By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 8th Gen to 9th Gen: Visual Analysis Thread

Death stranding is still the best looking technical marvel..can't wait to see what kojima does next.

Around the Network

You guys need to watch the trailer on 4k on big TV not on your phones or Laptop. I just watch the Horizon 2 demo , it's crazy how the water effect , foliage, lightning, draw distant, texture, polygon, it's CG quality.

Just imagine the CG we have in PS4, that's what we got on PS5

As someone who knows very little about technical matters... After re-watching some games shown on the PS5 presentation I think the aspect people are underestimating about the 9th generation... Is realism. But not in a purely visual sense like in "wow, this person and this landscape look so real", but more like... How things behave in our world. 

This generation, save for some select games that go far beyond your average title like Red Dead Redemption 2 or Breath of the Wild... Both the characters and the enviroments are pretty much static. An explosion occurs. Yeah, maybe one or two predefined assets will catch fire like barrels, cars, etc. Or burst into pieces that will disappear after a few seconds. But that wooden house next to the explosion? Intact. The ground? Not even a stain of black. People and animals? In some games you'll be lucky if they even acknowledge that the explosion occured at all. 

Now, look at Ratchet & Clank and the new Oddworld. These games are not even open world games. Yet the amount of shit that breaks, explodes, burst into thousands of pieces and overall reacts to our actions and the actions of the enemies/enviroment is insane compared to the average gen 8 games. Not to mention that they do that while boosting both resolution and overall graphics to levels that would be impossible to achieve on last gen machines.

And these are only the first games, and not even truly big ones. Imagine what they will do two, four or six years from now. We might see games were things that we take for granted in the real world but percieve as "unreal" in games due to the usual limitations of hardware... might actually be possible.

I think truly interactive games (or at the very least MUCH MORE interactive) will be the true advance this generation. NPCs that react more, enviroments that can be affected by our actions, objects that will behave more realistically... 

Or maybe I'm just talking nonesense. Who knows xD

kirby007 said:
DonFerrari said:

I`ll tell you youtube have been such a joker here that even 4k streams were looking worse than 1080p for like 2 days. I will watch the DF analysis of the show and hope their stream is good or have a download video.

you need to manually put it on 4k for some vids even if the title is 4k

That was exactly what was happening. It showed 4k but in white, and when I double checked it was on automatic and sometimes putting bellow 480p. Put it on 4k mannually and it didn't throttle or anything at all so I have no idea why the automatic was putting that so much bellow 4k.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
kirby007 said:

you need to manually put it on 4k for some vids even if the title is 4k

That was exactly what was happening. It showed 4k but in white, and when I double checked it was on automatic and sometimes putting bellow 480p. Put it on 4k mannually and it didn't throttle or anything at all so I have no idea why the automatic was putting that so much bellow 4k.

google is throttling bandwidth on youtube to sustain the immense succes that is stadia while making PS5 look bad

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
CGI-Quality said:

I realize that you are giving your opinion — I just respectfully disagree. :)

OT:

To everyone who watched the trailer, this was one of those "wow" moments for me. Not God of War III wow, but I was floored, nonetheless (even though I knew what was to come). 

Yeah, well, see, that's the point. You were floored because you are involved into such stuff and know how much work was going in and how much scrutiny was needed to get this improvement. I wasn't floored, as I know this is just a fleeting moment in a game I might play for hundred hours. The reason I was impressed by Ratchet&Clank and Kena was, that they showed gameplay. Sure, Kena showed no gameplay that is impossible today, but it showed nice gameplay which probably keeps me entertained. For Horizon I am excited, because I know what gameplay to expect, but they showed little to none. The graphical improvements will not keep me in excitement over a 100 hour play-session. There might be moments when I think: this scenery looks nice, or this object looks great. But most of the time it will not be on the front of my mind, as I play.

Sorry, I know how much work goes into this kind of thing, but I also always ask myself: what if some of that work would've gone into gameplay improvements. And for some games it does. Again R&C and Kena look exciting for this exact reason. But the graphical wow that keeps you blowed away all through the game is probably a thing of the past. Alone the talk about 'watch the 4K trailer to see the improvement' makes it clear, that the improvements aren't that obvious anymore.

Your two posts confused so many things.

For the regular game sure it doesn't matter that every single strand of hair was individually draw or the meshes on the cloth. But on the visual impact that will matter and he will notice without knowing what exactly had him so impressed.

And people on the team that make the graphics and the gameplay are two different groups so you don't have "hey we have to stop improving graphic to improve gameplay" that is one stance from Nintendo fans that is the most annoying.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

KratosLives said:
Death stranding is still the best looking technical marvel..can't wait to see what kojima does next.

Depends, on several areas Detroit Become Human beats Death Stranding.

freebs2 said:
Tbh, comparatively I'm more impressed with this next gen reveal than I was at time the of the PS4 reveal

Same here... I don't know what people are talking about, R&C, Resi 8, and H2 all looked amazing, and seemed to be a bigger jump in quality than what we have seen with Killzone SF, Ryse SoR and Infamous SS. And that even with a 1080p/30fps stream. Everything felt so natural and believable when compared with this generation, and this is only the tip of the iceberg. Sure the new spiderman looks "meh" and the indies are more of a diversity push, than anything else (still loved most of them), but all-in-all I loved what I have seen thus far, and can't wait to see more.

At this point on I really can't wait to see what MS's 1st party studios are working on, and man I would kill just to see a glimpse of Gears 6 (yeah, I know, we won't get that this year).

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
-img

Digital Foundry and some others talked about they looking like were rendered;