By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will PS5 and Series X have a bigger opening than Switch?

Wich will have the biggest launch window (2 months)?

Switch (March-May 2017) 12 21.82%

Xbox Series (November-Dec... 2 3.64%

Playstation 5 (No release date yet, 2020) 41 74.55%

Total:55
Intrinsic said:
I find all this talk about supply constraints silly.

That's like making an argument saying "if only console XYZ was priced at $150 it would have sold x million more units".

At the end of the day, consoles ship what they ship and they will sell what they sell. Its why I always say that looking at launch windows isn't necessarily indicative of how a platform will perform. Just look at the current-gen. Under2 months after launch the PS4 had sold around 4.1M units and the XB1 had sold around 3.9M. Would anyone have thought then that 7 years later the PS4 would have an almost 3:1 lead over the XB1?

Or look at the PS5. At a $399 - $499 price point, there are at least 10M people around the world that will be ready/willing to pick one up if sony can ship 10M units on launch day. Doesn't mean that after those initial sales it would also end up selling 120M after 7 years.

You have to focus, Xbox done bad because of the pre launch PR, even if they corrected everything but Kinect and princing (well and in here Xbox fans were very defensive of Kinect, even more since it brought a lot of sales to X360 late life) which took them like 6 months to correct. So in the first 2 months it sell almost equal to PS4, in the final 78 months it was always cheaper than PS4, but the problem was those 4 months in between where it was more expensive.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

You have to focus, Xbox done bad because of the pre launch PR, even if they corrected everything but Kinect and princing (well and in here Xbox fans were very defensive of Kinect, even more since it brought a lot of sales to X360 late life) which took them like 6 months to correct. So in the first 2 months it sell almost equal to PS4, in the final 78 months it was always cheaper than PS4, but the problem was those 4 months in between where it was more expensive.

Oh I agree. But what you have just described is a totally different thing.

With the XB1, everything leading up to its launch, and then its price all conspired against it. So even though the Xbox diehards would still be enough to carry it through the launch months, 3+ months after that things would start leveling off, or better put after it has sold through to its most loyal base, you start seeing the sales it would have based on the actual merits of the system.

If MS had 3M XB1 consoles available on launch day, they would have sold all 3M of them.

And thats the point I am making, sales during the launch window aren't indicative of overall sales performance. The people that buy-in at launch or at least an overwhelming number of them are the ones that would've bought in no matter what. And every platform has a different number of those people. Eg. I believe that if sony has 10M consoles at launch, they will be able to sell 10M consoles in the first week on the market. As long as its not priced at $599. MS would probably be able t achieve the same feat with around 5M consoles.

i firmly believe that every new generation will continue to break launch records for the foreseeable future, as gaming sales in general continue to become more front-loaded (thanks mainly to internet culture). so yes, for me it is a no brainer that these two will have the best launch periods of all time, especially considering they are more hardcore oriented than the switch was/is.

I think it's pretty obvious both will outsell Switch's first few months. The system launched in March with limited stock (Nintendo wasn't sure it was going to take off). Sony and Microsoft are release in prime selling season. Of the two, Playstation will likely do better since they're more excitement for it.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Dulfite said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Didn't realised we still used HD twins since Nintendo is HD as has been for 8 years aha.

PS4 Was supply constrained for up to a year, when I bought one in July the year after launch there was only 1 type of edition available. So chances are at least the PS5 will be constrained too.

But if not, why should Sony be punished in the sales comparison for being better prepared?

Fine, what should we call them then? 4k twins? Then next gen 8k? Or HDR twins? Lol

We can call then next generation consoles. They've got everything people are talking about next gen technology: SSD, ray tracing, big home box, PC-like technology, etc.

Switch is technologically a tablet. Very successful, very nice, very good, run games, very very whatever, but still a piece of tablet device, not a real traditional current/next generation of home video game console inside the box.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?