By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Leaked Lockhart specs

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/26/21304112/microsoft-xbox-series-x-lockhart-leaked-document-specs-rumors

Seems pretty legit, considering the source.

4TF, 7.5GB of RAM, small dip on CPU speed.

I think this could easily run next gen games at 1080p or maybe even 1440p. Clearly wouldn’t hit the same frame rates as XSX but it would be a budget machine, $199? 

Id still stick with the Series X.

Around the Network

Next Gen games at 1080p, 60fps for a cheaper price I think is very enticing. I would still buy the SX, but I would imagine this would be very popular for a lot of families.

This wont be what people are expecting, be nothing more than a performance mode.

Yeah the "Lockhart" rumors are getting more and more legit. I am thinking $299, since although the chip itself will be much smaller than XSX (being just a 4TF "RDNA 2" GPU instead of 12TF), it will still need the exact same 1TB of SSD storage setup as the high-end console. The small dip in the CPU clockspeed isn't unexpected and wouldn't have any negative effect on the games. A large part of the CPU's time is draw calls to the GPU - and since games running on "Lockhart" will be 1080p instead of 4K, that means a LOT less draw calls. I'm guessing maybe around 3.50GHz (down from 3.80GHz on XSX)?

At this point, here are my price predictions:

$499 - Xbox Series X, 1TB SSD

$299 - Xbox Series S, 1TB SSD

$499 - PlayStation 5, 825GB SSD

$449 - PlayStation 5 Digital Edition, 825GB SSD

Seem consistent spec, should be at least 200USD cheaper than Series X even if they need to subside to do it, otherwise it will have a hard time.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

So what happens with games designed to run at 1080p/1440p on Series X with detail cranked up to the max and all 12GB ram used for detail and textures? Or is Series X just going to run Lockhart designed games at 4K/60. First we get mid gen upgrades, now we get pre-gen downgrades :/

SvennoJ said:

So what happens with games designed to run at 1080p/1440p on Series X with detail cranked up to the max and all 12GB ram used for detail and textures? Or is Series X just going to run Lockhart designed games at 4K/60. First we get mid gen upgrades, now we get pre-gen downgrades :/

Considering devs also have to keep low PC specs in mind, I doubt there will be a problem with things like that.

You can also see it on the Switch. None of the ports were really designed for that system, so what are they doing? Dropping framerate from 60 to 30 and dropping resolution to 720p or sub HD.

Also no next gen game should run lower than 1080p 60FPS. Anything lower than that would be pretty disappointing performance-wise.
Dropping the game to 900p 30 FPS might be enough to make it playable on Lockhart.

Last edited by Barozi - on 26 June 2020

If the cpu is a slghtly underclocked cpu, I see this console to be priced at $399. My xb1X is more powerful in everything except the CPU.

Barozi said:
SvennoJ said:

Considering devs also have to keep low PC specs in mind, I doubt there will be a problem with things like that.

You can also see it on the Switch. None of the ports were really designed for that system, so what are they doing? Dropping framerate from 60 to 30 and dropping resolution to 720p or sub HD.

Also no next gen game should run lower than 1080p 60FPS. Anything lower than that would be pretty disappointing performance-wise.
Dropping the game to 900p 30 FPS might be enough to make it playable on Lockhart.

It just tempers expectations yet again for stellar first party games that use every ounce the next gen machines are capable of.

Switchs ports are definitely possible and work since it's on a small size portable screen. 30 fps won't go away next gen on the ps5 and series X. Cross-gen titles hold back next gen titles at first yet after the first 2 years last gen gets left behind. Lockhart I assume is supposed to be around for the entire next gen setting the minimum specs to run on a lot lower.

I mean, we never saw what ps4 pro and XBox One X are truly capable of delivering this gen. No exclusives for the mid gen refreshes.

You're not gonna get high quality 1440p out of those specs. But that's good 1080p performance.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'