By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 8th Gen to 9th Gen: Visual Analysis Thread

Going back to the Rachet and Clank demonstration, I think one of the reasons it impressed me so much was that it showed much more actual gameplay rather than looking like a cutscene, which I felt was the case with Horizon. It had a trailer, but then it had an actual gameplay demo, and that demo is where we really got to see just how much more is going on than has been possible in any other 3d platformer before now and how the dimension shifting will be handled in-game. Maybe I'm just overcompensating for the Killzone 2 'reveal' debacle, but it's hard for me to go wow when I see camera angles that are clearly not possible during gameplay, even if it's in-engine. It's a hard thing to manage when you also want the trailer to be cinematic. Later games in the presentation also showed a good amount of gameplay, but Rachet was the first to make me stop and take notice, and I think it showed more gameplay than any other game did.

Around the Network

I really like the level of detail. It's too bad my 32" will probably not be up-gradable to 4K in a long time since I doubt there will be any.

I hope they keep it up. People may not notice the level of detail going forward, but when they look back at old games in a couple years, they will start to notice. Hair won't look right, skin won't look right, trees, etc. We have become accustomed, even as good as some of the best games this gen have looked, we still have to gloss over the fact that things still look fake.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

CGI-Quality said:

One of the things about next gen that will stick out beyond a visual upgrade is just how many games won't feel like they take place in the same universe. Games will go from a hallway in an apartment, to space, to the underground, to a Cyber City, etc, etc. And it will look like cutscenes of old in real time.

*Pictures are rendered using some of the same techniques/engines/programs you've seen me use [these are not mine]. This is a hypothetical game, but would all happen on one production.

They are simply to illustrate just how much better it is going to get in regards to textures work, depth of field, raytracing, HDR, and world building/shifting (this is big, thanks to those SSDs).

I hope  this are achievable on open world level , i bet close area like The Last of Us or Uncharted or God of War games will be even better . Cannot wait for VR games on PS5. 

I'm hearing that a lot of these games are running at native 4K, and maybe that's the problem.

The UE5 demo was 1440p, but as a result had more rendering budget to pour into aspects other than pixel count, which for me are much more noticeable. 

Maybe spending so much power hitting a full 4K is kinda limiting the rest of the graphics.

curl-6 said:

I'm hearing that a lot of these games are running at native 4K, and maybe that's the problem.

The UE5 demo was 1440p, but as a result had more rendering budget to pour into aspects other than pixel count, which for me are much more noticeable. 

Maybe spending so much power hitting a full 4K is kinda limiting the rest of the graphics.

From DF video all the games seemed native 4k (normal on start of gen though), well at least all that Sony 4k videos later should be.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

yeah achieving full 4k will be a waste compared to what UE5 can done with 8k assets and textures at 1440p. It even make full 4k look ugly. But That's how far third party engine can go. With first party it will be easy to achieve more then UE 5 quality in terms of geometry complexity  at 8k while achieving at 4k. Horizon 2 forbidden west already on par with UE 5 on top of that it's open world games with many character and enemy. 

HollyGamer said:
curl-6 said:

yeah achieving full 4k will be a waste compared to what UE5 can done with 8k assets and textures at 1440p. It even make full 4k look ugly. But That's how far third party engine can go. With first party it will be easy to achieve more then UE 5 quality in terms of geometry complexity  at 8k while achieving at 4k. Horizon 2 forbidden west already on par with UE 5 on top of that it's open world games with many character and enemy. 

Horizon 2 looks good, but it doesn't look as good as the UE5 demo to my eyes, not even close, not even in the same league.

curl-6 said:
HollyGamer said:

Horizon 2 looks good, but it doesn't look as good as the UE5 demo to my eyes, not even close, not even in the same league.

That's because it's not a deep gameplay section, you can bump this comment. Wait for deep dive gameplay in a coming month. 

HollyGamer said:
curl-6 said:

That's because it's not a deep gameplay section, you can bump this comment. Wait for deep dive gameplay in a coming month. 

We'll see. I still reckon shooting for 1440p or checkerboard 4K would be a better use of next gen power; better quality pixels over number of pixels.

I am almost certainly on the minority, but I think the jump from PS4 to PS5 looks more impressive than the jump from PS3 to PS4?

Though I think this is because the launch titles and trailers for the PS4 and Xbox One did a very bad job of showcasing what the systems could do compared to their predecessors. Or I might be misremembering