Forums - Gaming Discussion - 8th Gen to 9th Gen: Visual Analysis Thread

DonFerrari said:
CGI-Quality said:

Honestly, it is hard not being able to share more or convey just the strict science of it, but I do what I do because I love it and watching a formula come to life is really why. I can't fault folks for missing the jumps many of the tech people see, because yes, we'll never quite be at a PS1-PS2/PS2-PS3 situation again. But, there is still so much work to be done and the kind of worlds that are going to be rendered this time around won't simply be a visual jump and little else.

Just remember this word: D E N S I T Y

When you say "the science behind it" I do remember the devs explaining what they done in The Order and just thought "I had no idea devs knew these much about advance physics and what not".

Yeah, much more goes into it than people realize. Often times, the devs are simply better equipped artists like me, using the exact same techniques that are at my disposal.

Angelus said:
After you said so many times even after the UE5 demo that we haven't seen ANYTHING yet, I honestly expected more than what was on show here. Not that some of the games shown weren't very pretty - I actually was very partial to Kena in particular - but there wasn't anything that gave me that "holy shit" moment.

Put it this way, if early stuff looks like this (which includes many of the features I said it would), then the UE5 demo is an appetizer. I also said that, while the best of the best wouldn't be seen at launch, early games would display the advancements that technology had taken in the 3D world (Athia, for example, looks very much like the scene I created)...

Athia

My Scene

Same advancements, including raytracing, better draw distances, and texture work. ;)

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 13 June 2020

Around the Network

I just see diminishing returns. Still returns but diminishing.

crissindahouse said:

RolStoppable said:

8th gen:

9th gen: 

We can see an impressive depth of field effect in the 9th generation and if we examine the screenshots closely, we also notice that the rough polygonal edges in the character model are gone. Beyond that, the lighting is improved and the additional processing power allows for more detailed facial expressions.

just imagine next next gen

gif

I am in love with this gif! Hahaha! What the hell!?

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 13 June 2020

Yes kirby could use a 10th gen leap

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I just think everyone should go back and watch the trailers in 4k, the live stream really didn't do a lot of the games shown justice.

NobleTeam360 said:
I just think everyone should go back and watch the trailers in 4k, the live stream really didn't do a lot of the games shown justice.

I`ll tell you youtube have been such a joker here that even 4k streams were looking worse than 1080p for like 2 days. I will watch the DF analysis of the show and hope their stream is good or have a download video.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network
Angelus said:
After you said so many times even after the UE5 demo that we haven't seen ANYTHING yet, I honestly expected more than what was on show here. Not that some of the games shown weren't very pretty - I actually was very partial to Kena in particular - but there wasn't anything that gave me that "holy shit" moment.

Yea I am at that point myself. There are differences for sure but I haven't had my Infamous Second Son moment yet in terms of Graphics.

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

DonFerrari said:
NobleTeam360 said:

I`ll tell you youtube have been such a joker here that even 4k streams were looking worse than 1080p for like 2 days. I will watch the DF analysis of the show and hope their stream is good or have a download video.

you need to manually put it on 4k for some vids even if the title is 4k

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

DonFerrari said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Gamersyde often has a decent quality in my opinion (at least if you rewatch trailers there)

While I was impressed by the UE5 demo, the actual games shown so far have diminishing returns hitting hard for me. Just like the jump from PS3/360 to PS4/Xbone, I'm left left feeling like "that's it? After 7 years?"

That "wow, now this is next gen" feeling is so far sorely lacking.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 13 June 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

My laptop is the diminishing return factor. Viewing static shots in 600x400 or whatever vgchartz scales them down to, I guess it looks better? Too lazy to watch 4K streams on my tv (don't even know how). Too lazy even to right click view image and zoom in :/

That gif with the instant transitions looks mighty impressive (other thread) but static shots on a 1080p SDR display, Death stranding on my 4K HDR tv looks much better. Marketing has reached an end point here. It already had no chance to properly show/market VR, now it can't market 9th gen improvements either.