By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Leaked Lockhart specs

Still sounds to me that this is not a new console at all. This is just gona be a xbox one x slim made with the newest tech but just aiming for parity or a little bit better cuz the new tech is just that much better. Most likely they will still call it the xbox one x(maybe slim). they will drop the price of it at least $100 of what it currently is, maybe $150.

They will be sure to tell devs that its not their new console and they wont be forced to support it, while first party will still support it.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
SvennoJ said:

So what happens with games designed to run at 1080p/1440p on Series X with detail cranked up to the max and all 12GB ram used for detail and textures? Or is Series X just going to run Lockhart designed games at 4K/60. First we get mid gen upgrades, now we get pre-gen downgrades :/

I thought you knew better Svennoj.. Scaling can do amazing things.

True

Lockhart vs Series X!

Barozi said:
SvennoJ said:

The Unreal tech demo looks great to me at 1440p 30 fps on ps5. Plenty games will be 1440p30 next gen on ps5 utilizing the fast I/O of the SSD. The idea that a 'high end' console is only there to run at higher res / fps just isn't for me I guess.

I have a 65" 4K HDR tv and from the couch (about 12ft eye distance) I can not tell the difference between 1440p upscaled and 4K native, or 1800p checker boarded and 4K native. Native 4K is a waste of GPU power plus many games are absolutely fine at 30 fps. I don't even see the point upgrading from blu-ray for movies at 12ft and 65".

Proper anti aliased 1080p with 4K HUD probably looks perfectly fine at normal couch viewing distance. It's like this whole native 4K push is just for those playing 2ft away from a monitor.

But no one says that you can't have multiple graphical options in next gen consoles, similar to what PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are already offering.

Many enhanced games have three options:

1) Resolution: max resolution (4k on X1X), medium to high effects, 30 FPS

2) Performance: 1080p (or dynamic) resolution, medium effects, 60 FPS

3) Quality: dynamic resolution, max effects, 30 FPS

Where's Max detail, 1080p 30fps on X1X ;)

And what does that leave Lockhart at 720p minimum detail?

Anyway the more options the less optimization is usually how it goes, hence the mid-gen refreshes had these different options to do something with the excess gpu power instead of creating more detailed worlds.

eva01beserk said:
Still sounds to me that this is not a new console at all. This is just gona be a xbox one x slim made with the newest tech but just aiming for parity or a little bit better cuz the new tech is just that much better. Most likely they will still call it the xbox one x(maybe slim). they will drop the price of it at least $100 of what it currently is, maybe $150.

They will be sure to tell devs that its not their new console and they wont be forced to support it, while first party will still support it.

Not a new console, just the Scorpio remade with new tech... in other words a new console? Makes no sense for them to keep the Xbox One X name. They’ll have Series X and Series S. Also makes no sense to release a console that third party won’t support. 

Barozi said:
Frank_kc said:

Your logic is inaccurate. ... what's the motive to upgrade to xss if it plays at similar performance level or less to current gen?

Again you didn't really specify what you mean with that.

Quite a few Xbox One X games run at 4k 30 FPS. Why get any next gen console, when most next gen games won't be able to beat that performance? 4k 60 FPS won't be the standard next gen. Is that the answer to your performance question?

Or do you actually expect the Series S / Lockhart to be on the same level as the Xbox One X?
CPU was the big bottleneck last gen. Lockhart will easily surpass Xbox One X in that regard. Same for loading times. So yeah, on the technical level, Lockhart is definitely better than Xbox One X. But if that isn't enough... maybe the fact that not every current gen console owner has a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X, so the jump will be much bigger for most gamers. Also the most obvious reason: being able to play next gen exclusives after the initial cross-gen period.

This is the way I look at it.... graphics jump to next Gen won't be that much. It will be more about SSD. The difference between last gen xbox and Lockhart would be minimum.

Around the Network

If that thing is priced at $250 or $200 then it's official, MS is going after Nintendo's market as the "second console" with that device and going after Sony with their $500 or $400 Series X. A two front war.

I expected them to come out guns swinging against PlayStation, but did NOT expect them to target the "second console" market that Nintendo dominates.

LudicrousSpeed said:
eva01beserk said:

Not a new console, just the Scorpio remade with new tech... in other words a new console? Makes no sense for them to keep the Xbox One X name. They’ll have Series X and Series S. Also makes no sense to release a console that third party won’t support. 

Thats the whole point. MS can call it whatever they want, but they cant force third party devs to support it. So they cant call it a 9th gen system if 9th gen games skip it. As it stands, if the target is runing next gen games at 1080p, the xbox one x can already do that. The only thing that could be a problem is the ssd. Im not sure if the one x can swap hard drives, but if they could thats all they would need to catch up. Even if they wont be able to put a fast enough drive cuz it does not have acces to pcie 4, it does not need it. By droping to 1080p and removing some extra fetures there would be a lot less data that needs streaming. So who knows, maybe a 1gbs drive could be good enough. And the best part, is that they could already have a step up for installbase as there are already a few million 1x's out in the wild. Wich will make third party devs a lot more willing to suport the device. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

BraLoD said:
Sounds pointless as always to me, buying a next gen system for a subpar experience.
Keep on last gen until you have money for the actual jump, a lot of games will still run on the XBO.
Unless you are getting your first console, I really can't see the point of paying for the compromisses instead of waiting or going all the way.

If the main difference between Series X and Lockhart is 4K/sub 4K vs 1080p/900p, then I could see why many people would be interested in the cheaper model. Basically anyone without a 4k monitor/TV. Which apparently is... A lot of people. 

At those specs, I expect Lockhart to release with the same $300 pricetag that the One S has now, and that Microsoft will be able to sell Lockhart with some profit at that price.

In other words, Microsoft wants to grab all those who can't afford the $500+ next-gen consoles but still want to play next-gen games. Could be a very smart move if done right.

Wow I legit came up with this idea 5 years ago when I mentioned a .5 style console.
Good for ms, it's a great idea. ;)
Should've come out in place of the one x though.