sources coming out saying a new Switch model is releasing with potentially an updated CPU or Updated RAM with potentially 1.4TFlops of performance, some credible like Bloomberg, do you think 2021 will be the year a Switch pro releases?

TBH I'm on the fence with it. Because multiple so called "credible" sources and major news outlets predicted a Switch pro would release this year in 2020. However, obviously that ended up not being true. So while Bloomberg and other sources are currently coming out and saying a new Switch model will release in 2021, I'm still somewhat doubtful to believe it.

However, at the same time I feel like it'll make sense for Nintendo to want to release a new model once the Switch hits that 4 year mark to continue its momentum going forward, it's likely that the Switch will peak in 2020 and Nintendo likely would want to keep the Switch's 2nd half strong with another Switch model, since the more options the merrier. And 4 years seems like a reasonable time-frame for Nintendo to release a new model, Nintendo did that with the New 3DS where it launched approximately 4 Years after the OG 3DS and the DSI launched 4 years after the original DS.

I'm also somwhat doubtful of a Switch pro because Nintendo has proven for the past 15 years that they couldn't give less fucks about power, I'm doubtful that Nintendo would be willing to release a 1.4TFLOP Switch that blows the OG Switch out the water that may be priced at a hefty 400$. I don't think Nintendo would be willing to have to deal with optimizing their games to look their best on an OG Switch and Switch Pro and price it at 400$ when not once Nintendo has priced a console over 400$, even when you adjust for inflation.

Also another question, what do you guys expect Nintendo to do with a Switch pro? Will it mainly be a slight upgrade like the New 3DS where the Switch's architecture is left the same just maybe make the Tegra X1 slightly more efficient/powerful. Or do you expect a noticeably large leap where the Switch uses a more modern GPU with more RAM, kinda like a leap from the OG Xbox One to the Xbox One X? Also, outside of specs what else would you expect from a Switch pro?

TBH I'm hopeful for a Switch pro, the rumor that Bloomberg is pointing towards is a 1.4TFLOP Switch, which would be amazing for a portable device that would essentially perform at PS4 level.

Most likely COVID and the supply chain disruption messed up any chance of releasing the system this year. I think it likely to happen. There were rumors of two models for a while and the Lite did eventually happen. I don't think it's going to be a replacement or a monumental improvement. I think it's mostly to keep third party ports on the system and Nintendo will update their older games to take advantage of it (better graphics, higher FPS). This generation will likely be longer for them so it helps to have a new model. 

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

V-r0cK said:
I'm really hoping all these rumors just ends up being a more powerful dock and Nintendo can just keep cost low by continuing making the OG Switch, and also keep OG Switch owners happy :P

And besides, if its a new model...3 different model in 4 years seems....desperate? But then again times are changing, and maybe since Switch is more of a handheld and similar to mobile devices they'll start making a new model every year? lol jk

Xb1 had 3 different models in 4 years, PS4 had 3 different models in 3 years. 3ds has 3 different models in 3 and a half years aswell. That’s just the way things work and I really don’t get the wording of “desperate” 

My questions on a Switch Pro, or whatever is equivalent, are:
- How much is it gonna cost? I don't know if enhanced tech (+ the features the Switch already has) would lead to a $300 price point..Not sure what would be Nintendo's mindset with a "Pro." When it came with the OG Switch, Kimishima stated that they were not going to sell the Switch at a loss. How much would a "Pro" cost with enhanced power and a battery that can manage 2-6 hours of gameplay like in BotW?
- Would a "Pro" affect the 61+ million (and counting) users of the OG Switch/Switch Lite? Not sure if exclusive games on a "Pro" would do well. Would be great to see FFVIIR, RE2R, and the like on Switch, but not sure if having them "Pro" only would be a wise decision if it means alienating the ones who have the regular Switch and do not plan to upgrade (especially due to the economic issues we have right now d/t COVID).

Kai_Mao said:
My questions on a Switch Pro, or whatever is equivalent, are:
- How much is it gonna cost? I don't know if enhanced tech (+ the features the Switch already has) would lead to a $300 price point..Not sure what would be Nintendo's mindset with a "Pro." When it came with the OG Switch, Kimishima stated that they were not going to sell the Switch at a loss. How much would a "Pro" cost with enhanced power and a battery that can manage 2-6 hours of gameplay like in BotW?
- Would a "Pro" affect the 61+ million (and counting) users of the OG Switch/Switch Lite? Not sure if exclusive games on a "Pro" would do well. Would be great to see FFVIIR, RE2R, and the like on Switch, but not sure if having them "Pro" only would be a wise decision if it means alienating the ones who have the regular Switch and do not plan to upgrade (especially due to the economic issues we have right now d/t COVID).

It's Nintendo. Likely a small performance boost or a new 3DS boost. A smaller version of the same chip can give a little extra performance and better battery life. Maybe some faster or more ram. Maybe 6-8GB and/or nearly double to the speed to something like 45-50GB per second. Likely the same price at $300 and they phase out the old Switch as they did with 3DS and DS before that. If they give it a name it will be something like New Nintendo Switch. LIkely won't affect anything in terms of what has been sold as it will be the same SOC just smaller. Switch lite prob remains mostly the same as it is now. I don't think we will see exclusive games on the New Switch but games that will take advantage of it's updated hardware to run nicer but will still have to run on older Switch systems, just not as solid.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!