By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Flight Simulator Thread - Metacritic 93 Opencritic 92

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

The graphics seem great for the scale, but it seems that when you get close (at least your screenshots) it doesn't have that much detail and textures are simple (both understandable due to the size of the simulation).

Yep, lower than 200 feet and it starts getting pretty rough. The grass next to the runway looks pretty good but building textures are plain.

It's night time now

Landing at night, street lights are nothing but floating light points. Looks great from 200 feet up, rough from the ground. It's a flight sim, not ready for truck simulator (yet)

This seems gorgeous if you look for the small spots of light but don't pay extra attention to it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I was surprised to see not only 3d modelled cars, but trucks and buses as well. Usually those are just lights. Hopefully they fix the flying vehicles since sometimes when you go close to a bridge, you see them flying. In the city they seem fine though.

I get the feeling that because this game is so massive, they are gonna continue to improve on the graphics and textures. I'd be curious to see what the Series X version looks like compared to the PC.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

John2290 said:

What is the crash effects like? Any destruction on buildings? And for that matter, any land or water based vehicles in motion?

No crash effects at all, screen blacks out with game over message. Restart or return to menu.

Basically the same screen as this

I turned the stress damage off since it doesn't warn you nor tell you what you did wrong.

It is quite lenient with landings and wings clipping trees and AI cars going straight through you, but can also be quite finicky fitting under bridges and staying away from 'hilly' water. Still some bugs to iron out.

There are vehicles driving around and there should be boats as well (haven't spotted any yet). They follow simple straight paths, right angle turns, go through each other, basically same as fsx. You can turn AI air traffic on to see other people and real air traffic yet that seems to be a huge hit on fps for now. There are planes taxiing at airports and support vehicles driving around. They sometimes disappear or go through each other, it's window dressing. I created a traffic jam by parking on the taxi lane, after a while the vehicles simply faded out. But they stopped for me! (Unlike road traffic that completely ignores you)

So no destruction and iffy collision detection.

Stay in the air :) I flew on to Kitchener, landed there at the airport. The Shock Ultra has no landing lights lol, so dark!

I'm extremely impressed at how easy it is to follow roads etc and recognize where I'm going. The in game map is severely lacking, yet don't need it at all to find my way around so far :)

Captain_Yuri said:
I was surprised to see not only 3d modelled cars, but trucks and buses as well. Usually those are just lights. Hopefully they fix the flying vehicles since sometimes when you go close to a bridge, you see them flying. In the city they seem fine though.

I get the feeling that because this game is so massive, they are gonna continue to improve on the graphics and textures. I'd be curious to see what the Series X version looks like compared to the PC.

physical simulation of this magnitude must be a nightmare.

@Sven, I'm really grateful for your impressions so far.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

I took a trip to Germany to visit my favorite track, Nurburgring Nordschleife. I couldn't find any airport closer than Bonn with Google so started there and headed south. On the way I found Wershofen/Eifel on the in game map which is a closer starting point, code EDRV. From there it's due South-East until you recognize the race track :)

The race complex is pretty big from the air, hard to miss

The Grand prix circuit is in the top left. The long straight and tourist entry for the Nordschleife at the bottom. Aremberg is top right, with Flugplatz middle top.

Fun to fly around, here looking at the entry (past the chicane) to the Nordschleife from the grand prix circuit.

Here's where the race track crosses Adenau

And the famous Karussell

It gets a bit hard to follow here and there because it's almost completely covered under the trees. I know the track inside out so was easy to stay on track and around back to the long straight.

Unfortunately don't get too close. From the ground it looks like it has been abandoned since the 80s lol.

I'm on the race course here... I also tried landing at the finish but there are some nasty bumps in the not actual road terrain that make the plane flip over on landing :/

Fun, Monaco tomorrow!

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

I took a trip to Germany to visit my favorite track, Nurburgring Nordschleife. I couldn't find any airport closer than Bonn with Google so started there and headed south. On the way I found Wershofen/Eifel on the in game map which is a closer starting point, code EDRV. From there it's due South-East until you recognize the race track :)

The race complex is pretty big from the air, hard to miss

The Grand prix circuit is in the top left. The long straight and tourist entry for the Nordschleife at the bottom. Aremberg is top right, with Flugplatz middle top.

Fun to fly around, here looking at the entry (past the chicane) to the Nordschleife from the grand prix circuit.

Here's where the race track crosses Adenau

And the famous Karussell

It gets a bit hard to follow here and there because it's almost completely covered under the trees. I know the track inside out so was easy to stay on track and around back to the long straight.

Unfortunately don't get too close. From the ground it looks like it has been abandoned since the 80s lol.

I'm on the race course here... I also tried landing at the finish but there are some nasty bumps in the not actual road terrain that make the plane flip over on landing :/

Fun, Monaco tomorrow!

Do some Top Gear shenanigan like Jeremy Clarkson and lap your time racing it with the aircraft following the line the best you can on the air.

Remember the first time when google earth released and everyone was trying to find their own house etc? I get the same vibe with people flying around their towns... I can see myself spending days in the game =p

Where's cgi screenshot. Apparently the game on ultra at 4k with usage of the cloud looks glorious and cripples high end graphics card

dane007 said:
Where's cgi screenshot. Apparently the game on ultra at 4k with usage of the cloud looks glorious and cripples high end graphics card

hes still in the air

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

dane007 said:

A Brazilian channel running FS on a 10k PC with SLI 2080 if I'm not wrong. It used 80% of the GPU but still couldn't keep 60fps, and they didn't try 4k, they used 3 monitors in FullHD.