By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - NASA will revise the name of celestial bodies

Do you support changing the names that can be considered racist?

Yes 7 21.88%

No 25 78.13%

Total:32

Yes i do generally any decent rolmaat displays mm cm dm and meters on the rol
As does any kitchenappliance have a display for ml cl dl and l...
Shoddy argumentation really

Proof https://images.app.goo.gl/kX3cijBE5Q5CmfJE7

https://www.bol.com/nl/p/terraillon-tradition-500-retro-keukenweegschaal-zwart/9300000000513552/?Referrer=ADVNLGOO002032-G-82285768530-S-294357559827-9300000000513552&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4JnFyLqK6wIVVIXVCh211Aj_EAQYFCABEgLLQfD_BwE

https://www.hema.nl/koken-tafelen/bakken/bakspullen/maatbeker---14-cm---kunststof---transparant-80810031.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwebG87qK6wIVDflRCh3xXwjREAQYAiABEgIVJfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by kirby007 - on 07 August 2020

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
Nighthawk117 said:
kirby007 said:

when are black holes being renamed?

Start calling them gravity holes.

Joe holes.

Duh.

If you don't vote for that name then the hole ain't black.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Really?

If a certain group fights for this kind of thing it is mostly not the racial minorities in my experience of the people i see talking about it on social media.

I do not think it is that nice to have a certain group of people controlling the interest of what minorities should care about and when that certain group of people stand outside that border of minorities they talk about it is even more worrisome.

That's what I'm saying.

We don't care about the names of nebulae, we care about being treated the same as everyone else. No one is out here protesting the names of celestial bodies, yet stupid people use moves like these to invalidate actual concerns.

Oh yeah,sorry for taking that out of context.

Ka-pi96 said:
NightlyPoe said:

A foot is a very useful measurement that has not been replaced at all.  It just doesn't exist in the metric system.  People use it in the United States all the time even though we also have the yard, which is generally equal to a meter.  Which tells me that, if the metric system had a unit similar to a foot, it would probably be popular as well.

If we take away the measurement of a foot, sure we could get by, but the reason why the foot was created and why it remains in use is completely because it's such a useful measurement of distance for when an inch is too small and a yard is too big.

The thing that you don't seem to understand is that the metric system units weren't created to be useful or by people looking to measure their world in a meaningful way.  The metric system units were created by the happenstance of a fraction.

Do you even know how many feet are in a mile? I sure don't, and I even grew up in a country that used feet/miles. I do know how many metres are in a kilometre though, since you'd have to be pretty thick not to.

Sure, 5,280 feet.

But you've reduced the question down to something that's largely irrelevant -> Conversion.  For some reason metric supporters (popularized by untold numbers of elementary and middle school teachers) think this is the one and only consideration for adopting a measuring system.  And while it can have its uses (mostly in the scientific areas where very big and very small units are required), generally it not really all that helpful.

A mile was created to measure fairly large distances.  Does it really matter if you know how many feet that is?  As long as you've got a good estimate in your head for what a mile means, who cares what number of feet it takes to get there?  Conversion is a largely irrelevant consideration.

You aren't "stuck" between mililitres and litres. You can use centilitres too.

Do you generally use centiliters?  If not, obviously, your culture obviously finds it irrelevant.  Which makes me curious what it would even be brought up.  I mean, I wouldn't bring up a furlong for measuring distance.  What would be the point?  It's not used enough to be relevant to the conversation.

Why would ml even be a problem though? "you need 500 ml of water" You(apparently): "500? No! That's too much!!!!!". Regular person: "Ok".

Me?  I'm not the person who came up with the need for teaspoons, tablespoons, cups, pints, quarts, and gallons.  So some, presumably regular, persons must have have decided that measuring 100 teaspoons* actually was too much and invented the pint to make life easier, or however the process must have gone.

Someone thought it was important enough to separate each of those units and and those units became and continue to be popular enough that they remain in common use even in the modern age.  So, the question becomes, "Why?"  And the answer is that is was useful.  A single cup meant something, as did a pint and a gallon.  And its use has continued consistently into the present, which means that those units of measurement remain useful.

Because of the rigidness of the metric system, none of the units between milliliter and liter fall into a category that people use.  So you're stuck with only the two.  Can you get along with only two?  Sure.

Does qualifying as good enough make it superior or even equal?  Heck no.

*Quick edit to short-circuit a gotcha response.  I know that a pint isn't exactly 100 teaspoons.

How many countries use feet? Like, 1 and a half? It used to be a whole lot more. So it absolutely has been replaced in most of the world!

Feet were invented because people were dumb as fuck back in the day. They pulled arbitrary measurements with no relation to anything out of their ass. That's all there is to it.

The thing you don't seem to understand is that imperial measurements are completely made up bullshit with no relation to anything. Metric measurements at least relate to each other, which is much more than can be said for imperial.

It isn't conversion. It's being able to easily use large numbers without being confused as fuck. It's being able to know the distance from your house to the local shop and from your house to the other side of the country and being able to compare them rather than looking at them and having no idea how they relate to each other. We're not talking about converting dollars to euros here, we're talking about using thousands, millions etc rather than a completely different currency for larger numbers.

ugh, yeah. Centilitres are largely irrelevant. Because most people don't freak out if they see "500ml", so why do you? Why does it always have to be a low number? I have seen cl used, only ever in relation to alcohol though.

Those units aren't in common use though. 1.5 countries aren't common use. They're minority use.

Does stubbornness and "tradtition" make it superior or even equal? Fuck no!

Edit: Also, why is an American arguing with a Brit and claiming British imperial measurements are better? There's some messed up kind of irony about that

The place I have seem cL used was on some american labels for liquids if i'm not wrong.

It would be funny seeing charts of the relation between international standard of measurement for all relevant greatness and imperial.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

mZuzek said:
The thing I find most amusing is how he goes on and on about the "usefulness" of the imperial system, with measures such as foot being something you can use "naturally", but then the moment someone mentions that's not an accurate measure, he says it's been standardized. So, what's the point, then? If it was standardized to a specific number you can't use without a ruler, how is it any more useful? Just because it has a relatable name? Also, speaking of rulers, how exactly would a 1 foot ruler be more useful than a 30cm one? With a 30cm ruler, you can measure things up to 30cm, as well as anything smaller than that. No one finds it complicated to use because the maximum measure is 30 rather than 1.

Yep, And I just said one of the very common ruler is a 30 cm one for daily use on small sizes. But also there is the 50cm let`s say for drawing, and then we have the "measurement tape" that go usually 1m, 1.5m and 2m for tailoring. Also there is the 3-15m for construction, etc.

And funnily enough he recognizes it is odd to make 1/16 or 1/32 measurement for tooling, fixtures, screw, etc but he is used enough so it isn`t a problem, but 200mL is such a hassle.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep, And I just said one of the very common ruler is a 30 cm one for daily use on small sizes. But also there is the 50cm let`s say for drawing, and then we have the "measurement tape" that go usually 1m, 1.5m and 2m for tailoring. Also there is the 3-15m for construction, etc.

Not exactly what the point of talking about the various measuring tapes is other than perhaps trying to walk back that the ruler is based on a unit that metric doesn't have.

And funnily enough he recognizes it is odd to make 1/16 or 1/32 measurement for tooling, fixtures, screw, etc but he is used enough so it isn`t a problem, but 200mL is such a hassle.

Again with the putting words in my mouth.

You really didn`t understood I guess. We don`t measure something in "rulers", it have 30cm or 300mm if you prefer and we use to measure things smaller than it. So if you wanted to compare you would need to compare to inches not feet.

And don`t worry nobody outside of US or perhaps England really gets confused using mm for very small, cm for small, m for regular size and then km for distance. Also no one gets odd when geometry classes you have square cm, houses square meters, and large areas square km or the other used for land like hectare. You are trying to find flaws where there isn`t while covering for glaring flaws for whatever reason.

But please tell me the extra usefulness of saying something is 2 feet instead of 60cm.

Or worse yet when you need to use multiple units or fractions... that guy is 5ft10in.2in instead of something like 1.75m or 175cm. how practical is that?

And you know why you have so many different bogus measurement on what you said so many spoon is one cup and some many cups is 1 pint, or how many pints make a gallon etc? Because you really need to calculate or user multiple different units. While anything on metric system you decide if you want to talk very small (mL or cc) or L, and there is continuity from less than 1mL to multiple billion Liters that you don`t need 1s to think on how they relate.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 08 August 2020

WHEW! I thought you said NASCAR for a moment!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

NightlyPoe said:
mZuzek said:

I think you need to read back through your comment and rethink about who screwed up.

It was definitely you that messed up.  Fahrenheit calibrated it so that body temperature was supposed to be 96 degrees.

Rectal or oral temperature?

mZuzek said:
NightlyPoe said:

And the worst of all is metric's ugly cousin, Celsius.  It totally tossed the humanity out of the scale.  With Fahrenheit, the scale rationally places 100 degrees at an extreme of hot weather and 0 degrees at an extreme of cold weather.  Celsius tossed that out the window and asked water of all things what it felt about the weather.  Who cares whether an ice cube thinks it's balmy outside?

In doing so, the Celsius scale has much larger difference between each degree, again making it less useful.

"An extreme" of hot weather and "an extreme" of cold weather. Very precise, fascinating I'd say. i do hope you at least realize 100°F is supposed to be the human body's temperature, not just some random "extreme". That said, I've no idea what the 0 stands for, Fahrenheit being Fahrenheit I would assume it's just a random number.

Obviously humans are far more important than water, though. I mean, it's not like life on earth would exist without humans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit

The zero was defined as the freezing point of a solution of brine made from equal parts of ice, water and a salt (ammonium chloride). That is pretty random.

Anyways, the kicker is, that Fahrenheit was redefined. The two defining points are now the freezing temperature and the boiling temperature of water. At 32°F and 212°F respectively. The 32 is because that is the freezing point in classic Fahrenheit, the 212, because it is 180° away (so a half circle). But yeah, Fahrenheit is now defined by water just as Celsius.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I think the Imperial system is funnier, and am glad it still exists.

People measuring their weight in stones, their height in feet. It is like a caveman invented it =P
I like the nomenclature.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.