By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 8th Gen to 9th Gen: Visual Analysis Thread

CGI-Quality said:

Shiken said:

Oh you misunderstand!  I am not trying to imply that games like Horizon could run on a PS4.  I am simply saying that the visual leap to the human eye is less impressive, even on my 4k TV.  It has nothing to do with technical aspects that explain why a game could/could not run on a gen 8 machine, but more to do with the diminishing returns of visual leaps from gen to gen as a whole.  I meant that it LOOKS like a sharper PS4 Pro game with a few added details that will go unnoticed in motion, not that the game could in fact run on a PS4.

Not to mention, with Horizon in particular, I am sure there are some new physics related things that will even further prevent it from being played on a gen 8 machine.

The idea of diminishing returns is also a slippery slope (at least right now), because what we've just seen was effortless and still the jump is apparent. They haven't even scratched the surface (though they are taking advantage of the hardware). What went into these games is nothing compared to what will go into later ones, where the visual/technical aspects will make even these early games look vastly outdated. 

We'll reach the climax of diminish returns when the effort is not met with the appropriate response. These games still floored plenty of people, even if there are those who don't see much of a difference (or look for said details). Some are simply satisfied where we are, and until things look photorealistic, they won't really care to invest in the finer details.

As I always try to tell people, they don't put in what is assumed they do, and as each gen comes along, they won't have to. But, the weight of diminishing returns are inevitable and will be reached some day. 

People have been talking about diminishing returns, with respect to graphical leaps eeachtime there's a big change in the tech (such as a new console generation) for as long as there have been big changes in the tech.  This thought does seem to pass the smell test, as it always has, but the smell test keeps being proven wrong.  

Around the Network

Huge Improvements to hair and lighting. The leap in textures is a lot less impressive though. Horizon ZD's art style still holds up so damn well that a lot of the "WOW" factor to me in HorizonFW's trailer was due to the sheer density and scale of the scenes in the trailer. Now that HorizonFW has been confirmed to be native 4K it makes these scenes even more impressive.

4 ≈ One

Seems to me that most of the games presented here could just as well run on the Pro. Theres however no way of knowing the true leap just yet.

Marginal at best and that's assuming these trailers and such are honest.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

CGI-Quality said:
Leynos said:
Marginal at best and that's assuming these trailers and such are honest.

Considering the monstrous jump in hardware, nothing shown was so spectacular that it couldn't be done on said machine and it wasn't marginal either (particularly something like the shifting world of Ratchet).

gif

Could not have been done on any current gen console in that fashion. 

The shifting worlds was definitely a great part. The thing is, when I look at the DF video from 2016 in which they have shown R&C on PS4 Pro and compare it with this Gif then this does definitely look better, have more particles, better lighting, textures and so on but the video from 2016 still looks good to me. Not sure if I found games from 2009 still good looking after I saw Ryse or Killzone Shadowfall. 

I would really love to see a new GTA and how that would profit from the better tech but well...

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

8th gen:

9th gen: 

We can see an impressive depth of field effect in the 9th generation and if we examine the screenshots closely, we also notice that the rough polygonal edges in the character model are gone. Beyond that, the lighting is improved and the additional processing power allows for more detailed facial expressions.

just imagine next next gen

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 13 June 2020

Tbh, comparatively I'm more impressed with this next gen reveal than I was at time the of the PS4 reveal

Thanks CGI, as always you pick great screen captures that show the jump for anyone less attentive to details would miss on the video. Even if on video it really is even more impressive overall.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

After you said so many times even after the UE5 demo that we haven't seen ANYTHING yet, I honestly expected more than what was on show here. Not that some of the games shown weren't very pretty - I actually was very partial to Kena in particular - but there wasn't anything that gave me that "holy shit" moment.

So far I'm liking what I'm seeing.

There's noting revolutionary or that wasn't possible on PC, but I had my expectations in line.

Given that, we are seeing / going to see:

1. Better native (framebuffer) resolution;
  2. Thanks to ray tracing shadows and lighting tends to be much more realistic;
  3. The fast SSD is going to cut drastically loading times and open a couple to new gameplay possibilities;
  4. CPUs are good enough to make 60 FPS a reality (with proper compromisses on both resolution and ray tracing).

Although, I would prefer slightly weaker hardware (GPU and CPU) but with better ray tracing capabilities, the hardware of the new generation of consoles seems to be very well balanced, which wasn't the case in the last couple of generations by the way.  

My only real concern right now is with pricing, releasing expensive consoles in the middle of a global crises isn't going to be easy.