By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Should schools reopen?

Should schools reopen?

Yes 9 13.04%

Yes but blended model 12 17.39%

No 48 69.57%

Total:69
NightlyPoe said:
gergroy said:

Dude, really?  Look at your posts again.  You are clearly an intelligent person, but you were not so careful as you think you were.  Look at how you phrased things throughout the thread.  Your careful words are the very young, what does that mean?  Very young can describe lots of ages.

There's really nothing to say at this point.  You're intent on trying to tell me what I meant, which I've got better things to do than argue about since I've got supreme authority on that particular subject.

Enjoy it while it lasts. Detention today is just one digit away, Winston.

Around the Network

Reopen with prudence and blended model.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Stunning to see americans really are't afraid of Covid

It's a quite unique phenomenon

With over 2 million active cases you still want to reopen schools? You are setting your own country to have close to 10 million cumulative cases before the end of the year. Somehow people there aren't scared of the reality.

Education is critically important, so we should get government totally out of it. Then, individual schools, students, and parents can make the decisions that are right for them.

With that said, and since we do have government involved, I think schools should be open and parents and students should decide if they want to go the normal way, or a hybrid system.

What's wrong with online remote learning anyway if it is set up well? Adapt

Remote places in Australia have been doing it for generations (School of the Air), with educational outcomes as good or better than in-class lessons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_of_the_Air

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Stunning to see americans really are't afraid of Covid

It's a quite unique phenomenon

With over 2,3 million active cases you still want to reopen schools? You are setting your own country to have close to 10 million cumulative cases before the end of the year. Somehow people there aren't scared of the reality.

Yep, over 2,3m active known cases.

Alot of american's dont have fear at all of it.
They think wearing a mask if worse, than the risk of getting covid/useing masks to reduce spread.

They still say that "99% of people are fine".

Reality is:
54% of all covid patients have lasting lunge damage.
76% of all covid patients have lasting heart damage (germany study resently published claims this)
(theres brain damage, testicle damage, kidney damage.. ect. Even if you get "well" again, you could have issues a few years down the road)

1% of that die (those that arn't "fine" but dead), out of 330 million people, is alot of dead people.

"almost a third of those in the test group (of 100) have scar tissue on their heart. Wich you don't want because thickening of the aorta can lead to
cardiac arrhythmia and decreased pump functioning of your heart for example."

*source : https://www.boston.com/news/health/2020/07/27/coronavirus-heart/amp

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 29 July 2020

VAMatt said:
Education is critically important, so we should get government totally out of it. Then, individual schools, students, and parents can make the decisions that are right for them.

With that said, and since we do have government involved, I think schools should be open and parents and students should decide if they want to go the normal way, or a hybrid system.

The problem of "let everyone decide by themselves" mindset is that you ignore (or just don't care) how much your decisions impact community. It's a straight-up derivative liberal philosophy that emerged with Adam Smith's (pretty outdated  even in economics) idea of "what is better for the individual, is better for the group" 

When half of population practices social distance and half don't, the half that practices are hurted by the ones who choose not. We will stay in our homes for longer, the disease will spread faster, meaning more costs, more deaths, until health system is saturated enough to make government starts another lockdown

As much China has a severe restriction of their citizens lives, we can see how a deep and mandatory lockdown extinguished the virus in a country of more than 1 billion inhabitants in less than 2 months

Sure we may not be as radical as China, but I'm totally here for some restrictions of individual freedom for the society well being. I don't understand why Americans see the concept of "freedom" as the most absolute, indisputable and non-negotiable value of human dignity. Yes freedom over your own (and the people around you) security and health. Freedom over the possibility to escape this pandemic as soon as possible.

JRPGfan said:

Yep, over 2,3m active known cases.

Alot of american's dont have fear at all of it.
They think wearing a mask if worse, than the risk of getting covid/useing masks to reduce spread.

They still say that "99% of people are fine".

Reality is:
54% of all covid patients have lasting lunge damage.
76% of all covid patients have lasting heart damage (germany study resently published claims this)
(theres brain damage, testicle damage, kidney damage.. ect. Even if you get "well" again, you could have issues a few years down the road)

1% of that die (those that arn't "fine" but dead), out of 330 million people, is alot of dead people.

This is a very positivist reasoning. If you confront these people and ask "are you willing to kill 0,5% of random people in your country and cause a damage in the respiratory system of other 5% if everyone have the opportunity to stay doing their business as usual?" I'm sure most of people will say they aren't

There is, however, some kind of cognitive disconnection here that prevents people to understand their acting and decisions are leading to this scenario

S.Peelman said:

Got to say I’m with NightlyPoe on this one. Education over the internet is not effective, and children are damaged more by not going to school and having their much needed regularity than they are at risk from this virus. Also, there’s opening schools and “opening schools”. You don’t have to reopen schools and have it be the free-for-all madhouse it usually is. It is possible to regulate where which children are when, have teachers keep their distance and do a little crowd control if you are creative. That’s how they did it here anyway.

Its not effective because none of the schools were setup to use it at short notice.  I have been teaching online classes for over 6 years and the technology is way more advanced then current schools were using since it was basically zoom meet ups.  The thing is we have enough time to invest in those online tech to make remote classes almost as good as being in the classroom.  I will say with my years of experience that the gold standard will always be in classroom teaching but we do have the tech to make remote a very viable and solid solution definitely during this time.

As for this children are damaged by not going to school, I highly doubt not going to school for half a year or better is suddenly going to damage your child.  Kids are not porcelain dolls where they break so easily, if anything children learn to adapt far quicker and better than adults.  You really cannot regulate kids to wear a mask for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.  Even if you could if the virus is airborne then it really only takes one child saturating the air sitting in spot for a long period of time to infect everyone.  Those kids rotate from classroom to classroom and one child can effectively infect the majority of students.  Parents send their child to school all the time sick.  Some with mild symptoms some with more depending if they need to go to work. In poor neighborhoods it will be a blood bath as most of those schools are already pretty crowded in class size already.  

Rab said:

What's wrong with online remote learning anyway if it is set up well? Adapt

Remote places in Australia have been doing it for generations (School of the Air), with educational outcomes as good or better than in-class lessons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_of_the_Air

There is really nothing wrong with it.  The problem is that the US is so far behind the tech curve when it comes to schools that its not even funny.  I have taught online software development course for over 6 years and the tech now is so good you can pretty much simulated a live classroom.  The problem is that the US spends the majority of its budget on its military and basically nothing compared to other nations on their education system.  Hell, most teachers have to use their own money to purchase supplies for their classrooms for user outside tools for homework and other stuff because the schools are so underfunded.