By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will a Switch Pro release in 2021?

Will there be a Switch Pro in 2021?

Yes 25 56.82%

No 19 43.18%

Total:44

Doubt Nintendo will "gift away" a higher end model out of the goodness of their hearts for only $299.99.

Think it will be priced $349.99-$369.99.

Current Switch stays at $299.99.

If you can't afford that, there's the Switch Lite.

I doubt very much Nintendo will cut hardware prices when sales are this high as is. The new model if its real will likely occupy a higher tier price bracket, just like PS4 Pro and X1X does. Even DSi and New 3DS I believe were more expensive. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 30 August 2020

Around the Network

I really hate the “Switch Pro” label, it sounds silly.

Pro editions of stuff indicates that they’re designed and licensed to the user for professional use. Calling a new generation of Switch a “Switch Pro” is both pretentious and not particularly good messaging to the market.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Pro editions of stuff indicates that they’re designed and licensed to the user for professional use. Calling a new generation of Switch a “Switch Pro” is both pretentious and not particularly good messaging to the market.

Just remember, it's a nickname that fans started on forums. So it's just a nickname until we get an official new Switch.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Jumpin said:

Too early for a new generation switch if this thing is coming out next year.

Nintendo uses the "Pro" branding already themselves, "Pro Controller". They could also use "Deluxe" or "New" or whatever.

Around the Network

ps4 and xbox one is far more powerful than switch, switch is more comparable to ps3 more than anything else, i own switch and ps4 pro, two very different levels in visual fidelity, but the advantages are different

Jumpin said:

like with all nintendo portables through history, they will release stop gap productions from same generation with slight improvements and it's not next gen, every 2 years,  look at gameboy advance, gba sp, gba micro, ds, ds lite, dsi/dsi xl, 3ds/xl, new 3ds and 2ds/xl

on the other hand, more than likely next gen switch, probably called switch 2 released in 2023 (six years in portable is general rule since ds for next gen) as they don't want to make mistake with last time, wii u and confuse their core market, non savvy/casual gamers 

MasonADC said:
V-r0cK said:
I'm really hoping all these rumors just ends up being a more powerful dock and Nintendo can just keep cost low by continuing making the OG Switch, and also keep OG Switch owners happy :P

And besides, if its a new model...3 different model in 4 years seems....desperate? But then again times are changing, and maybe since Switch is more of a handheld and similar to mobile devices they'll start making a new model every year? lol jk

Xb1 had 3 different models in 4 years, PS4 had 3 different models in 3 years. 3ds has 3 different models in 3 and a half years aswell. That’s just the way things work and I really don’t get the wording of “desperate” 

The difference is PS4 and Xbox One OG waited 3 years until their next model and it seems that was the end of it, no more new models after that. Switch Lite isn't even a year old and already talks of another model.  And Nintendo never mentioned another or more powerful model to be released after the Switch Lite when they decided to release the Lite, whereas Sony and MS did.

Also, the PS4 slim/PS4 Pro & XB1 S/XB1 X, they were release either simultaneously or shortly after, but they were released with both models informed together to the public can choose their preference. Unlike Nintendo where they just released a new model and keeping it silent about another model coming shortly later.

I only say 'desperate' because it looks like Nintendo wants to release another model to bump heads with the release of PS5/XBSX, when they head just released a new model recently, they couldn't even let the Lite sink in yet.  If Nintendo were to play it the way Sony and MS have been doing it then they should've held back on the release of the Lite and announce to release the Lite and the Switch Pro together and both to be released 2021 for consumers to choose from.

If this is the new normal then I'm just not familiar with it quite yet, and then maybe I shouldn't get the Switch Pro because after a year of it's release Nintendo may surprise us again with a Switch 2 or something.  

But if the rumor of a Switch Pro is false then everything I've said means nothing so we can all disregard this later (or can disregard right now, it's just my opinion on the matter is all lol)

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Haven't we already gotten a Switch Pro like 3 times now? I seem to recall hearing this rumor every year since the Switch has been released.

There was a rumor of a Switch Pro, around the same time as the Switch lite rumors were out.
The switch lite rumor turned out to be real.

Since then, there hasn't been any news about it, until now.
They found some patents for a new switch design.

This is why there are rumors of a new switch.
Patents says so.

Thats also why they know, it'll be 8gb ram on it.
Its listed in the patent.

Also the reciver for the joy-cons, instead of 1, each side of the switch is getting one, to improve signals to it.
Theres small differnces. It will likely also launch with a bigger screen (not shown in the patents, but if you look at the switch plastic shroud, you can see the screen doesnt fill the entire area left for screen space, likely this is because they orginally planned a larger screen, but couldnt get it at right prices so went with a smaller one (or they planned ahead, so in future they could put a bigger screen in))

So this Switch pro, will be much like the Switch Lite.
It wont be a crazy differnce compaired to the older Switch models.
I've heard people say its akin to 3DS -> New 3DS.

Just curious but why did 50% vote no, when theres patents for a new switch model?

Did nintendo just reg. new patents for a switch for fun?
Common, its comeing, and yes likely in 2021.