By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will a Switch Pro release in 2021?

Will there be a Switch Pro in 2021?

Yes 25 56.82%

No 19 43.18%

Total:44
Leynos said:
Soundwave said:

DQXI is a game even the PS4 struggles with, can't run it at full 1080p. Witcher 3 is probably the best example, the Switch version takes a resolution hit and some details are not there, but it is more or less the same game otherwise. 

If you were to die shrink a Tegra X1 to 7nm/8nm it would be able to hit about 690 GFLOPS docked ... that would open the door to a lot of XB1/PS4 ports. Especially if you boost the memory bandwidth to 50GB/sec. 

The Wii never got any actual 360 games really, most games had to be completely built from scratch, it's not at all like the Switch already being able to run Witcher 3, DOOM, Wolfenstein, etc. 

The GPD Win 2 can run games like Resident Evil Remake 2/3 and Monster Hunter Iceborne and that is a portable low level machine that is maybe a tad more powerful than the Switch, but a Switch Pro could probably top this in actual performance:

These aren't even developer optimized for the hardware whatsoever, they probably would look/run considerably better if they were tweaked by a developer specifically for the hardware. 

The win machine is much more expensive so you lost there. $300 vs $700.Stop deluding yourself. So no. And once again. DQXI is not a port of the PS4 game. It's rebuilt for Switch using scaled back Geometry and was developed at the same time as the PS4. Switch version took  YEARS TO MAKE. It was announced in 2015 when it was still the NX. Switch version also uses a different version of UE4 not supported on PS4. DQXI does not run 1080P on Switch. It runs 720P-800P docked and below and 30FPS and below and that's with a custom build of the game.

Stop pretending flops mean something in this discussion. Sure they have some legit merit but not in the way people toss them out. It's like saying 128 bit for PS2 or something.You lost me as soon as you brought up a $700 system. You know what. My laptop from 2018 is more powerful than an Xbox One X. It also cost $1100 at that time. See how that works. You are not getting that performance at Switch price point. I'm done here. 

Apples to oranges on the price, the GPD Win has to be sold at a large mark up because the manufacturer makes no money on the games or services. They have to make all the profit they're ever going to make on the hardware. 

The Tegra X1 was in the Google Pixel C tablet when it first launched and that tablet was $600 at launch. It didn't magically make the Switch $600 too, even though both devices are powered by the same chip. 

The GPD Win 2 is about 30% more powerful than the Switch if that. The GPD Win 2 has problems running Witcher 3 for example, which a Switch can run. A Switch Pro could eclipse a GPD Win 2 in actual performance, especially since devs have to optimize for it.

Around the Network

Yes there will be a switch pro next year, and I really need a new switch so I hope it’s sooner in the year than later

Stop calling it Switch Pro. It's not. Pro versions of consoles have a seriously upgraded GPU in them from the base model. This won't. 

Soundwave said:
Leynos said:

The win machine is much more expensive so you lost there. $300 vs $700.Stop deluding yourself. So no. And once again. DQXI is not a port of the PS4 game. It's rebuilt for Switch using scaled back Geometry and was developed at the same time as the PS4. Switch version took  YEARS TO MAKE. It was announced in 2015 when it was still the NX. Switch version also uses a different version of UE4 not supported on PS4. DQXI does not run 1080P on Switch. It runs 720P-800P docked and below and 30FPS and below and that's with a custom build of the game.

Stop pretending flops mean something in this discussion. Sure they have some legit merit but not in the way people toss them out. It's like saying 128 bit for PS2 or something.You lost me as soon as you brought up a $700 system. You know what. My laptop from 2018 is more powerful than an Xbox One X. It also cost $1100 at that time. See how that works. You are not getting that performance at Switch price point. I'm done here. 

Apples to oranges on the price, the GPD Win has to be sold at a large mark up because the manufacturer makes no money on the games or services. They have to make all the profit they're ever going to make on the hardware. 

Explaining why the Win2 is so much more expensive doesn't remove the fact that it is much more expensive. It's a $700 machine, that also requires you to buy tons of storage space, because it lacks physical carts, or a large built in HDD. Also, PC games aren't specially made to run on it. Games like DQ11, Witcher 3, and Doom were custom ported to Switch in order to get them to run at acceptable levels on Nintendo's console. 

What about design?

Will they come with something different?

Cerebralbore101 said:

Stop calling it Switch Pro. It's not. Pro versions of consoles have a seriously upgraded GPU in them from the base model. This won't. 

Soundwave said:

Explaining why the Win2 is so much more expensive doesn't remove the fact that it is much more expensive. It's a $700 machine, that also requires you to buy tons of storage space, because it lacks physical carts, or a large built in HDD. Also, PC games aren't specially made to run on it. Games like DQ11, Witcher 3, and Doom were custom ported to Switch in order to get them to run at acceptable levels on Nintendo's console. 

Pro is just a name fans give to upgrades. New 3ds is a pro 3ds in my eyes. 

Around the Network

I think next year's Switch model will be more like a Switch V3 than a Switch Pro.

Nintendo gonna announce that they bought Razer, and the Razer Blade 15/17 will now be able to play any Nintendo game and upgrade them with ray tracing. The Switch Pro is just code for their new line of high end laptops and cell phones which can also play Nintendo games. Nintendo is going full throttle invading your hands, pants, and lap.

You heard it here first!

Dulfite said:

Nintendo gonna announce that they bought Razer, and the Razer Blade 15/17 will now be able to play any Nintendo game and upgrade them with ray tracing. The Switch Pro is just code for their new line of high end laptops and cell phones which can also play Nintendo games. Nintendo is going full throttle invading your hands, pants, and lap.

You heard it here first!

If Nintendo bought a phone company, and then started porting their games exclusively to that company's phones, they would make a mountain of cash. Instead of Android/iOS it would be Andriod/iOS/Nintendo. Capturing 1/3rd of the mobile phone hardware market would be insane for them!

Cerebralbore101 said:
Dulfite said:

You heard it here first!

If Nintendo bought a phone company, and then started porting their games exclusively to that company's phones, they would make a mountain of cash. Instead of Android/iOS it would be Andriod/iOS/Nintendo. Capturing 1/3rd of the mobile phone hardware market would be insane for them!

DO YOU BELIEVE

Yes I fully expect a premium Switch to come out next year. The Lite came out 2 years after Switch launch, and in a year it'll have been 2 years since the Lite, so it makes sense time-wise. A premium Switch launch a year from now will give it likely 2.5 years to sell before a successor system comes out, so again, that makes sense as they probably wouldn't want to release their upgrade model less than two years before a Switch successor comes out.

Also I don't know why people argue about it being a switch "pro". "Pro" just refers to an upgraded Switch. Pro doesn't mean anything other than a higher end model. People just use the term Pro because that is what Sony used for their PS4 upgrade so it is on people's minds as a term for an upgraded system and its a generic term for a better version of something.

Also, I don't know why people are expecting a vastly upgraded Switch thats at like PS4 power. This isn't a new gen, it's just an upgraded model of the system. All games will still need to be playable on the OG Switch and the Lite. This isn't a new gen or a half new gen where there will be Switch games and then Pro games that can't be played on all Switches. That idea is absurd. Nintendo is known for power upgrades (not sure why the OP says they aren't known for pushing power/graphics) but anytime they've done it (RAM expansion pack, GBC, New 3DS) there have only been 5 or less games released that required the better model or expansion pack. It is still gonna be the Switch, all games will be playable on all Switches, stop expecting some halfway new gen 4+ years into what is gonna be a 7 year life cycle. The rumors said something about the new model having some sort of new interactive features, not sure what that could be but if that allows new kinds of games or inputs then that would be the only thing in which a handful of games are "Pro" only games, and again, as has always been the case at most it would be like 5 games that have a "Pro-only" label on the box because this rumored new interactive feature is essential to the game.

There are pretty standard upgrades that I think we should expect: bigger screen, perhaps a higher quality screen (not in resolution but in type of screen), hopefully bluetooth, maybe more battery life, more internal storage, perhaps a bit increased RAM and other specs that allow for framerate/resolution upgrades for existing games - like 700p to 1080p and 30fps to 60fps, that kinda of thing ya know, the type of thing you'd expect from a premium model. Basically I'd expect it to clear up any slowdown in some existing games and raise the resolution of lower res games up to being around the max res for the system. It's not going to bring in any games that couldn't already be ported to the Switch, because they would still need to run on the original Switch specs.

Price wise I don't think there is any way Nintendo goes over $300. This will just allow them to drop the price of existing systems to catch those who have been holding out on a cheaper Switch, while keeping the $300 price point until very late in the Switch's lifecycle. I imagine a premium Switch staying at $300 until within a year of a Switch 2 launch, allowing the Switch 2 to then launch at $300-$350 while Switch models are at that point maybe $130/$180/$230 or something like that, or maybe they eventually stop production of the OG Switch and we have a Lite/Premium at like $150/$230 by the time Switch 2 comes out.

So Pro, Premium, New, whatever you want to call it, yes I think it would be very surprising if it doesn't launch next year. But stop expecting it to be some brand new system that plays different games. The library will be the same, all games will be playable on all version of the Switch, because it's not a new gen, it's just an upgraded model like Nintendo has always done with their portables.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 30 August 2020