By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Should schools reopen?

Should schools reopen?

Yes 9 13.04%

Yes but blended model 12 17.39%

No 48 69.57%

Total:69
Pyro as Bill said:
gergroy said:

You do understand that with distance learning not only are the teachers still teaching... but they are doing a lot more work than normal too.  The only thing parents have to do is make their kids sit at the computer and do it...

I only know about 'distance learning' in UK schools and it's been near non-existent.

If teachers are working harder than ever then I'm sure parents will continue to pay them the $12,000 tuition fees.

$60,000-$100,000 seems like a fair salary for distance teaching 5-7 kids.

Haha, so what should I be making if I am teaching 300 children?

Around the Network
gergroy said:
Pyro as Bill said:

I only know about 'distance learning' in UK schools and it's been near non-existent.

If teachers are working harder than ever then I'm sure parents will continue to pay them the $12,000 tuition fees.

$60,000-$100,000 seems like a fair salary for distance teaching 5-7 kids.

Depends on the budget in your state but given the $12k average and the average class size shouldn't be bigger than 10-15 depending on the subject, I'd cut pupil spending by ~33% and pay you $100k with a $20-30k budget for pencils n shit while saving the taxpayer ~$50k.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
gergroy said:

Depends on the budget in your state but given the $12k average and the average class size shouldn't be bigger than 10-15 depending on the subject, I'd cut pupil spending by ~33% and pay you $100k with a $20-30k budget for pencils n shit while saving the taxpayer ~$50k.

Haha, that would be great!  Wouldn’t happen in Utah though.  We are in last place in per pupil spending by a long ways.  I have never had a class of less than 30 students.  This is actually the first year in a long time that all my classes aren’t over 40 and that’s because they just built a new school... I do make about 65k though.

mZuzek said:
Nighthawk117 said:
Let them open....I don't give a shit. However, I don't mind them being closed - because I hate seeing shitty ass school buses on the road slowing me down!

wow you are very edgy

Welcome to my world. 

So many conflicting thoughts. Education is important. Safety is important. Herd immunity is important. Freedom is important. Every other cause of death, many with far higher death rates, that we overlook are important. We can't have it all.

Around the Network

Nothing should reopen unless cases are going down. Everything but the bare necessities should be open and people should be in their homes. Asking if it's ok to reopen the schools right now is like asking if smoking is harmful when you're literally on fire.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Dulfite said:
So many conflicting thoughts. Education is important. Safety is important. Herd immunity is important. Freedom is important. Every other cause of death, many with far higher death rates, that we overlook are important. We can't have it all.

Nothing conflicting here. Easy solutions for everything.

1. Education is not as important as human lives and can be done safely from home. Solved.

2. Safety is important, which is why everyone should stay at home. Solved.

3. Herd immunity doesn't happen through random contagion. It's not gonna be a thing before a vaccine exists. Solved.

4. People are given the freedom to not die by staying at home. Some freedoms are more important than others. Solved.

5. There currently is no other single cause of death with a higher death rate. Which is why we tackle this one with priority. Solved.

Life is always about compromise, the current time we live in is no exception. There is no absolute freedom for everyone and there never will be. As soon as people get that into their thick skulls we will all live better lives.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I'll side with some of the teacher's unions. No more school until there is a vaccine and everyone is inoculated.

That way, when it actually happens a decade later, the planet will be covered in gigabit internet and will only require a fraction of the teachers online.

By then we'll probably have finally 'advanced' to, 'teachers as a service'.

Genius..

Pyro as Bill said:
Yes. Just put the teachers in full face visors for $100 per teacher.

Or sack them all and give the $12,000 education budget straight to the parents if the teachers can't teach.
https://www.governing.com/gov-data/education-data/state-education-spending-per-pupil-data.html

Just saw this and thought.... what would a teacher in a setup to protect him/herself look like?

Probably like those people at testing sites.

Teacher, why are you dressed like that?
Well kids, your all little germ spreaders that'll likely kill me if I dont.
Now go sit at your desk, dont interact with other kids in the room, and pay attention to the whiteboard.
Also the cafateria is closed, so your getting no launch today (or the next) unless you bring it with you yourselfs, tell your parents.

Class....Class.....SHUT UP !!!....says Sister Mary Elephant.