By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 8th Gen to 9th Gen: Visual Analysis Thread

CGI-Quality said:
Shiken said:

Plenty of people already feeling the leap from PS3 to PS4 was too small is kind of my point, and this looks even smaller to the naked eye.  I am speaking strictly from a perspective standpoint afterall.  I have already said several times I am not speaking technically nor am I including the other innovations that will make this new gen more relevant.

As the title says visual analysis, I only see a need to give my opinion based on visual perspective from what I saw in the 4k streams.

I realize that you are giving your opinion — I just respectfully disagree. :)

OT:

To everyone who watched the trailer, this was one of those "wow" moments for me. Not God of War III wow, but I was floored, nonetheless (even though I knew what was to come). 

Yeah, well, see, that's the point. You were floored because you are involved into such stuff and know how much work was going in and how much scrutiny was needed to get this improvement. I wasn't floored, as I know this is just a fleeting moment in a game I might play for hundred hours. The reason I was impressed by Ratchet&Clank and Kena was, that they showed gameplay. Sure, Kena showed no gameplay that is impossible today, but it showed nice gameplay which probably keeps me entertained. For Horizon I am excited, because I know what gameplay to expect, but they showed little to none. The graphical improvements will not keep me in excitement over a 100 hour play-session. There might be moments when I think: this scenery looks nice, or this object looks great. But most of the time it will not be on the front of my mind, as I play.

Sorry, I know how much work goes into this kind of thing, but I also always ask myself: what if some of that work would've gone into gameplay improvements. And for some games it does. Again R&C and Kena look exciting for this exact reason. But the graphical wow that keeps you blowed away all through the game is probably a thing of the past. Alone the talk about 'watch the 4K trailer to see the improvement' makes it clear, that the improvements aren't that obvious anymore.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Rachet and Clank really seems very 'next-gen' to me. The other games not so much. I'm actually a little surprised that it's a cartoony game which stood out to me as 'this is a big graphical advancement' more than the realistic games.

Yeah I’m also not exactly impressed much. I’m sure there’s a lot going on under the hood and that’s all great for the quality of life of developers, but in the end nine out of ten people, including me, only care about the final picture. And that looks basically like what we have already. With some added detail if you really zoom in and look for it. Likewise with the UE5 demo, where they make a point on how ‘cool’ a certain flock of bats is. I’m sure it’s great that this engine can now make a flock of bats with a single mouse click, but it’s not like we couldn’t have a flock of bats looking and behaving (or at least to the naked eye) exactly like it before. It’s all a big “whatever”. If the improvements noticeable in the final, dried up image are this tiny going from the 8th to 9th gen, I dread to see the next ‘leap’.

CGI-Quality said:

I think you should put on your OP

I am impressed. It exceed what I expected.
We have to consider that the better the visuals, the slim is the perceptual improvement.
So, I expected almost nothing more than we already have in ps4 pro or one x.
The lighting, the fine geometry, and the number of details, specially in the scenario.
Feels a bigger leap than PS3 to PS4, imho.

Yet, the bigger improvements are technical. Instant asset access excites me in the new gaming possibilities.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Dulfite said:
I just don't really see anything notable. I'd be perfectly content with this gen graphics, but faster loading times? Okay now you've got my attention.

Obviously Nintendo is the one that will benefit the most from upgrading graphics, because these pics make this gen look great still, rather than outdated, for Xbox and PlayStation. Nintendo will be exciting to see with their next device considering that it will probably be a big leap forward. They tend to have two generations around the same level before a giant leap forward.

NES/SNES
GameCube/Wii
Wii U/Switch

Each of these more or less looks the same as the first one. N64 was a big exception because they did two leap forwards in a row with that and GameCube. Switch graphics are really no different than Wii U so I suspect Switch 2 will catch up to PS4, which again looks no different than Ps5 graphics to me. Finally Nintendo will catch up to the other two in noticable graphics to the majority of consumers (not fps/resolution/HDR fanboys that make up the vocal minority), but really I'm excited about loading times for them. Astral Chains and Xenoblade X had TERRIBLE loading times and I'd like to see those days gone!

Yeah no, SNES looks way, way better than NES, and Wii U and Switch are noticeably different.

Show me an NES game even in the same league as this:

NES to SNES is a tiny little jump compared with SNES to N64 and that's my point.

And Wii U/Switch games look the same practically.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Dulfite said:
Each of these more or less looks the same as the first one. N64 was a big exception because they did two leap forwards in a row with that and GameCube. Switch graphics are really no different than Wii U so I suspect Switch 2 will catch up to PS4, which again looks no different than Ps5 graphics to me. Finally Nintendo will catch up to the other two in noticable graphics to the majority of consumers (not fps/resolution/HDR fanboys that make up the vocal minority), but really I'm excited about loading times for them. Astral Chains and Xenoblade X had TERRIBLE loading times and I'd like to see those days gone!

I hate to be that person by Nintendo will be nowhere near to catch Sony/MS unless they drastically change direction of how their consoles are designed. Switch is a bit better than PS3 that's fine but PS3 is a 2006 console. I'm not even sure next Nintendo console will catch up current PS4 Pro, let alone PS5

Did you read my whole post? To me the PS5 looks no different than PS4, so if Switch 2 is close to PS4 then it will be close to PS5 to me in visuals. I'm not saying ultra hardcore graphics obsessed gamers think this, but the majority of people buying these don't really care about these minor differences. The graphical leap from Ps1 to Ps2 and PS2 to PS3 was massive and very easy to see for consumers. PS4 wasn't as bit of a leap forward and PS5 looks almost the same as PS4 to me. Therefore when Switch 2 comes they will, I predict, in the eyes of the vast majority of gamers, (which aren't Digital Foundry obsessed gamers) gain quite a lot of ground in graphics.

Obviously the super hardcore will find differences, but that isn't the main consumer base.

Reduced loading to instant loading times will be a huge deal for me cause i enjoy games like Monster Hunter and souls series and the faster that resetting to a new play goes the better,keeps you energetic the whole playtrough.

I dunno if it's just because I've never had a Pro, but current gen now looks pretty ugly and lifeless to me now having seen some of these trailers for next gen. R&C, Kena and HZD2 in particular look like a big step forwards. Foliage doesn't look completely terrible and obviously 'gamey' anymore.

Honestly the reason why many people said the generational leap between PS3 and PS4 was rather small was because we had big graphical showpieces like The Last of Us or Beyond Two Souls just right before the PS4 was released and it took some time until the games which really showed off the PS4s power like The Order 1886 arrived.
Also on PS3 generation developers constantly went over the render budget and made games with bad framerates whereas in the PS4 generation devs were much more conservative and didn't overstrain the systems as often. So we did lose some graphical advancements in order to get more stable games.