By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Flight Simulator Thread - Metacritic 93 Opencritic 92

All these screens are giving me blue balls. Want to play :(

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

I feel like my GTX 1070 can scrape by, but my i5 4690k will be crushed. Anybody else trying this with a older CPU?

Last edited by brendude13 - on 19 August 2020

I recorded a couple videos on my laptop.
i7 8750h (2.2 ghz) 16 GB RAM GTX 1060 6 GB, high settings, live weather, no AI traffic.

First two are the daily races for the week at GT Sport, so I looked them up. Not easy since the in game map sucks and there doesn't seem to be a way to view or input gps coordinates. It's basically starting at an airport nearby, head in right compass direction and alt-tab to google maps to follow roads and rivers.

Spa, departure airport La Sauveniere, head south west, nearby.

Autopolis, departure airport Kumamoto, head NNE for about 10 nautical miles, 22 km, hard to find.

I also went to Road Atlanta starting at Hartsfield-Jackson, long flight North following the highways.

The USA is much more detailed, Atlanta looks very good. My fps was below 10 at the airport though.
I crashed at the end trying to land at a rather dubious airfield.

Detail is not great up close, however this is all just from sat data. The race track isn't actually road (no AI cars and grass growing on it) so for something that was never added it's quite remarkable how recognizable it is.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 19 August 2020

I might need to take a look at den haag and rotterdam see if i recognise some big roads/landmarks etc.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Playing it since yesterday and I love the game. I have a 2 GTX1080 in SLI and this is just beautiful.
One thing that actually really surprised me about the game is that I installed it on my laptop (Alienware with a GTX1080 mobile) and my son's laptop (I believe he has a GTX1650 mobile)... And the game runs... super smoothly on both.

Of course the graphic settings are lowered and it is not as pretty as my main PC (did not change any of them after installing so far) but this is really impressive. Game is scaling down without any problem.

Also, game is fully playable with an Xbox controller (or even keyboard / mouse only I think) but I recommend getting a joystick. I am using a very cheap one (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro) and it is a big upgrade over a gamepad (which is not bad per say).

Around the Network

The clouds and lighting are truly nuts

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 19 August 2020

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Nice! I guess I should fly a bit higher than 200 ft now and then haha.
I climbed above the clouds once while looking for the Nordschleife, since it was overcast and dripping.

It's sure pretty high up as well!

I went out cycling today for 3 hours, then flew the same route in FS 2020 (didn't take three hours in the air lol) So cool to recognize everything from the air. Yes, some things are missing, buildings aren't the right height (for example big hospital in Cambridge that stands out as a big landmark is just a 2 floor building in game) and bridges are missing, especially train bridges. However all the sat data is all there and Blackshark AI does an amazing job to make it 3D.

I tried with Turbo enabled this time. The game is definitely CPU bottlenecked. I get smooth 30 fps with turbo but bigger dips and longer stutters, cpu throttling since it gets too hot. GPU is still underutilized.

No fault of the game, just a normal 'problem' with gaming laptops. Fans on max, vents clear, slightly elevated for better air flow, metal table for better heat dispersion, that's about all I can do.

This was with CPU boost disabled, same area

Lower average frame rate but less severe dips and shorter stutters.

I don't know what taxes the CPU the most, all those lovely trees and houses probably. I could lower the draw distance or turn detail down, but I'm fine with sub 30 fps for flight sims. The eye candy is worth it. I'll turn the boost back off for a more even experience and not cooking the cpu lol.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 19 August 2020

SvennoJ said:

I climbed above the clouds once while looking for the Nordschleife, since it was overcast and dripping.

Get yourself inside a storm. That's where the real beauty is at.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
SvennoJ said:

Get yourself inside a storm. That's where the real beauty is at.

I'm flying with live weather and the weather is all clear here! I'm planning to do a round the world trip long term, so will encounter bad weather sooner or later. Something to look forward too. I'm still too busy buzzing the ground for now :) It takes some skill to land on hilly rivers lol. Are the oceans flat or do they have actual waves? I think I saw waves in one of the videos. (The rivers don't have waves just incorrect height data turning them into hilly terrain)

I went to look for the Monaco grand-prix circuit. Unfortunately there are random buildings all over it, big mess from up close. Yet from a bit further away, Monaco is beautiful.

Departure from Nice early morning

Descending to Monaco

This was an earlier attempt to follow / land on the race track, about as close as you want to get

That building with the blue roof is actually a pool.

Google earth 3D rendition

Google is definitely ahead in this area although everything looks a bit melted