By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will a Switch Pro release in 2021?

Will there be a Switch Pro in 2021?

Yes 25 56.82%

No 19 43.18%

Total:44
Cerebralbore101 said:

Stop calling it Switch Pro. It's not. Pro versions of consoles have a seriously upgraded GPU in them from the base model. This won't. 

Switch X

Switch Max

Switch Ultra

Switch+

Do they sound better for you?

Around the Network
wohufana said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Stop calling it Switch Pro. It's not. Pro versions of consoles have a seriously upgraded GPU in them from the base model. This won't. 

Switch X

Switch Max

Switch Ultra

Switch+

Do they sound better for you?

Going with the 3DS -> New 3DS analogy (in terms of power, the upg is).

New Switch ? :)

V-r0cK said:
MasonADC said:

Xb1 had 3 different models in 4 years, PS4 had 3 different models in 3 years. 3ds has 3 different models in 3 and a half years aswell. That’s just the way things work and I really don’t get the wording of “desperate” 

The difference is PS4 and Xbox One OG waited 3 years until their next model and it seems that was the end of it, no more new models after that. Switch Lite isn't even a year old and already talks of another model.  And Nintendo never mentioned another or more powerful model to be released after the Switch Lite when they decided to release the Lite, whereas Sony and MS did.

Also, the PS4 slim/PS4 Pro & XB1 S/XB1 X, they were release either simultaneously or shortly after, but they were released with both models informed together to the public can choose their preference. Unlike Nintendo where they just released a new model and keeping it silent about another model coming shortly later.

I only say 'desperate' because it looks like Nintendo wants to release another model to bump heads with the release of PS5/XBSX, when they head just released a new model recently, they couldn't even let the Lite sink in yet.  If Nintendo were to play it the way Sony and MS have been doing it then they should've held back on the release of the Lite and announce to release the Lite and the Switch Pro together and both to be released 2021 for consumers to choose from.

If this is the new normal then I'm just not familiar with it quite yet, and then maybe I shouldn't get the Switch Pro because after a year of it's release Nintendo may surprise us again with a Switch 2 or something.  

But if the rumor of a Switch Pro is false then everything I've said means nothing so we can all disregard this later (or can disregard right now, it's just my opinion on the matter is all lol)

I don't get why you think Nintendo should follow what Sony or Microsoft did exactly and if they don't they are somehow desperate in your mind. That's bizarre. Switch is a portable. Nintendo always releases multiple versions of their portable systems. It would be weird if an upgraded Switch wasn't coming out soon.

It's not the new normal, it's the old normal. Maybe you aren't familiar with Nintendo portables, but Nintendo always releases several versions, so I'm not sure why you would think 4+ years into the life cycle is desperately early to launch only a second new model. An upgrade coming out next year is pretty much expected, hell a lot of people thought it'd be this year. An upgraded Switch has nothing to do with bumping heads with PS5/XBX. It's still a Switch, not a Switch 2. This is Nintendo just doing what they always do. I'm not sure why you think it is such a unique thing. This isn't a surprise to anyone. Switch 2 is still several years off, next year is the perfect time to bring out a new model as this will likely be Switch's peak year, and it makes sense for the original version to get discounted once sales slow down and Nintendo to introduce a new version at the same time.

I also don't know why you act like Nintendo hid something from gamers. You say they kept quiet about another upgrade coming out soon when the Lite came out. You realize we're talking about another model coming out next year right? Two years after the Lite. That's like saying Nintendo should have told consumers that there would be a $200 Lite when the Switch launched so gamers could decide which one they want. 

Anybody who is surprised by this has never paid attention to Nintendo before.

imparanoic said:
Jumpin said:
I really hate the “Switch Pro” label, it sounds silly.

Pro editions of stuff indicates that they’re designed and licensed to the user for professional use. Calling a new generation of Switch a “Switch Pro” is both pretentious and not particularly good messaging to the market.

like with all nintendo portables through history, they will release stop gap productions from same generation with slight improvements and it's not next gen, every 2 years,  look at gameboy advance, gba sp, gba micro, ds, ds lite, dsi/dsi xl, 3ds/xl, new 3ds and 2ds/xl

on the other hand, more than likely next gen switch, probably called switch 2 released in 2023 (six years in portable is general rule since ds for next gen) as they don't want to make mistake with last time, wii u and confuse their core market, non savvy/casual gamers 

Honestly, I think the Wii U confusion was limited to the US, I never heard of it happening to anyone otherwise. Were they confused by 3DS branding, too?

DSi and GBA sp and such make sense as simple upgrade version branding, although new 3DS was a bit strange. The "Pro" label is weird because it's already a well-established thing, which is business/professional usage instead of home/private usage.

It would be like if someone added "Light" to their new cola product strictly for branding purposes; only people would expect a sugar-free cola.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Very unlikely as I see it.

2021 will only be Switch's fifth holiday season, and any sufficiently "pro" model would effectively be Nintendo's next console.

Around the Network

I'd say yes, but it's more likely that it will be a Switch XL (like the 3DS XL) and a minor upgrade if you already own a Switch. Maybe bigger screen with higher resolution and better battery to run 1080p in handheld mode, but possibly just a small advantage in TV mode.

Don't forget the dual screen support, which has been added with the Switch firmware 10.0.0, so a 3DS-like Switch is not out of question.

Last edited by siebensus4 - on 04 September 2020

At 1st i thoight no bcuz i dont think small improvements to a current gen syatem makes that much sense. that includes ps4 and xbx. but then i remembered nintendo has done it with all their recent handhelds. So yeah, itll exsist and not really be necessary. Would prefer a successor if it meant more on cart AAA ports.