By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 8th Gen to 9th Gen: Visual Analysis Thread

CGI-Quality said:

Unfortunately, some will never let up on the loose term known as diminishing returns (which is actually being used incorrectly, but I'm not going to derail the thread with it). One thing I will keep telling people is none of the titles shown are even close to what we will have even in the next two years. I get some skepticism, but the hardware will do the talkin'! Just using PlayStation (never mind the more powerful Xbox Series X), let's examine what will be running your games versus what the baseline for game development was last time (the PS4)...

-snip-

We're talkin'...

• 2x the RAM
  • A galaxy of a difference in the GPUs
  • nearly 300GB more mem bandwidth
  • I/O throughput (SSD facilitated) that easily bitch slaps even my $5000+ PC (when compressed, we're talking 9x what the PS4 could do)

That's just the PS5. The Series X, just in sheer graphical might, is even more impressive. I only say this to state just how little any of those things are even being pushed in the present, but they will be taken advantage of. So, you are, without a doubt, correct that the "CGI" look is going to happen this gen.

Its strange that people keep mentioning it because the way I see it 8th gen isn't even remotely close to CGI. I mean they do look good but games still look like games. If that makes sense...

I would say we might hit it next next gen (10) when GPU's are able to offer full raytracing in all modern titles. That's when devs can stop faking it and offer true-to-life lighting on all objects.

But yeah the jump in hardware alone is crazy. Especially the I/O offered in the SSD vs hard drives and GPU grunt. Makes me excited to see Microsoft can do with all that hardware next month.

Last edited by hinch - on 14 June 2020

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
crissindahouse said:

Whatever it is called. It's still the same kind of levels and not a completely new thought out game. They had the old game and thought "how can we make that even better" and not "how can we build a completely new R&C game"

They build everything from scratch but it's still "we need a bridge here because there was one in the original game" and so on. 

Don't get me wrong, there is a huge difference now. I'm just one of the "PS4 games still look nice" guy and I didn't feel like that with previous gens. I really disliked games on the old platforms when new platforms released graphics wise. 

The jump may be even bigger now because PS4/XBO were already outdated at release but I'm at a point now at which everything new is nice but what we have now will be still ok in some years.   

Please explain how what you are saying have anything to do with the graphics or visual of it.

Shadow of The Colossus, RE2, RE3, FFVIIR are all remake and very few games are comparable to them on the graphical level this gen.

Demon's Souls is a remake for next gen and also nothing on this gen of consoles looks better than it.

Ok, just realized this thread is only about visuals and not all improvements^^

Also really interested to see how Kena looks on the PS4. Hoping we get a Digital Foundry comparison video in the near future for this.

The game looks gorgeous on the PS5

I guess I'm still waiting on that Gears of War/Rogue Squadron II moment for this new generation, which I suppose isn't unusual as the machine themselves aren't out yet. Then again, that moment never came for me with PS4/Xbone. Just gotta wait and see I guess.

crissindahouse said:
HollyGamer said:

Have you watch the comparison Video ? 

Watch first on 4k and then continue our discussion. Also Digital foundry said the graphic on this games surpass even the CG animated movie  

The graphic jump is staggering even bigger then PS3 to PS4, it's not just resolution . So many happen on the screen. That's not even talk about AI , physics, instant level transition. That's crazy huge 

See, it definitely looks better on PS5 but it was a remaster on PS4 and they still had to use the same level architecture. If it would have been a completely new R&C maybe there would have been more impressive level design as well? It's not only the PS4 holding it back, they still had to build the game having the old R&C levels in mind. 

It does also look much better on PS4 Pro as it does in this comparison but that was an upgrade mid-gen and I won't mention that.

The games are not remaster, it's a remake or reboot  with new graphic and new visual effect. It's actually an adaptation of the movie that adapted by the original Playstation 2 games. 

The graphic above are from PS4 pro it's still look bad compared to PS5 Ratchet and Clank

Around the Network
hinch said:

Also really interested to see how Kena looks on the PS4. Hoping we get a Digital Foundry comparison video in the near future for this.

The game looks gorgeous on the PS5

on original PS4 will probably 900p or 800p at 30 fps. With a lot of graphic downgrade like low texture, low shadow, polygon density, low draw distance, low particle effect (i assume),  Because most cross gen are like comparing games running with ultra graphic setting on high end PC with normal setting on mainstream and mid tier PC.

crissindahouse said:
DonFerrari said:

Please explain how what you are saying have anything to do with the graphics or visual of it.

Shadow of The Colossus, RE2, RE3, FFVIIR are all remake and very few games are comparable to them on the graphical level this gen.

Demon's Souls is a remake for next gen and also nothing on this gen of consoles looks better than it.

Ok, just realized this thread is only about visuals and not all improvements^^

Yep those will take more time for us to see the differences.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

curl-6 said:
I guess I'm still waiting on that Gears of War/Rogue Squadron II moment for this new generation, which I suppose isn't unusual as the machine themselves aren't out yet. Then again, that moment never came for me with PS4/Xbone. Just gotta wait and see I guess.

I know you won't probably buy them (but when you get your PS5 perhaps you can try), Detroit Become Human and Death Stranding, look for their 4k videos and see if it doesn't impress you.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

HollyGamer said:
crissindahouse said:

See, it definitely looks better on PS5 but it was a remaster on PS4 and they still had to use the same level architecture. If it would have been a completely new R&C maybe there would have been more impressive level design as well? It's not only the PS4 holding it back, they still had to build the game having the old R&C levels in mind. 

It does also look much better on PS4 Pro as it does in this comparison but that was an upgrade mid-gen and I won't mention that.

The games are not remaster, it's a remake or reboot  with new graphic and new visual effect. It's actually an adaptation of the movie that adapted by the original Playstation 2 games. 

The graphic above are from PS4 pro it's still look bad compared to PS5 Ratchet and Clank

It's either the PS4 version or his material is bad and only his PS5 material is good. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCdr55c8sBg

That looks way better as in his video. 

But I already stated that I didn't realize this thread is only about visuals and not everything else which does play a role even in a reboot. 

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

I know you won't probably buy them (but when you get your PS5 perhaps you can try), Detroit Become Human and Death Stranding, look for their 4k videos and see if it doesn't impress you.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that there aren't games on PS4 and Xbone that look great, it's just that in previous generations there was always at least that one game that just left my jaw on the floor, be it Rogue Squadron II on the Gamecube, Gears of War on the 360, or Uncharted 2 on PS3.

Nothing quite approached that same level of "wow" for me in the current gen.

The UE5 demo kinda gave me that feeling, but that wasn't an actual game.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 June 2020