By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Should schools reopen?

Should schools reopen?

Yes 9 13.04%

Yes but blended model 12 17.39%

No 48 69.57%

Total:69
NightlyPoe said:
Yes. The consequences of setting back an entire generation of children's education and stunting their social growth far outweigh the dangers of letting them return to school, particularly those in elementary school who are unlikely to become ill or pass along the disease.

I'm certain anyone in the health sector could tell you they could still be a significant vector of the disease, enough to hamper all the effort that has been done against it. The return of children to schools also inevitably means more movement of adults. 

Still, you bring a good point with the social development of children. Even then, we should at least give time until the end of the year to see how much things improve. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

Yes. My younger sister is still in school and all of her classes fell massively behind as a result of distance learning, they barely learned enough to get advanced to the next school year, but they got a free pass anyway because you can't really fail a whole class. Can't afford to let these kids fall any further behind, will put them at a big disadvantage when applying for colleges and such. Thankfully, schools in my area already announced that they're going with a hybrid model, 3 days a week at school, the other 2 from home.

No. Just hold virtual classrooms for the time being. Pretty simple. Idiotic to re-open.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

NightlyPoe said:
Yes. The consequences of setting back an entire generation of children's education and stunting their social growth far outweigh the dangers of letting them return to school, particularly those in elementary school who are unlikely to become ill or pass along the disease.

No.

shikamaru317 said:
Yes. My younger sister is still in school and all of her classes fell massively behind as a result of distance learning, they barely learned enough to get advanced to the next school year, but they got a free pass anyway because you can't really fail a whole class. Can't afford to let these kids fall any further behind, will put them at a big disadvantage when applying for colleges and such. Thankfully, schools in my area already announced that they're going with a hybrid model, 3 days a week at school, the other 2 from home.

yikes

Around the Network

I would like them to reopen. I miss my school, but alas.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Yes the schools need to re-open. Younger kids need that interaction and social learning.
I see what 5 months of staying home did to my kids. (8 and 10).

However class sizes need to be halved.
Classes isolated from each other.
UV-C air filters installed in the class rooms.
Better cleaning.
Heath checks.

Younger kids don't learn the most important skills at home, social interaction, working together. They can't stay home for another half year. But maybe just going in the mornings would be safer. Cut out the lunch breaks at school, and do the stuff you can do at home at home.

Less time together, less people together, air filtration, cleaning, hand hygiene, face masks, it all helps to limit the spread.

mZuzek said:
shikamaru317 said:

yikes

Not really. She attends school in a small city in a rural county, new cases are at a crawl here right now. I think they're taking the right precautions for re-opening, first day they even have a special class to hammer in the importance of wearing masks at all times while at school, and the importance of staying home and calling in sick if you exhibit any possible Covid symptoms. That plus the hybrid model should be good enough for my area. The decision to stay closed or re-open was actually voted on by the parents, and the vast majority voted to re-open, unsurprising as many are 2 income families and can neither afford for one parent to not work nor afford a babysitter. 

Obviously it should be up to each school district to decide, opening might not be the best decision in the larger cities or other areas that are still seeing big spike in new cases. But kids that do continue to distance learn are definitely going to have alot of catching up to do before SAT's and college applications and such. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 24 July 2020

NightlyPoe said:
Captain_Yuri said:
Nah, we have the technology to have people stay at home and learn that way until the vaccine gets released.

No technology exists that is remotely as effective as in-person instruction for teaching students and ensuring engagement.  And, until we start downloading skills straight into our brains Matrix-style, it's unlikely such a technology will ever be developed.

Metallox said:

I'm certain anyone in the health sector could tell you they could still be a significant vector of the disease, enough to hamper all the effort that has been done against it. The return of children to schools also inevitably means more movement of adults. 

Still, you bring a good point with the social development of children. Even then, we should at least give time until the end of the year to see how much things improve. 

Not really.  Young children haven't been found to make much of a difference in spreading the disease.  Middle and high schools might be a tougher call, but there's really no reason even hesitate for elementary schools.

The return of children to schools also inevitably means more movement of adults. 

This is true.  However, we can mitigate the spread among adults.  Particularly since the average class only has a single adult within it.  Instructing children certainly qualifies as an essential job if anything does.

Sure but I'd rather have them stay at home as this is going to be temporary and help them learn with the technologies we have right now than risk them getting infected by the virus get have it spread across the family. Aren't we currently looking at a September release for a vaccine? Heck even if it takes longer, I'd rather not risk it...

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Let them open....I don't give a shit. However, I don't mind them being closed - because I hate seeing shitty ass school buses on the road slowing me down!