By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Frank_kc said:
Barozi said:

Again you didn't really specify what you mean with that.

Quite a few Xbox One X games run at 4k 30 FPS. Why get any next gen console, when most next gen games won't be able to beat that performance? 4k 60 FPS won't be the standard next gen. Is that the answer to your performance question?

Or do you actually expect the Series S / Lockhart to be on the same level as the Xbox One X?
CPU was the big bottleneck last gen. Lockhart will easily surpass Xbox One X in that regard. Same for loading times. So yeah, on the technical level, Lockhart is definitely better than Xbox One X. But if that isn't enough... maybe the fact that not every current gen console owner has a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X, so the jump will be much bigger for most gamers. Also the most obvious reason: being able to play next gen exclusives after the initial cross-gen period.

This is the way I look at it.... graphics jump to next Gen won't be that much. It will be more about SSD. The difference between last gen xbox and Lockhart would be minimum.

So? Why would someone who owns the most powerful current gen console wanna buy the least powerful next gen console (Nintendo excluded)?

Also Xbox One X was designed for high resolution while Lockhart is primarily a 1080p machine, meaning there's a ton of unused power that can be used for other things.

Around the Network
KratosLives said:
zero129 said:

Lower to 720P lower textures etc, ya know the kinda stuff engines have been doing for years now.

No one will want to go back to 720p after getting used to 1080.

and why would I want to play this 1080p grand epic on Series X when I was just getting used to (near) 4k resolution with Xbox One X?

You just debunked your own point.

My thoughts here:
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=242736

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

eva01beserk said:
EricHiggin said:

A question that should really be asked, is does MS believe the XB1 branding is tainted, and would they be better served to drop it altogether next gen? While that would leave the sub $299 price range solely to PS4, it would allow MS to take a step towards getting rid of the XB1 negativity. It couldn't be forgotten completely as they will still be supporting XB1 consoles, but being able to say they are no longer selling that hardware, would be a way to make it look like they are making a worthy push into next gen without being held back as much. It would mostly be marketing PR, but MS needs all the positivity they can get now and going forward.

The fact that they called it "Series X", says to me, if there is going to be another lesser console, that's spec'd similar to XB1X, then there is next to no reason to keep the XB1X. Call it 'Series Whatever' and move forward, dropping XB1X. Maybe that means no more XB1S as well, maybe not. We'll see. 

If Lockhart is real and does exist with specs close to what has been leaked, who's to say there isn't a lower tier below that to compete with PS4? Perhaps just an xCloud streaming box. Maybe they end up with Series S, Series E, Series X. $199, $349, $499. Now that would be really interesting.

Would that be mic drop worthy in terms of hardware?

I never thought of that. your right, the xbox one name might be poisonous. that really could be a good reason to change the name even if the performance is the same.

There are rumors that the lockhart apu is meant for surface laptops. But that would cost more than an xsx most likely. I would not be surprised if part of the family is a set of laptops ranging from the rumor 4tf and going up to maybe matching the xsx at maybe a heafty premium. I would definetly consider that a mic drop moment. I have zero interest in an xsx, but if they make that laptop lockhart =< $1000 I would buy it instanly.  

They could attempt an XB1X Slim as you described, with new tech for cheaper, but I think moving forward will look better for MS overall, while also being less confusing considering the specs of both XB1X's would be different.

While 4TF Lockhart can't exactly be directly compared to XB1X 6TF, it shouldn't be all that far off in terms of graphical performance. 4TF of RDNA 2 shouldn't be all that much weaker than 6TF of GCN architecture. MS might even be thinking about better competing with Pro if they think SNY is going to keep it around though. Consumers will see 4TF vs 4.2TF and would see that as a wash along with 8 CPU cores. Lockhart likely having more RAM, and an SSD, while being next gen capable, would be the main selling points going for it. If Pro went down to $299, and Lockhart was $299 or $349, if would make people think twice about which console to get between the two.

I have a hard time believing MS is ready to start clearly mixing PC and console hardware just yet, and an XB laptop would do just that. If MS were looking to try and go mobile, that could be a first step in that direction however. It definitely would be surprising.

Barozi said:
KratosLives said:

and why would I want to play this 1080p grand epic on Series X when I was just getting used to (near) 4k resolution with Xbox One X?

You just debunked your own point.

When you are sitting withing a metre or 2 of the tv gaming, the difference between 4k and 1080p isn't that noticeable. However the jump from 720 to 1080p is big. 

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
theprof00 said:

I mean, fair point, but I still feel like MS is up to something. 

Honestly? It's going to be up to the games.

Clearly, Lockhart dosen't have either the power or innovation going for it. It's just beefed up XBox One in the eyes of the consumer. But if MS (finally) manages to have some excellent(not good, not great, it needs to be excellent) first party lineup, then yeah, the price will start speaking louder, specially with the gigantic economy crash comming up.

In the eyes of the consumer, it's probably more or a next-gen console for half the price. Most players and parents don't know much about specs.

I like the idea of a budget console, but significantly less RAM concerns me. That disparity just seems too big.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

KratosLives said:
zero129 said:

Lower to 720P lower textures etc, ya know the kinda stuff engines have been doing for years now.

720p with image reconstruction tech isn't the same as 720p of the 7th gen per se.

Also, dynamic resolutions help keep the average resolution higher.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

This will do well. XSX footage will be used for ads with slogans like "play your next-gen games on the most powerful console, starting at 299$", especially that most third party games will be cross-gen for at least 3 years. PS4/X1, for all intents and purposes, are PCs. This means they will get many years of 3rd party software support just like any PC as a result. This generation will easily outlast the PS3/X360 era by a huge margin. If PS4Pro wasn't such a flop, SONY would've had the chance to do even better selling 8th gen consoles.

I think MS can easily lock the US/UK market next generation to themselves with this machine, or twist SONY's hand to respond sooner with price cuts. Nintendo will remain unaffected. 

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 27 June 2020

eva01beserk said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Of course. It makes about as much sense as your other ideas in this thread, no offense. And you said nothing about the GPU and CPU deficit. 

You’re essentially saying Scorpio can already run next gen games if you just remove everything that makes them next gen. And instead of supporting cross gen for the launch window as planned they’d be doing it the entire gen. Doesn’t make any sense.

If Lockhart is real, it will be intended to run next gen games at a lower resolution. Not next gen games at a lower resolution and missing features. Not to mention your idea makes it impossible for any of the system capabilities of XSX like quick resume, XVA, etc to be utilized. Again, a terrible idea.

Hold on, where you not one of the great defenders of scalability and now you dont understand how games scale? You should really get your act toghether. 

Thats the entire point. If you scale everything back, the weaker gpu and cpu should be able to run anything. Only feture I see the xbox not being able to handle is raytracing. But thatnks to its 12gb of ram, the x1x should be able to keep up with anything else at 1080p. 

Graphics can much better scale up and down than non-graphic stuff.

The bottleneck of the Xbox One X is clearly the Jaguar CPU-part.

Why do you think that only a few Xbox One X games have a performance mode with 60 fps and lower resolution/eye candy instead of 30 fps 4K?