Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Leaked Lockhart specs

Nautilus said:
theprof00 said:

I mean, fair point, but I still feel like MS is up to something. 

Honestly? It's going to be up to the games.

Clearly, Lockhart dosen't have either the power or innovation going for it. It's just beefed up XBox One in the eyes of the consumer. But if MS (finally) manages to have some excellent(not good, not great, it needs to be excellent) first party lineup, then yeah, the price will start speaking louder, specially with the gigantic economy crash comming up.

In the eyes of the consumer, it's probably more or a next-gen console for half the price. Most players and parents don't know much about specs.

Around the Network

I like the idea of a budget console, but significantly less RAM concerns me. That disparity just seems too big.

Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

KratosLives said:
zero129 said:

Lower to 720P lower textures etc, ya know the kinda stuff engines have been doing for years now.

No one will want to go back to 720p after getting used to 1080.

720p with image reconstruction tech isn't the same as 720p of the 7th gen per se.

Also, dynamic resolutions help keep the average resolution higher.

Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

This will do well. XSX footage will be used for ads with slogans like "play your next-gen games on the most powerful console, starting at 299$", especially that most third party games will be cross-gen for at least 3 years. PS4/X1, for all intents and purposes, are PCs. This means they will get many years of 3rd party software support just like any PC as a result. This generation will easily outlast the PS3/X360 era by a huge margin. If PS4Pro wasn't such a flop, SONY would've had the chance to do even better selling 8th gen consoles.

I think MS can easily lock the US/UK market next generation to themselves with this machine, or twist SONY's hand to respond sooner with price cuts. Nintendo will remain unaffected. 

Last edited by LurkerJ - 6 days ago

eva01beserk said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Of course. It makes about as much sense as your other ideas in this thread, no offense. And you said nothing about the GPU and CPU deficit. 

You’re essentially saying Scorpio can already run next gen games if you just remove everything that makes them next gen. And instead of supporting cross gen for the launch window as planned they’d be doing it the entire gen. Doesn’t make any sense.

If Lockhart is real, it will be intended to run next gen games at a lower resolution. Not next gen games at a lower resolution and missing features. Not to mention your idea makes it impossible for any of the system capabilities of XSX like quick resume, XVA, etc to be utilized. Again, a terrible idea.

Hold on, where you not one of the great defenders of scalability and now you dont understand how games scale? You should really get your act toghether. 

Thats the entire point. If you scale everything back, the weaker gpu and cpu should be able to run anything. Only feture I see the xbox not being able to handle is raytracing. But thatnks to its 12gb of ram, the x1x should be able to keep up with anything else at 1080p. 

Graphics can much better scale up and down than non-graphic stuff.

The bottleneck of the Xbox One X is clearly the Jaguar CPU-part.

Why do you think that only a few Xbox One X games have a performance mode with 60 fps and lower resolution/eye candy instead of 30 fps 4K?

Around the Network
KratosLives said:
Barozi said:

and why would I want to play this 1080p grand epic on Series X when I was just getting used to (near) 4k resolution with Xbox One X?

You just debunked your own point.

When you are sitting withing a metre or 2 of the tv gaming, the difference between 4k and 1080p isn't that noticeable. However the jump from 720 to 1080p is big. 

So Goopy sits more than 7 meters away from his TV and you are sitting 1 - 2 meters away from your TV?

Both these extremes aren't that common.

Also many Switch games are only 720p in docked mode. So why shouldn't Microsoft be allowed to offer an entry-level console for the price-conscious people who consider 720p in some games "good enough" for diiferent reasons (sitting far away, using a small tv,...)?

Pemalite said:
NextGen_Gamer said: 

haxxiy said:

I'm fairly sure NVMe SSD + 10 GB of RAM overwhelms 12 GB + HDD easily, all other things being equal. Hell, even 6 - 8 GB + SSD would likely do it.

An SSD isn't a replacement for Ram, we need to keep that in mind.

Surely not, but the point was that there is no way to even begin to compare the functionality of 12 GB of RAM fed by a 50 MB/s HDD versus 8 or 10 GB fed by a 3 GB/s SSD. One can fill the RAM in a few seconds. The other, I'm not even sure how developers accomplish the miracle of making games appear on screen after only half a minute or so to begin with.

LurkerJ said:

This will do well. XSX footage will be used for ads with slogans like "play your next-gen games on the most powerful console, starting at 299$", especially that most third party games will be cross-gen for at least 3 years. PS4/X1, for all intents and purposes, are PCs. This means they will get many years of 3rd party software support just like any PC as a result. This generation will easily outlast the PS3/X360 era by a huge margin. If PS4Pro wasn't such a flop, SONY would've had the chance to do even better selling 8th gen consoles.

I think MS can easily lock the US/UK market next generation to themselves with this machine, or twist SONY's hand to respond sooner with price cuts. Nintendo will remain unaffected. 

MS will be sued like never if they do this exactly.

BraLoD said:
LurkerJ said:

MS will be sued like never if they do this exactly.

"Play your next-gen games on the most powerful console*. Xbox Series starting at 299$",

Problem solved.

KratosLives said:
Barozi said:

and why would I want to play this 1080p grand epic on Series X when I was just getting used to (near) 4k resolution with Xbox One X?

You just debunked your own point.

When you are sitting withing a metre or 2 of the tv gaming, the difference between 4k and 1080p isn't that noticeable. However the jump from 720 to 1080p is big. 

It depends on distance AND TV size.

Also believe it or not but there's a combination of these two where there isn't much of a difference between 720p and 1080p.

Try sitting 1 meter in front of my TV. You would easily be able to see the difference between 4k and 8k, so this grand epic 1080p would look like shit on that distance.