By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 8th Gen to 9th Gen: Visual Analysis Thread

Spindel said:

As someone that actually plays games I can tell you the differneces shown here will not be noticable while you play.

Do you refute what i'm capable of seeing? :p

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

Neither of the games that had good scores or good looks suffered on gameplay because they were pretty or had a lot of resources on it, that is just a fallacy throw for not liking the gameplay on that game. It is possible that these games that you don't like the gameplay had more resources put on gameplay than a Mario game that you like.

And I looked at the image, again the difference becomes more on the details and static images make it harder to see. But you naturally notices the differences and when getting used to it and go back to older you see that something is amiss. That happens to me all the time when I rewatch something of older gen that I found to be fantastic and now I can see the gaps.

I actually don't like Mario or Jump&Runs in general. You are assuming I am arguing down to you as a Nintendo fan willing to put down Sony. But I still feel as a DOS gamer in heart, I got away from gaming as the general direction was in a way that didn't mesh with me before Wii introduced me to console gaming. And I appreciate a console game as much as I did a good DOS game in the 90s. This is not about Nintendo or Sony or this crap. This is about games. And I appreciate that Sony does make good games. I don't think Horizon is a bad game, and R&C in the presentation looked outright awesome. But not because of graphics, but because of the other stuff that felt like a step ahead. And that is why I was impressed by Kena, but have worries about Project Athia.

Sony presented some good games, that is out of the question. But they are often good for other reasons than graphics. And diminishing returns are a reality, just look again at HollyGamers pictures of R&C through the gens and tell me the wow-effect is the same for the difference of the PS4/PS5-comparison, as it is for the PS2/PS3-comparison. Look through this thread how often people said that you should look at 4K-streams to see the difference. This all should tell you: people need to pay a lot more attention to notice and appreciate the differences in visuals, than was needed back then in PS2 gen. This simply is diminishing returns.

It is funny that multiple posters say they are not impressed, but others saying: just look at this detail or at a 4K-stream to see the difference, while at the same time denying that diminishing returns are relevant already. These posters that aren't impressed are simply a result of the diminishing returns. That happens. That some people have learned themself in looking at some visual details still notice the improvements does not change that. Because diminishing returns means less and less people are impressed.

And again, that is not a shot against Sony, the same is happening for XSX and Nintendo and PC and Stadia. Stadia also showed off what theoretical is possible (still not present in actual games), but I wasn't impressed. And the Stadia machines have very beefy hardware.

I know that diminishing returns exist and the perceived jump is getting smaller, that isn't what I'm disputing. But that still doesn't make the gap from the two R&C that small. The game is still pre-Alpha and is already easy to see the general difference. Sure at first glance it may be reduced to more fur or the like, but when you see the two in movement at maximum quality the difference is noticeable.

I just put some of the games revealed for my wife to see and even on the 1080p presentation she said that it wouldn't run on PS4 (and didn't even need to show the crabs CGI used), and she doesn't understand the technical part she had that gut feeling just from the looks of the games she see me playing versus what was show.

Some of the users that aren't impressed say stuff like for then the level of graphics of PS3 is enough or that they can't see a difference from that to PS5 graphics in general and that the game would run there with small concessions, or that TW3 is almost on the same level among PS4Pro and Switch and that with DLSS Switch 2 will be about as equal IQ as PS5 and XSX. So it is very muddy water.

Stadia have a lot of issues that we don't need to discuss here =p

I understand that you aren't taking shots against Sony. But there isn't really a lack of investment on gameplay versus graphics. Sure the graphics got a lot of investment and need a lot of manpower to realize, but the gameplay isn't relegated because of that. The level design and gameplay elements are lot less manpower demanding than the execution of the graphics, so it isn't really a matter of lacking investiment. Would you say that a game like RDR2, GoW, UC, etc where they put hundred million dollars on the development they cheaped out on the gameplay? I can perfectly understand you not liking their gameplay or choices but that wasn't because they didn't invest. Similar stuff with AI, it have several issues and points to improve but it isn't because the CPU is just to weak or no investment is made. It is just harder and harder to impress and confuse us with the AI without making the game impossible to beat. That is because we have a lot of experience to know how to beat the AI.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Trumpstyle said:

I also agrees with most folks, the DR is real. But I was expecting this, that most games will look like Star wars Battlefront 2 on max graphics with 4k resolution on PC.

If we look at god of war which is probably the best looking game this gen, there's simply not much improvement you can make, mostly just higher res textures as the games textures are abit low, 60fps at 1440p and better view distancing (just way to much fog) and make Freyas hair look better. More than this you simply not gonna notice. More improvements game devs can make is to get rid of all the blurs (Bookah, depth of field, motion blur) as this just ruins the game. I also think there can be some improvements in AA too.

You probably watched different trailers if you can't see the difference against God of War. Horizon 2 looks leaps above it.

Horizon Forbidden West:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq594XmpPBg

God of war:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0u_kAWLJOA

The different simply isn't big. Horizon Forbidden west failed to fix some issues atm, the trailer still has a lot of fog, most likely to hide the view distances, the tree leafs still looks flat.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Trumpstyle said:
DonFerrari said:

You probably watched different trailers if you can't see the difference against God of War. Horizon 2 looks leaps above it.

Horizon Forbidden West:

God of war:

The different simply isn't big. Horizon Forbidden west failed to fix some issues atm, the trailer still has a lot of fog, most likely to hide the view distances, the tree leafs still looks flat.

Don't know what to tell you on Horizon 2 and GoW not showing a jump. But again you were discussing with CGI that his model looked worse than PS4 games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Trumpstyle said:

Horizon Forbidden West:

God of war:

Don't know what to tell you on Horizon 2 and GoW not showing a jump. But again you were discussing with CGI that his model looked worse than PS4 games.

i'd use his model as background if she had a bit more fat on the bones

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

I remember when the Xbox 360 came out and I played demos of its games at EBgames and K Mart I was really unimpressed by its graphics. It took till Gears of War before there was a game that made me go 'wow' when I saw footage or screenshots. Then 2007 had beautiful games like Bioshock, Assassin's Creed 1, COD 4. But for the first year the jump didn't seem so impressive. With Gen 8 it took even longer for games that seemed a true generation ahead to start coming out often. There were a few games like Ryse that were far more beautiful than anything a gen 7 system could do, but those tended to be more like tech demos than full-fledged games. The Order 1886 was the biggest offender in that regard. But by 2015 we started seeing games that really looked a generation above. By 2023 I expect the differences will seem huge to everyone.

The law of diminishing returns is real, but it has always been blunted by the development of new technologies and new techniques, Pixel shaders in gen 7 made characters and environments look like they had many more polygons than they actually did. Ambient occlusion provided a natural look that wasn't possible before. Ray-tracing is the big one nowadays. With a generational leap developers can't get away with doing the same things they did on older hardware, but better. That something new has to be there that wasn't there before.

HollyGamer said:

Just look how much progress we has on graphic 

Playstation 2

(..)

Playstation 3

(..)

Playstation 4

(..)

Playstation 5

(..)

Sorry but this isn't very convincing, and proves the view of those claiming the graphical jump isn't impressive more than it counters it. Unless that was your point, I'm not exactly keeping up with who's who here. There is 'an' improvement from PS4 to PS5 sure, but it's absolutely tiny. For all intents and purposes, especially if you consider you won't see a moving image the same amount of time as you're looking at a still here, those images look the same. The difference from PS3 to PS4 is much more noticeable at a glance. Obviously the difference from PS2 to PS3 is huge, though I suspect PS2's image isn't really the most flattering to pick. If you need a magnifying glass to spot the improvements I don't feel it's fair to boast about a graphical evolution. But I get it, the console maker's PR is their life, that's all fine.

I feel like this generation games will look less gamey and much more into the realm of CGI. All these small improvements add up and do add the sense of realism and believability (even for more stylized video games). If you can't see it then, well that's on you.

Give it a few more years and the whole diminishing returns argument will go out the window. Again.

I was actually pretty impressed by what I saw graphically, much moreso than 7th -> 8th gen. Now planning the best time to upgrade my gaming PC to match the next gen. Will wait a bit before I buy a PS5 since my Switch and PS4 backlogs are pretty big still.

I don't see the effect of diminishing return yet. We hear about it every new generations. But I always notice the leap from one gen to the other.

I like to use the grass strands example.
Gen 5: no strands, grass is only a pixelated/muddy texture.
Gen 6: patches of grass or bushes scattered here and there but mostly flat ground with grass texture.
Gen 7: Higher res textures with individual grass strands, but those are big and overgrown.
Gen 8: Smaller individual strands, more realistic for sure, but still bigger than they should. Effect still makes the games look more realistic.
Gen 9: proper sized individual strands, so A LOT more of them are used to cover the actual landscape. Making the games look much more realistic.

Now that's just using grass as an example. But this kind of increase in graphical fidelity is pretty much like that in most if not every aspects of the graphics.

Then you factor in the lighting that keeps on getting better gen over gen. The effect being that graphics are now very, very close to look as good as pre-rendered visuals. I can understand if people don't notice all the details that are improved, or aren't as impressed by them as some others (myself included) are. But there is no denying there's a leap between gen 8 and 9 visuals. The generational gap is clearly there. Sure it's all in the details, but that's always been this way. The details are simply getting smaller than when 3D graphics were still in their infancy. Those tiny details may not be much in isolation, but the screen is filled with those, so to my eyes there's one heck of an improvement over the 8th gen visuals.