Forums - Gaming Discussion - 8th Gen to 9th Gen: Visual Analysis Thread

CGI-Quality said:
trunkswd said:

I guess you've hyped it up more than Sony or Microsoft. You are our CGI guy  

Honestly, it is hard not being able to share more or convey just the strict science of it, but I do what I do because I love it and watching a formula come to life is really why I do this. I can't fault folks for missing the jumps many of the tech people see, because yes, we'll never quite be at a PS1-PS2/PS2-PS3 situation again. But, there is still so much work to be done and the kind of worlds that are going to be rendered this time around won't simply be a visual jump and nothing more.

Just remember this word: D E N S I T Y

Biggest jump in gaming was 2D to 3D. Sure graphically games suffered in those early days, but it is something that had to happen. I still remember my jaw dropping when Microsoft showed off the Halo 2 gameplay demo at E3 2003(?). Of course, in the end the game didn't look or play nearly as well as in that demo as the OG Xbox couldn't run it.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

At first didn't seem that different between PS4 and PS5 screenshots you provided but after looking at it more can see a decent improvement.

Honestly I'm impressed by far less graphical games. It's going to be harder to impress people more in another generation or two. However, everytime I think they can't improve in-game graphics that much more they always somehow surprise me.

trunkswd said:
CGI-Quality said:

Honestly, it is hard not being able to share more or convey just the strict science of it, but I do what I do because I love it and watching a formula come to life is really why I do this. I can't fault folks for missing the jumps many of the tech people see, because yes, we'll never quite be at a PS1-PS2/PS2-PS3 situation again. But, there is still so much work to be done and the kind of worlds that are going to be rendered this time around won't simply be a visual jump and nothing more.

Just remember this word: D E N S I T Y

Biggest jump in gaming was 2D to 3D. Sure graphically games suffered in those early days, but it is something that had to happen. I still remember my jaw dropping when Microsoft showed off the Halo 2 gameplay demo at E3 2003(?). Of course, in the end the game didn't look or play nearly as well as in that demo as the OG Xbox couldn't run it.

I was one of few that didn't really see a massive jump from 2D to 3D. It was simply.....different. And yes, it had to happen.

I used the PS2/3 examples though because they were more recent and as apparent as it could get in like-for-like situations. 

CGI-Quality said:

Shiken said:

Oh you misunderstand!  I am not trying to imply that games like Horizon could run on a PS4.  I am simply saying that the visual leap to the human eye is less impressive, even on my 4k TV.  It has nothing to do with technical aspects that explain why a game could/could not run on a gen 8 machine, but more to do with the diminishing returns of visual leaps from gen to gen as a whole.  I meant that it LOOKS like a sharper PS4 Pro game with a few added details that will go unnoticed in motion, not that the game could in fact run on a PS4.

Not to mention, with Horizon in particular, I am sure there are some new physics related things that will even further prevent it from being played on a gen 8 machine.

The idea of diminishing returns is also a slippery slope (at least right now), because what we've just seen was effortless and still the jump is apparent. They haven't even scratched the surface (though they are taking advantage of the hardware). What went into these games is nothing compared to what will go into later ones, where the visual/technical aspects will make even these early games look vastly outdated. 

We'll reach the climax of diminish returns when the effort is not met with the appropriate response. These games still floored plenty of people, even if there are those who don't see much of a difference (or look for said details). Some are simply satisfied where we are, and until things look photorealistic, they won't really care to invest in the finer details.

As I always try to tell people, they don't put in what is assumed they do, and as each gen comes along, they won't have to. But, the weight of diminishing returns are inevitable and will be reached some day. 

People have been talking about diminishing returns, with respect to graphical leaps eeachtime there's a big change in the tech (such as a new console generation) for as long as there have been big changes in the tech.  This thought does seem to pass the smell test, as it always has, but the smell test keeps being proven wrong.  

Huge Improvements to hair and lighting. The leap in textures is a lot less impressive though. Horizon ZD's art style still holds up so damn well that a lot of the "WOW" factor to me in HorizonFW's trailer was due to the sheer density and scale of the scenes in the trailer. Now that HorizonFW has been confirmed to be native 4K it makes these scenes even more impressive.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

Seems to me that most of the games presented here could just as well run on the Pro. Theres however no way of knowing the true leap just yet.

OTBWY said:
Seems to me that most of the games presented here could just as well run on the Pro. 

Nope.

Also (and this is something I hope people really take from me), don't consider every change in art a "downgrade". Using my own work as an example, I can assure you that a lot of changes happen simply due to artist choice and not because of a lack of hardware. In one of these pics, there is a "reduction" of cartilage tissue on her nose (artistic choice), more dirt on the skin (removing some of the "shine"), more dense fibers of the sweater, and a better application of SSS. Yet, I was told that said pic was a downgrade from what I had before.

Don't be so quick to assume an artistic change is a downgrade. Yes, it happens (looking at you, WATCH_DOGS), but most of the time, it is a simple change as a project progresses.

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 13 June 2020

Marginal at best and that's assuming these trailers and such are honest.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Marginal at best and that's assuming these trailers and such are honest.

Considering the monstrous jump in hardware, nothing shown was so spectacular that it couldn't be done on said machine and it wasn't marginal either (particularly something like the shifting world of Ratchet).

Could not have been done on any current gen console in that fashion.