By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will PS5 and Series X have a bigger opening than Switch?

Wich will have the biggest launch window (2 months)?

Switch (March-May 2017) 12 21.82%

Xbox Series (November-Dec... 2 3.64%

Playstation 5 (No release date yet, 2020) 41 74.55%

Total:55

The real challenge would be to sell more copies of a launch game than hardware sold similar to BOTW opening launch. For a short period, BOTW on Switch outsold the Switch.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

This is a minefield called 'Corona and the Economy' that is in play, which itself feeds into such thing as 'games' and 'cost'. The fact that a lot of games are also releasing for Ps4 (hello Valhalla) could further factor.

Plenty has also changed in the gaming world since.

I'm not holding my breath on it. Then again as a Nintendo fan I do want all games not on the Switch to flop and crash so..

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

I would be really worried about the future of both consoles if they don’t

Holy shit people underestimating the launch of those consoles... Yes they will.
Switch did 2.74 million shipped in March, let's say it was 3.5-4 million at the end of April.

XSX should be close to that, a bit higher i'd say. PS5 will absolutely crush it. You can see my predictions in my bio.

DonFerrari said:
Imaginedvl said:

Yes :) That's my hope! But until I see it, I will be cautious about that and assume it will be 599$ or + (and I know that I am in minority here, just trying to not set my expectations too high so it will be a nice surprise ).

Well it could happen, don't think so, and even PS3 at those obscene price 14 years ago managed to sell well on launch.

xMetroid said:
What's the point of this honestly ? Of course they will beat the Switch with Black Friday + Holiday seasons in the first 2 months vs Switch having a slow period.
We still don't have the lineup for both and the price.

The point is that on the thread about if PS5 or Series X would win launch window between them a lot of people wanted to discuss that Switch would outsell both with its sales this holiday (which was off-topic, but they complained that Switch should be included on discussion no matter what), so I created this thread. And even so if you look at answers and pool quite some people think Switch launch was stronger than PS5 and Series X will manage to do.

That's delusional people thinking the Switch launch was massive which wasn't. It started slow in the first year tbh mainly because of stock issues. It was a good launch for a March release but not close to what a console would normally do in a Fall release. 

Around the Network

also Don Switch should be March-April, not March-May that's 3 months.

xMetroid said:
DonFerrari said:

Well it could happen, don't think so, and even PS3 at those obscene price 14 years ago managed to sell well on launch.

The point is that on the thread about if PS5 or Series X would win launch window between them a lot of people wanted to discuss that Switch would outsell both with its sales this holiday (which was off-topic, but they complained that Switch should be included on discussion no matter what), so I created this thread. And even so if you look at answers and pool quite some people think Switch launch was stronger than PS5 and Series X will manage to do.

That's delusional people thinking the Switch launch was massive which wasn't. It started slow in the first year tbh mainly because of stock issues. It was a good launch for a March release but not close to what a console would normally do in a Fall release. 

Not that, they wanted for some reason to compare PS5 and Series X/S to Switch 2020 Holiday for who knows why.

Ryng said:
also Don Switch should be March-April, not March-May that's 3 months.

It is march 3rd to may 5th, so it is 2 months.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Imaginedvl said:

I have a hard time believing they will achieve that honestly.
Both have a so so lunch line up and while they have clearly a big upgrade from the current generation, they are still that, an upgrade until new games are coming out (Halo, Flight Simulator for Microsoft) and (Horizon Dawn, GT for Sony) that will really use the machine's internals.

The Switch cames up with Zelda (and few others) which, by itself, sold the console :)

Would say:

Sony: 2.5M
Microsoft: 1.5M

I promise you people didn't buy a PS4 for Knack & Killzone :p

Spiderman has more pull than both of those titles combined even if its not a full sequel, add in all the backwards compatibility with improved performance, some cross gen games taking advantage of PS5 like Kena and big third party titles like AC and I'm sure the PS5 will outsell the PS4 on the basis of being a more useful device for Playstation gamers out the gate. Long term it will need those exclusives but PS4 was really lacking for its whole first 12months and still sold well 

Otter said:

I promise you people didn't buy a PS4 for Knack & Killzone :p

Then why did I buy this version?

Both will outsell Switch and probably sell all of their stock.

If it weren’t for Covid-19, I would have more questions about price and lineup, particularly for Xbox, but lots of people will be seeking at-home entertainment this year. In the non-covid world, a wild card for Xbox could be the performance for the last console and Microsoft’s apparent strategy of retreating / hedging on PC.