By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Should schools reopen?

Should schools reopen?

Yes 9 13.04%

Yes but blended model 12 17.39%

No 48 69.57%

Total:69
mZuzek said:
NightlyPoe said:
JRPGfan said:

Yep... however you cant just ignore reality.

I'm not ignoring reality.  I'm dealing with the situation as it exists.  If kids were becoming sick or spreading the disease at a high rate, that would be one thing.  But the spread among young children is very low.  That's been the single lucky break we've gotten from this disease.

As it stands, the dangers of not educating a whole generation of children outweigh the benefits of keeping them home.  Those consequences are permanent as well and will become greater and greater as the time out of school extends outward.

I don't get this point. It's not like kids aren't ever going to school. If the entire education system is delayed by one year, children won't suddenly become dumb forever because they stayed home for a year and are going to finish school aged 18 instead of 17. Nothing changes, like, at all.

On that note, I have had students that have come from third world countries and have had no formal education their entire lives.  They are usually up to grade level within a couple of years.  It honestly isn’t super difficult for students to catch up as long as they are willing to work for it.  I will admit it does require some buy in from the student though.

Around the Network

Just improve the teaching over distance till vaccines are in mass production.

No. Schools should not reopen in the US this fall. Had everyone cooperated and practiced proper social distancing, stay at home, mask wearing from the get go maybe we would be in a position to reopen. I am enrolled in graduate school myself and all my courses have been moved online. Yes, it sucks but time does not wait for anybody. If we hunker down and halt the community spread until a vaccine is ready then society can open back up again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

For those arguing that we're going to make a whole generation of kids dumb by distance learning for a year is there any evidence that this is going to have that kind of permanent effect? Kids get homeschooled quite often, I was homeschooled for a year when I was about 11-12 and I don't think it affected much. Shit, I even correctly used effect and affect in this response. If that's not a testament to my education I don't know what is.

Basically, do we have any evidence that these kids are going to be educationally stunted for the remainder of their life from distance learning for a year? My wife is a kindergarten teacher and she's adamantly in the "online learning" camp. Thankfully we're in a district that agrees.

Absolutely not. If I was a teacher in USA, I would protest/boycott. It is either this:

1. Lockdown and save 100,000+ lives. Everyone loses a year of normal life.

or

2. Don't lockdown, people die. Everyone loses 2 years of normal life, some many more years due to underlying conditions from Covid.

Honestly, I am amazed Trump is still president he has 10,000+ American blood on his hands and people haven't removed/ attacked him.

Around the Network

Absolutely no.

Yes. Just put the teachers in full face visors for $100 per teacher.

Or sack them all and give the $12,000 education budget straight to the parents if the teachers can't teach.
https://www.governing.com/gov-data/education-data/state-education-spending-per-pupil-data.html

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:

Or sack them all and give the $12,000 education budget straight to the parents if the teachers can't teach.
https://www.governing.com/gov-data/education-data/state-education-spending-per-pupil-data.html

You do understand that with distance learning not only are the teachers still teaching... but they are doing a lot more work than normal too.  The only thing parents have to do is make their kids sit at the computer and do it...

Sure, send the students back to school... but let the teachers stay home.

No reason to send them to an obvious suicide mission.

gergroy said:
Pyro as Bill said:

You do understand that with distance learning not only are the teachers still teaching... but they are doing a lot more work than normal too.  The only thing parents have to do is make their kids sit at the computer and do it...

I only know about 'distance learning' in UK schools and it's been near non-existent.

If teachers are working harder than ever then I'm sure parents will continue to pay them the $12,000 tuition fees.

$60,000-$100,000 seems like a fair salary for distance teaching 5-7 kids.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!