By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - NASA will revise the name of celestial bodies

Do you support changing the names that can be considered racist?

Yes 7 21.88%

No 25 78.13%

Total:32
Nighthawk117 said:
kirby007 said:

when are black holes being renamed?

Start calling them gravity holes.

good but how should we repent for all previous years? how about we call em white holes or would that mean it would glorify white people instead

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
Nighthawk117 said:

Start calling them gravity holes.

good but how should we repent for all previous years? how about we call em white holes or would that mean it would glorify white people instead

Can't fix one injustice with another.  Could always pay reparations to all those offended/affected when we called them "black holes."

Nighthawk117 said:
kirby007 said:

Can't fix one injustice with another.  Could always pay reparations to all those offended/affected when we called them "black holes."

maybe we should name something after them?

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
Nighthawk117 said:

maybe we should name something after them?

Cosmic sufferers?

Immersiveunreality said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
Racial Minorities: Hi we want to be treated equally, that's about it.

NASA: Changes the names of celestial bodies

Everyone: OMG Y R SNOWFLAKES OFFENDED BY EVERYTHING

Really?

If a certain group fights for this kind of thing it is mostly not the racial minorities in my experience of the people i see talking about it on social media.

I do not think it is that nice to have a certain group of people controlling the interest of what minorities should care about and when that certain group of people stand outside that border of minorities they talk about it is even more worrisome.

That's what I'm saying.

We don't care about the names of nebulae, we care about being treated the same as everyone else. No one is out here protesting the names of celestial bodies, yet stupid people use moves like these to invalidate actual concerns.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

Reading this thread is like watching someone complain that his racist uncle won’t drop the N-bomb on his neighbour anymore.

NASA made the right call.

are you ignoring Centi and Deciliters/meters on purpose?

edit: removed flame

Honestky, I’ve never heard of these before. I wouldn’t say it’s relevant.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

NightlyPoe said:
DonFerrari said:

Sorry but inches and foots aren't really more useful than metric (that also is easily to understand and math over). Each person foot and inch is different so it isn't really something that you just make easier use, and people that use metric system have a good idea of some commonly used measurements.

The metric system doesn't even have something comparable to a foot.  That's what I mean by it not being as useful.  The base 10 system is too rigid and jumps over useful potentially measurements such as a foot.

Volume has similar issues as metric skips over all the useful gradations needed for cooking and you're basically stuck between the very small milliliters for anything that can't be measured in liters (which is also pretty small).

And the worst of all is metric's ugly cousin, Celsius.  It totally tossed the humanity out of the scale.  With Fahrenheit, the scale rationally places 100 degrees at an extreme of hot weather and 0 degrees at an extreme of cold weather.  Celsius tossed that out the window and asked water of all things what it felt about the weather.  Who cares whether an ice cube thinks it's balmy outside?

In doing so, the Celsius scale has much larger difference between each degree, again making it less useful.

30cm is very comparable to a foot and is the regular size of a ruler in Brazil. Each person foot or inch being different doesn't really make a foot a useful measurement at all. And knowing 12 inches make a foot, and 3 foots make a yard isn't more useful than base 10 obvious conversion. Also to note the obnoxous 1/16, 3/32 etc measurement for tools.

What really is the problem in using 1, 10, 100 mL or 1L for cooking, do you really think "1 cup" is a better measurement? In Brazil we use this culinary obnoxous measurement like 1 coffee spoon, 1 soup spoon, etc. But ok I know that 1 cubic meter is 1000L, but how many cubic inches is a gallon?

Do you know that Celsius came before of Fahrenheit right? And also that it have two very usual important points for humans, 0 for ice and 100 for vapor. And any person that lives in a country that uses Celsius also know what temperature is hot or cold.

Also you know that the official scale is in Kelvin right? And you know which temperature easily converts to Kelvin? Celsius, 273.15 difference.

NightlyPoe said:
kirby007 said:

are you ignoring Centi and Deciliters/meters on purpose?

edit: removed flame

Do you regularly use decimeters or deciliters?  That's why I skipped over them.  A centimeter is useful enough for a small measurement and I would have said enough if I'd touched on them.  A decimeter is more or less useless though, since it does not result in a big enough difference, which is why centimeters are generally used all the way up to meter.

Ka-pi96 said:

Seems like a joke post.

How exactly are feet are useful measurement? They're not. They're of no more use than metres. They're easily replaceable, as they have been in many countries already.

A foot is a very useful measurement that has not been replaced at all.  It just doesn't exist in the metric system.  People use it in the United States all the time even though we also have the yard, which is generally equal to a meter.  Which tells me that, if the metric system had a unit similar to a foot, it would probably be popular as well.
Metric system is quite popular you know.
If we take away the measurement of a foot, sure we could get by, but the reason why the foot was created and why it remains in use is completely because it's such a useful measurement of distance for when an inch is too small and a yard is too big.
Which measurement of DISTANCE is to small to be measure in meters? I guess you wanted to say length or something else.
The thing that you don't seem to understand is that the metric system units weren't created to be useful or by people looking to measure their world in a meaningful way.  The metric system units were created by the happenstance of a fraction.

Metric system was created to be pratical, easy to convert and make maths instead of following whatever the ruler of the moment wanted to be the inch or foot measurement.

Do you even know how many feet are in a mile? I sure don't, and I even grew up in a country that used feet/miles. I do know how many metres are in a kilometre though, since you'd have to be pretty thick not to.

Sure, 5,280 feet.

But you've reduced the question down to something that's largely irrelevant -> Conversion.  For some reason metric supporters (popularized by untold numbers of elementary and middle school teachers) think this is the one and only consideration for adopting a measuring system.  And while it can have its uses (mostly in the scientific areas where very big and very small units are required), generally it not really all that helpful.

A mile was created to measure fairly large distances.  Does it really matter if you know how many feet that is?  As long as you've got a good estimate in your head for what a mile means, who cares what number of feet it takes to get there?  Conversion is a largely irrelevant consideration.

You made a lot of ruckus for defending the feet as being relevant, while ignoring that the measure in cm for it exist anyway (and tell me how many american have their feet matching the standard size?), it is quite easier to have a notion of what is 1km since we all know the 1m.

You aren't "stuck" between mililitres and litres. You can use centilitres too.

Do you generally use centiliters?  If not, obviously, your culture obviously finds it irrelevant.  Which makes me curious what it would even be brought up.  I mean, I wouldn't bring up a furlong for measuring distance.  What would be the point?  It's not used enough to be relevant to the conversation.

Why would ml even be a problem though? "you need 500 ml of water" You(apparently): "500? No! That's too much!!!!!". Regular person: "Ok".

Me?  I'm not the person who came up with the need for teaspoons, tablespoons, cups, pints, quarts, and gallons.  So some, presumably regular, persons must have have decided that measuring 100 teaspoons actually was too much and invented the pint to make life easier, or however the process must have gone.

Someone thought it was important enough to separate each of those units and and those units became and continue to be popular enough that they remain in common use even in the modern age.  So, the question becomes, "Why?"  And the answer is that is was useful.  A single cup meant something, as did a pint and a gallon.  And its use has continued consistently into the present, which means that those units of measurement remain useful.

Because of the rigidness of the metric system, none of the units between milliliter and liter fall into a category that people use.  So you're stuck with only the two.  Can you get along with only two?  Sure.

Does qualifying as good enough make it superior or even equal?  Heck no.

Do you have any difficult in using something if it is over 10 in count? Because you can easily measure from 1ml to 1000ml with easyness.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

mZuzek said:
NightlyPoe said:

And the worst of all is metric's ugly cousin, Celsius.  It totally tossed the humanity out of the scale.  With Fahrenheit, the scale rationally places 100 degrees at an extreme of hot weather and 0 degrees at an extreme of cold weather.  Celsius tossed that out the window and asked water of all things what it felt about the weather.  Who cares whether an ice cube thinks it's balmy outside?

In doing so, the Celsius scale has much larger difference between each degree, again making it less useful.

"An extreme" of hot weather and "an extreme" of cold weather. Very precise, fascinating I'd say. i do hope you at least realize 100°F is supposed to be the human body's temperature, not just some random "extreme". That said, I've no idea what the 0 stands for, Fahrenheit being Fahrenheit I would assume it's just a random number.

Obviously humans are far more important than water, though. I mean, it's not like life on earth would exist without humans.

From what I know 0 was decided to be a temperature that whatever Lord Fahrenheit lived the temperature would never go negative. I guess they didn`t like it being show negative.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."