By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - NASA will revise the name of celestial bodies

Do you support changing the names that can be considered racist?

Yes 7 21.88%

No 25 78.13%

Total:32

Well, as to the topic of measurements (as if I would care): the marketplace of measurements moved away from imperial units that were once much more common towards the metric system. Seems the people decided that one system is more helpful than the other.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
Mnementh said:
Well, as to the topic of measurements (as if I would care): the marketplace of measurements moved away from imperial units that were once much more common towards the metric system. Seems the people decided that one system is more helpful than the other.

Not really.  At least with Imperial and its offshoots, it was less the marketplace and more the heavy handedness of government.  Without government mandates, a good chunk of the Commonwealth would probably have never switched over.

Really, it goes back to why this ties into the whole NASA and revising of names.  Our betters making decisions that are treated as a fait accompli and imposed was the genesis of the off-shoot.  The failure of metrification in the United States is one of the few examples where such a process was beaten back.

If you think governments have complete freedom to decide whatever, you are wrong. Governments - even dictatorships including monarchy - can't completely disregard the feelings of the population. If they make too much decisions that anger the people, their heads end up on a chopping block, like in the french revolution. In democracy they aren't reelected. So if the government could impose the metric system it means one of two things: either people didn't care enough to complain or they agreed mostly with the decision.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

How much is your weight in stones and feet?!?!?!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

KLXVER said:
I dont see this as a problem. Ive never even heard of these weird names to begin with. Its not like they are trying to change history or anything.

It will happen eventually. History is pretty racist, biggoted and thansphobe, better change it.

As for changing the nicknames, nobody cares, it's just a way to show the mob that "hey leave us alone we are doing something"

Did you ever use the term "Eskimo Galaxy" anyway? If no, then why do you care. It's like a dumb 3 year old throwing a hissy fit over getting a toy taken away that they never even opened out of the box anyway. Shut the fuck up. Times change and certain things that were once tolerated because different populations had little/no power and were OK on that basis change with the times.

Last edited by Soundwave - on 09 August 2020

Around the Network

The imperial system is incomplete. It lacks units for anything from the last two centuries, like anything electricity-related: Electric current, voltage, power, capacity, resistance...

Information in something as old and common as a light bulb is in metric units in the USA. Luminous flux is measured in lumens (metric), power is measured in watts (metric), voltage is measured in volts (metric). Even Correlated Color Temperature is measured in Kelvin (metric) instead of Fahrenheit.

I guess americans don't use them or any electric devices in their daily lives enough, otherwise they would've already come up with their own, better units.

Last edited by Player2 - on 10 August 2020

RolStoppable said:
mZuzek said:

They can't, actually. They didn't make the imperial system or any of its units, just adopted them. All the creativity came from Britain and they've half migrated to the metric side too.

Even the UK recognized that worldwide trade brings high costs with it if you insist on using a different system to everyone else. There may have been initial costs to make the change to the metric system, but in the long run it paid off for the UK. This is something that the USA doesn't realize, just like with other things they have refused to adopt. Healthcare is one of those sectors where Americans pay significantly more than Europeans and even get less in return.

Americans have the habit of dreaming up boogeymen, hence why they resist common sense. That's a big part in how you get a Trump as president.

And the almost yearly attack by one of the dinosaur politicians on the gaming industry,if it involves working conditions they do not care but whenever someone shoots up a shool they will find a way to protect the capitalistic inhumane weapon industry by redirecting the problem to entertainment.

Many people live in bubbles and isolate themselves in groups that think the same as them,when you become lets say vegan you belong the the vegan community and some act unhealthy religious about what they believe in and for those people it is easier to be ignorant whenever something is not benefiting their own goals and that again results in extremism.

You see it in the way people are labelling like they ask for acceptance while they just give out private information that should not be so important or stereotyping themselves. 

And these days you got garbage like twitter that is used as a manipulated platform for lazy self obsession and dogpiling.

NightlyPoe said:
Ka-pi96 said:

You've completely ignored the existence of bigger/smaller units when they've been brought up

False.  I've not ignored their existence at all.  Merely said an intermediate between can be helpful.

and you haven't in any way successfully explained why having more units would be more useful in the first place.

Also false.  I've explained that, when presented with the option, the intermediate choice is often chosen in everyday life.  And I've pointed out that the metric system also acknowledges the value of multiple units by providing the base 10 system in the first place instead of using only a single unit.

In fact it's less useful since if you need to reduce the amount it's much easier to do with the metric system since saying 75 grams is more useful than saying 3/4 of an ounce.

Huh?  You're saying that having more units is less useful because there's not a commonly used measurement of mass below ounce?  That's an argument for more units, not less.

And I would reply by pointing out that one very rarely needs to measure something less than an ounce when going about their lives.  And needs to describe it with accuracy beyond easily described fractions even less.  Hence the smaller unit that exists (dram) is almost unheard of.  Hardly anyone had need of it or even possessed a scale capable of describing it outside of perhaps a science lab and a few other professions.

But, in professions that did require such precision, units to describe the smaller amounts were used successfully for centuries.

Look, if you personally prefer the imperial system then that's your prerogative. But trying to present it as superior is complete twaddle. The metric system is both easier to use and to learn, there's no room to make an argument that it's objectively inferior.

And we're back down to ease of conversion again.  No, that does not make it objectively better.  It is a very subjective value that ease of conversion automatically makes for a better system.

There are multiple sub and inter units in decimal system.

Let's ignore the sub milimiter one, but you have mm, cm, decimeter and then meter, for after you have decameter, hectometer and kilometer. It exist and have existed for a long time, people don't use decimeter, decameter and hectometer simply because they don't need then, there isn't really any gain saying 3 decimeters instead of 30 cm. As much as there isn't any real value in saying 1 foot instead of 12 inches. It is just that you are used to it. But again having it all in the same 10 by 10 is what makes decimal much more practical despise all your denying.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

NightlyPoe said:
RolStoppable said:

It's still you.

Okay.  If you think misrepresenting people's opinions and trying to make them feel bad about themselves is more productive than simply stating an opinion and defending it, then you're free to buzz off.

I'll forever continue to be problematic by being consistent and not believe the stuff you want me to in order to make your counter-argument (which has consisted almost entirely of criticizing me) easy.

If you said you prefer Imperial because it have units you find useful no one would have replied to you. We replied because you claimed it is superior, objective not opinion.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

NightlyPoe said:
DonFerrari said:

There are multiple sub and inter units in decimal system.

Let's ignore the sub milimiter one, but you have mm, cm, decimeter and then meter, for after you have decameter, hectometer and kilometer. It exist and have existed for a long time, people don't use decimeter, decameter and hectometer simply because they don't need then, there isn't really any gain saying 3 decimeters instead of 30 cm. As much as there isn't any real value in saying 1 foot instead of 12 inches. It is just that you are used to it. But again having it all in the same 10 by 10 is what makes decimal much more practical despise all your denying.

Thank you for the 2nd grade lesson.

But the reason why those units aren't used is because people have found no need for them.  Whereas, people do use a foot where it's available, so obviously there is some value beyond counting in inches.

But again having it all in the same 10 by 10 is what makes decimal much more practical despise all your denying.

Back to ease of conversion being the end of the argument.

Again.

DonFerrari said:

If you said you prefer Imperial because it have units you find useful no one would have replied to you. We replied because you claimed it is superior, objective not opinion.

Exactly where did I say my opinion was objective?  I'll save you the time, I didn't.  Like most replies on this thread, you're literally making up my position.

The only person to state that their opinion was a fact was Ka-pi96.

RolStoppable said:

Americans have the habit of dreaming up boogeymen, hence why they resist common sense. 

And now we've graduated to straight-up racism.  I'll add that to your support of terrorism.

So please explain to me as if i was a 2nd grader why the over 200 countries that use metric people don't have a need to use decimeter or decameter or hectare that do exist even though you talk about this rigidity of the metric system, and then foot that is similar to decimeter on greatness order is so useful that makes the whole imperial system better and more practical.

You said explicitily that the system is more practical and better, you didn't say you prefer, so yes that is putting it objectively instead of preference. Because if it was about preference no one would be discussing with you.

What racism is on saying American are resistent and do make boogeymen?