By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - NASA will revise the name of celestial bodies

Do you support changing the names that can be considered racist?

Yes 7 21.88%

No 25 78.13%

Total:32

Don't really see an issue with changing some nicknames of celestial bodies. "Because it's history" isn't a good enough reason to keep names like that in my mind. Don't really give a shit if that's what people called it before, the question is do we want to keep calling it that. If there was an "N-word nebula" I wouldn't keep it around just because history.

Around the Network

Ridiculousness condenses.

Hunting Season is done...

vivster said:

Only if you want to stick to completely arbitrary conventions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Fixed_Calendar

That is one arbitrary calendar as well, since every year there is over a full day missing.

All fixed formats and units are arbitrary, some are just more logical and useful as others. The current calendar does not fall into that category. And no that day isn't "missing" it's being appended at the end of the year as a holiday.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Torillian said:
Don't really see an issue with changing some nicknames of celestial bodies. "Because it's history" isn't a good enough reason to keep names like that in my mind. Don't really give a shit if that's what people called it before, the question is do we want to keep calling it that. If there was an "N-word nebula" I wouldn't keep it around just because history.

That is indeed an empty reasoning but no one brought that up in this thread.

Immersiveunreality said:
Torillian said:

That is indeed an empty reasoning but no one brought that up in this thread.

I guess you're right, looking through I don't even see that much of a cohesive argument for why they should keep the nicknames they have. I guess your argument is that this emboldens idiots? Other arguments are "this is dumb" which I assumed to mean that they thought the names should be kept to preserve history but maybe you're right and they haven't even thought about it that hard. 

I'll remember in the future to not give people undue credit for their arguments when they haven't presented any yet. 

Around the Network

Racial Minorities: Hi we want to be treated equally, that's about it.

NASA: Changes the names of celestial bodies

Everyone: OMG Y R SNOWFLAKES OFFENDED BY EVERYTHING

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Ka-pi96 said:
DonFerrari said:

Impossible since 365 isn't divisible by 12, unless you want 5 months in the year.

Firstly, there aren't even 365 days in a year.

Secondly, 364 is divisible by 13 which would produce 28 day months. There would be an extra day, yes. But there's an extra day every 4 years with the current calendar anyway so if that one's accepted why can't another one be accepted? Plus, then it would be very similar to the lunar calendar (ie. the amount of time it takes for the moon to move around the earth). Not exact, but close.

Surely a calendar that isn't perfect but almost makes sense is better than one that isn't perfect and is completely fucked up and makes no sense at all, right?

I know, there is a little over 365 days.

There would be always an extra day plus the 1/4 of day from the current calendar.

So as I said the only way for us to have same number of days every year (sure excluded the once in every 4 year) would be 5 months.

Having 13 months with either all 28 day, or one with 29 days, or an extra week every 7 years or whatever wouldn`t make anyway better, more sense or practical. It basically doesn`t make much of a difference. At most you would have simpler calculation in programs but also would need to update all of them.

vivster said:

That is one arbitrary calendar as well, since every year there is over a full day missing.

All fixed formats and units are arbitrary, some are just more logical and useful as others. The current calendar does not fall into that category. And no that day isn't "missing" it's being appended at the end of the year as a holiday.

them you either would have a month with 29 days or a day out of a month or a 14th month with 1 day... my reply was specific to all months having the same number of days.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

ArchangelMadzz said:

when are black holes being renamed?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

ArchangelMadzz said:

Really?

If a certain group fights for this kind of thing it is mostly not the racial minorities in my experience of the people i see talking about it on social media.

I do not think it is that nice to have a certain group of people controlling the interest of what minorities should care about and when that certain group of people stand outside that border of minorities they talk about it is even more worrisome.

kirby007 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

when are black holes being renamed?

Start calling them gravity holes.