By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Flight Simulator Thread - Metacritic 93 Opencritic 92

Goodnight and welcome to Flight Simulator review thread. Reception so far have been very strong. Let's see at what score it will settle.

Aug 17, 2020
Microsoft Flight Simulator is a marvelous use of technology to create one of the most wonderful and spectacular looking games I've ever played. Never a proponent of realism, it simply works here thanks to thousands of handcrafted buildings, as well as certain exceptionally detailed cities, planes and airports, giving you something that is a sheer joy to explore. This attention to detail expands to the controls of the planes, though Asobo ensured it's accessible through easy to use Xbox controller functions. Once you're past the learning curve and the full functions of the planes are at your disposal, there's little that can be said other than this as close to perfect as could be hoped. There are some very slight issues, such as long loading times - expected due to what is being loaded - but every square inch of the Earth is accessible and it's always worth the wait, particularly thanks to the number of options at your disposal. There's no doubt in my mind that this will be a platform that will last long into the future.
Aug 17, 2020
Microsoft Flight Simulator is a once-in-a-generation technical showpiece that will change how you look at flight sim games forever.
Aug 17, 2020
Microsoft Flight Simulator is legitimately incredible. It's difficult to fully describe how amazing it feels to jump into a plane and have the freedom fly to and from literally any place in the entire world. The base game's 20 included aircraft feel like more than enough for even hardcore aviation enthusiasts, and the ability to adjust the assists to tailor the experience to whatever skill level you desire makes it suitable for anyone looking to fly the friendly skies from the comfort of their home. The real-world mapping data, however, takes Microsoft Flight Simulator from being just an impressive game to the most awe-inspiring simulation I've ever experienced, in spite of its less than stellar load times. Seeing famous landmarks, landing at the world's most recognizable airports, or just touching down in a remote landing strip in South America is mind-bogglingly cool and an absolutely unparalleled way to virtually explore our world.
Aug 17, 2020
If you are an experienced pilot and already have X-Plane with premium paid content, you won't upgrade to Microsoft Flight Simulator. Well, not right away. Because if we can find problems with Asobo's baby, none of them is insolvable and will undoubtedly see improvements to strive even more towards perfection. As it stands, Flight Simulator is already a benchmark platform that will undoubtedly establish itself as the civil flight simulation of the decade. Checkmate.
Aug 17, 2020
Microsoft Flight Simulator is simply the best flight sim money can buy at the moment, and is the rightful heir to Flight Simulator X, while making us forget about the very poor Microsoft Flight from 2012.
Aug 17, 2020
The work done by Asobo and Microsoft on the technical and simulation front is in fact simply colossal and cannot fail to be rewarded.
Aug 17, 2020
Microsoft Flight Simulator is a massive generational leap from its predecessor, and every time I play the game I’m blown away by just how good it looks. From a completely simulated physics system with wind, weather and more, to highly detailed aircraft and airports, it’s truly something worth checking out. Even if you’ve never played a Flight Sim before, you have to pick up this game. Flight Simulator is a revolutionary game for all kinds of reasons, and once the technical issues are out of the way – I truly believe it will be a legendary PC game. Give it a few months, I’ll bump it up to a 5/5.
32 reviews so far on Metacritic and a 93 score, pretty stellar. 1 more day for it to be open for users review.
34 reviews so far on Opencritic and a 92 score.
Let's given a month what the score will be. And being this a game that will have continued support and updates it shall only get better in the future.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Xbox series x need this game to show true next generation gaming.
Very good reviews. 91 is what i predicted before launch.

It should be a generational leap after 14 years lol. Less than 2 hours before I can start downloading!

Windows updates all done (need at least version 1909 for the game to run) check.
Disk cleanup done, 205 GB precious SSD space available (need 150 GB and room for rolling cache), check.
NVidea drivers updated (released today for FS2020), check.
Page file re-enabled (got 16GB system ram but the game needs a lot and non game memory can be swapped out)
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro dusted off and recognized by windows 10, check.

Expectations tempered (some people are playing already) cockpit view of larger planes have issues, sub 18 fps on RTX 2080 while landing at detailed airports.

Tip: disable AI traffic for now, it seems to be the biggest factor that brings fps to its knees.
-AI traffic seems to be a massive FPS hog. In scenario's where I would have 45-ish without AI traffic on, I will get more like 20 or lower with AI traffic enabled.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 17 August 2020

Well I'm more then likely will never play it even if it gets a console port. But it looks like it will easily be the best game in the franchise.

Now all they need to do is update the game with Ray Tracing and the GPU Genocide will be up on us.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Spoiler!
When you are downloading Flight Sim, it downloads certain parts, then your cpu needs to decompress it before it downloads the next part. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes to download a part and then 30 seconds for my 3900X CPU to decompress it.
Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 18 August 2020

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Just watched a few performance videos on YouTube the frame rate is terrible how has it scored that high. Gameplay looks very stuttery unlike DCS

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

If this comes out on series x I will buy it just for this.

Skeeuk said:
Just watched a few performance videos on YouTube the frame rate is terrible how has it scored that high. Gameplay looks very stuttery unlike DCS

Than play it on lower settings and problem is solved.

Also what is DCS?

I guess it makes more sense to post my experience so far in here

Installation complete. Play time 7 hours (no refund option on Steam since it downloads the MS installer then downloading the actual game counts as play time), just got to the profile screen. The amount of settings and key bindings is rather overwhelming.

Not that you can sample this game in 2 hours, but it would be enough to see if it runs acceptably enough or not. Starting at level 0, next level at 50 hours lol. Premium deluxe version install size is 94.24 GB. No wait it only downloaded the base version. Only 20 planes instead of 30 hmm. I didn't pay double the price to only get the base version. Back to the installer :/

Missing content
Hello everyone, some players might experience issues getting the content of the edition bought! We are aware of the situation, the team is looking into it. [UPDATE] Our team is currently looking into the issue.

It may take up to few more hours for the additional content to unlock. Your Deluxe or Deluxe Premium content will then be downloaded via the Content Manager.

In the meantime, we recommend doing the following

Close Microsoft Flight Simulator
Close Steam
Open Steam
Launch Microsoft Flight Simulator
Wait for the Content Manager to search for updates and download the missing packages.

Day one, always fun!

Could be worse, tons of installation issues on the Steam forums.

You wonder what the beta was for....

It recognized my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro anyway. DS4 no go. (Didn't try my xbox controller, should work, DS4 was just charging on the laptop so it came up)

Hmm, no good. Takes forever to start, then forever to check content but nothing comes up. I guess I'll try the standard edition first.

No support on Steam, just directs to MS
https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015946980-Missing-Deluxe-or-Deluxe-Premium-content
I guess make a support ticket tomorrow.

Lol whut, was just flying straight, too much throttle?

First flight lasted 2 minutes before the screen went black.
Anyway looks awesome, frame rate not bad at 1080p with high settings (at my local low density airport)
Turning stress damage off, no warning or anything, just a black screen, dumb.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 18 August 2020