By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 8th Gen to 9th Gen: Visual Analysis Thread

CGI-Quality said:

To everyone who watched the trailer, this was one of those "wow" moments for me. Not God of War III wow, but I was floored, nonetheless (even though I knew what was to come). 

This looks quite impressive - but (as per usual), I will ask...when I run on that beach with my character, will I leave footsteps that stay in that sand, and if no wind disturbed them and no water flushed them away I will find them again hours later? Cause (as in other threads), that is what i want from games, for stuff to behave as it should and visuals to be just an icing on the cake.

Fortunatelly, I do believe there will be devs (mostly smaller) that will use some of more important advancements in next-gen hardware to try to achieve that "And now for something completely different" moment.

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
crissindahouse said:

It's either the PS4 version or his material is bad and only his PS5 material is good. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCdr55c8sBg

That looks way better as in his video. 

But I already stated that I didn't realize this thread is only about visuals and not everything else which does play a role even in a reboot. 

Nope the videos are the same quality both from Youtube. You need to look at the clank reflection, textures, polygon count, smoothness of the geometry edges, shadow, lightning, foliage, world density, character, and the amount of particle effect.

It's simple. The games now look outdated.  It's still great looking games no doubt, but when you compared directly PS4 look like a a very cheap quality version of animated movie made on basement by student,  while PS5 Rachet are from pixar or Disney animated movie.  

Sry dude, but in the comparison video R&C isn't even sharp at all. Just look at the text and compare it with the in-game text in the video I posted which is super sharp. It may be also the PS4 Pro version but it looks like shit but his PS5 material looks super sharp. 

I'm not talking about reflections, geometry or anything. Just about how blurred it is compared to the video I've posted.

If you have a super sharp video on the right and a blurred one on the left then it looks like an even bigger difference as there is (even though the difference is still big)

S.Peelman said:
HollyGamer said:

Have you watch the comparison Video ?

(video)

Watch first on 4k and then continue our discussion. Also Digital foundry said the graphic on this games surpass even the CG animated movie  

The graphic jump is staggering even bigger then PS3 to PS4, it's not just resolution . So many happen on the screen. That's not even talk about AI , physics, instant level transition. That's crazy huge 

If I need to watch a video on 4k with my face pressed against the screen to begin to see the difference, then that’s my point; I need a ‘magnifying glass’. While you can immediately see the difference between PS2 and PS3 even if you watched a video on 240p in black and white half the room away. Moreover, I’d say that video is an unfair comparison because it’s not comparing the same kind of scenes; different environments and different times of day causing different lighting, meaning there’s too much ‘buts’ already in this video. It’s not like the PS4 can’t produce a yellowish dusk-like hue, a time of day that always makes a scene look better by default, for example. Again I’m sure there’s a lot going on under the hood making things more efficient, but I only care (and ‘see’), and with me probably 90 percent of the people, about the end result. And it’s just very close together, the improvement is minimal, and I’m not really impressed. We would have the exact same conversation if we talked about the Horizon Forbidden West footage as well.

Note, I do have to say that I find this expectable, understandable and acceptable however, considering how far we’ve already gotten with videogame graphics. Graphical advancements are in the smallest details now, and they will be, until we invent the Holodeck.

Well you don't need to watch 4k video using magnifying glass, because this is not about resolution comparison, and with 4K video it's there so you can see the difference on  " visual fidelity ". with 4k you will easily spot between "pre rendered CGI  "and  "real time" 

. Like "Polygon" (how the object draw )  , Density (the amount of object and detail ) texture (how detail and small the sand, poores , small stone on the sand on the ground) , lightning like accuracy of reflection, the amount of reflection, and then physics like water effect , cloud effect . 

It's fine , it's  a matter of how long your eyes get trained with PS4 pro and PS4 games, i am sure some people cannot event see the difference between  PS2 games and PS3 games , you one of them. 

I hope in we will have in close up gameplay and comparison video for now it's a bit difficult because some games is still not on playable mode. But for now just listen to the unbiased trained eyes and people who know a lot of graphic stuff like CGI , NX gamer, Digital foundry, etc. 

crissindahouse said:
HollyGamer said:

Nope the videos are the same quality both from Youtube. You need to look at the clank reflection, textures, polygon count, smoothness of the geometry edges, shadow, lightning, foliage, world density, character, and the amount of particle effect.

It's simple. The games now look outdated.  It's still great looking games no doubt, but when you compared directly PS4 look like a a very cheap quality version of animated movie made on basement by student,  while PS5 Rachet are from pixar or Disney animated movie.  

Sry dude, but in the comparison video R&C isn't even sharp at all. Just look at the text and compare it with the in-game text in the video I posted which is super sharp. It may be also the PS4 Pro version but it looks like shit but his PS5 material looks super sharp. 

I'm not talking about reflections, geometry or anything. Just about how blurred it is compared to the video I've posted.

If you have a super sharp video on the right and a blurred one on the left then it looks like an even bigger difference as there is (even though the difference is still big)

HollyGamer said:
crissindahouse said:

Maybe we just talk past one another? You don't have to show me the videos. I know the differences, I was just arguing that the comparison video didn't show the PS4 Pro version or it used bad material from PS4 Pro

Wouldn't even be a problem not to show the PS4 Pro version since comparing the normal PS5 with the normal PS4 is absolutely fine. 

But to show you what I meant:

https://imgur.com/a/n35Kr9j

One picture is from the comparison video and one is from the PS4 Pro video DF made. Just look how much sharper the UI in the pic from the DF is. It does definitely look much better on PS4 Pro. 

Around the Network

I was hoping to see examples of next gen AI and physics in the ps5 showcase.

KratosLives said:
I was hoping to see examples of next gen AI and physics in the ps5 showcase.

What examples of AI would you be looking for,are you able to see them when it is not pointed out?

curl-6 said:
SvennoJ said:

VR isn't for me, and while as I said plenty of games do look great on PS4/Xbone, my jaw never dropped in amazement like it did in prior generations.

I remember playing the nighttime rain level in Gears of War or being attacked by the helicopter across the rooftops in Nepal in Uncharted 2 and feeling like "holy shit, how can a video game look like this, it's like I'm playing something from the future."

Diminishing returns started to kick in for me with the current gen, where as good as it looked, the leap just didn't feel as big as past generational gaps. Looking at the games shown for PS5 and Xbox Series X so far, I'm getting that feeling once again. Still, it is early days.

Too stressfull i assume?

S.Peelman said:
Immersiveunreality said:

It's a  matter of perception,while you do not see a lot of change others will see tons so what we are able to see can be very different.

True, there is a case of different interests between different people. I can fully understand how CGI for example, to name one of the celebs here, can really delve into pictures and comparisons like these to pick them apart and point out every advancement. I couldn’t, but that’s where someone like him comes in handy; I still find it interesting to look at the pictures and read about these things and what progress is made gen over gen regardless.

Bundled with my autism i have near perfect eyesight(based on yearly eyesight tests for work) so i mostly recognize all details and that might make a solid difference to notice improvements like these better,but i do think the improvements of the new gen will become much more clear once we are some years in like usual.

Yeah someone like CGI who is assumingly a dev himself knows what kind of tech is used and how much work is put into something and he knows where to look.

S.Peelman said:
HollyGamer said:

Have you watch the comparison Video ?

(video)

Watch first on 4k and then continue our discussion. Also Digital foundry said the graphic on this games surpass even the CG animated movie  

The graphic jump is staggering even bigger then PS3 to PS4, it's not just resolution . So many happen on the screen. That's not even talk about AI , physics, instant level transition. That's crazy huge 

If I need to watch a video on 4k with my face pressed against the screen to begin to see the difference, then that’s my point; I need a ‘magnifying glass’. While you can immediately see the difference between PS2 and PS3 even if you watched a video on 240p in black and white half the room away. Moreover, I’d say that video is an unfair comparison because it’s not comparing the same kind of scenes; different environments and different times of day causing different lighting, meaning there’s too much ‘buts’ already in this video. It’s not like the PS4 can’t produce a yellowish dusk-like hue, a time of day that always makes a scene look better by default, for example. Again I’m sure there’s a lot going on under the hood making things more efficient, but I only care (and ‘see’), and with me probably 90 percent of the people, about the end result. And it’s just very close together, the improvement is minimal, and I’m not really impressed. We would have the exact same conversation if we talked about the Horizon Forbidden West footage as well.

Note, I do have to say that I find this expectable, understandable and acceptable however, considering how far we’ve already gotten with videogame graphics. Graphical advancements are in the smallest details now, and they will be, until we invent the Holodeck.

If you can see the difference between PS2 and PS3 on a 240p B&W video why are you complaining of the time of the day difference between the PS4 and PS5 video? Seems you are the one wanting to put unfavorable comparison to claim "no difference".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

WARNING HIS IS MY VIEW AND IT MIGHT TRIGGER PIXELCOUNTERS:
truth be told for myself the biggest jump was going from the snes towards the n64 and from the n64 towards the GC
that first time SM64 jump out of the tube? magical
that first time seeing 007 starting on the dam? mindblowing
the gamecube did upgrade the major lines into sleak ones with luigis mansion
but after that? deffo improvements in leaps and bounds but nothing as mindblowing
MAYBE AND MAYBE crysis could wiggle in there as @omgwtfbbq
but since? meh...
did i play amazing looking games hell ye playing Horizon for the first time @4k with HDR was superb
it was infront of skyrim fully modded, but leaps and bounds? nah and thats the funny thing i played skyrim starting in 2011 on a HD ready TV and worked my way upwards towards 4k, graphical mods spoil us.
the yearly call of duties since 2005 didn't help since they improve yearly aswell
my reasoning i have been eased into the improvements much more frequently which is why i feel the jump has lessened

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.