By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 8th Gen to 9th Gen: Visual Analysis Thread

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

I know you won't probably buy them (but when you get your PS5 perhaps you can try), Detroit Become Human and Death Stranding, look for their 4k videos and see if it doesn't impress you.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that there aren't games on PS4 and Xbone that look great, it's just that in previous generations there was always at least that one game that just left my jaw on the floor, be it Rogue Squadron II on the Gamecube, Gears of War on the 360, or Uncharted 2 on PS3.

Nothing quite approached that same level of "wow" for me in the current gen.

The UE5 demo kinda gave me that feeling, but that wasn't an actual game.

Hope ND can make it with TLOU2 =]

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
HollyGamer said:

The games are not remaster, it's a remake or reboot  with new graphic and new visual effect. It's actually an adaptation of the movie that adapted by the original Playstation 2 games. 

The graphic above are from PS4 pro it's still look bad compared to PS5 Ratchet and Clank

It's either the PS4 version or his material is bad and only his PS5 material is good. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCdr55c8sBg

That looks way better as in his video. 

But I already stated that I didn't realize this thread is only about visuals and not everything else which does play a role even in a reboot. 

Nope the videos are the same quality both from Youtube. You need to look at the clank reflection, textures, polygon count, smoothness of the geometry edges, shadow, lightning, foliage, world density, character, and the amount of particle effect.

It's simple. The games now look outdated.  It's still great looking games no doubt, but when you compared directly PS4 look like a a very cheap quality version of animated movie made on basement by student,  while PS5 Rachet are from pixar or Disney animated movie.  

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

I know you won't probably buy them (but when you get your PS5 perhaps you can try), Detroit Become Human and Death Stranding, look for their 4k videos and see if it doesn't impress you.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that there aren't games on PS4 and Xbone that look great, it's just that in previous generations there was always at least that one game that just left my jaw on the floor, be it Rogue Squadron II on the Gamecube, Gears of War on the 360, or Uncharted 2 on PS3.

Astrobot gave me that "wow" after already getting it from RE7 and Rez Infinite. PSVR had many jaw dropping games.

Flat games had plenty wow as well this gen, GT Sport night time in the rain on Tokyo with HDR is amazing, after DriveClub already had my jaw hitting the floor after the weather update. Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, Detroit become human, Spiderman, God of War, RDR2 and Death Stranding all stand out to me as amazing graphics wise. Killzone Shadowfall was also an excellent launch title and the Order 1886 screenshot heaven.

Gears of War on the 360 was indeed also a wow factor, albeit influenced by being the first game I played on my brand new $4.5K 52" 1080p tv end 2006. Uncharted 2 has a smaller effect since I was already used to the tv and while the train level was great it was also kinda low res. I was more impressed with the water level in Uncharted 3.

This gen has delivered plenty jaw dropping moments, more than I can remember from the 360/ps3/wii/wiiU generation. They were there last gen as well, Alan wake's storm sequence, Ratchet and Clank, Windwaker HD, Beyond 2 souls, Halo 4.

Anyway, I've watched some 4K footage now on my 1080p ips screen (buffering buffering ugh) and it looks very good down sampled to 1080p, big difference with this gen. I can't wait to see the leap to PSVR 2.

SvennoJ said:
curl-6 said:

Astrobot gave me that "wow" after already getting it from RE7 and Rez Infinite. PSVR had many jaw dropping games.

Flat games had plenty wow as well this gen, GT Sport night time in the rain on Tokyo with HDR is amazing, after DriveClub already had my jaw hitting the floor after the weather update. Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, Detroit become human, Spiderman, God of War, RDR2 and Death Stranding all stand out to me as amazing graphics wise. Killzone Shadowfall was also an excellent launch title and the Order 1886 screenshot heaven.

Gears of War on the 360 was indeed also a wow factor, albeit influenced by being the first game I played on my brand new $4.5K 52" 1080p tv end 2006. Uncharted 2 has a smaller effect since I was already used to the tv and while the train level was great it was also kinda low res. I was more impressed with the water level in Uncharted 3.

This gen has delivered plenty jaw dropping moments, more than I can remember from the 360/ps3/wii/wiiU generation. They were there last gen as well, Alan wake's storm sequence, Ratchet and Clank, Windwaker HD, Beyond 2 souls, Halo 4.

Anyway, I've watched some 4K footage now on my 1080p ips screen (buffering buffering ugh) and it looks very good down sampled to 1080p, big difference with this gen. I can't wait to see the leap to PSVR 2.

VR isn't for me, and while as I said plenty of games do look great on PS4/Xbone, my jaw never dropped in amazement like it did in prior generations.

I remember playing the nighttime rain level in Gears of War or being attacked by the helicopter across the rooftops in Nepal in Uncharted 2 and feeling like "holy shit, how can a video game look like this, it's like I'm playing something from the future."

Diminishing returns started to kick in for me with the current gen, where as good as it looked, the leap just didn't feel as big as past generational gaps. Looking at the games shown for PS5 and Xbox Series X so far, I'm getting that feeling once again. Still, it is early days.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 15 June 2020

HollyGamer said:
hinch said:

Also really interested to see how Kena looks on the PS4. Hoping we get a Digital Foundry comparison video in the near future for this.

The game looks gorgeous on the PS5

on original PS4 will probably 900p or 800p at 30 fps. With a lot of graphic downgrade like low texture, low shadow, polygon density, low draw distance, low particle effect (i assume),  Because most cross gen are like comparing games running with ultra graphic setting on high end PC with normal setting on mainstream and mid tier PC.

will run fine on ps4, considering death stranding looks better still. The water effects, vegetation and such looks like it sbeendone before. Also the trailer showed what looked like cgi, and then gameplay footage. You can tell the difference in detail between the cgi and gameplay. The cgi actually looks on par with ratchet and clank ps5. If the ps5 version played like the cgi level quality, i would be floored. Still though, it gives me breath of the wild vibes.

Last edited by KratosLives - on 15 June 2020

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
S.Peelman said:

Sorry but this isn't very convincing, and proves the view of those claiming the graphical jump isn't impressive more than it counters it. Unless that was your point, I'm not exactly keeping up with who's who here. There is 'an' improvement from PS4 to PS5 sure, but it's absolutely tiny. For all intents and purposes, especially if you consider you won't see a moving image the same amount of time as you're looking at a still here, those images look the same. The difference from PS3 to PS4 is much more noticeable at a glance. Obviously the difference from PS2 to PS3 is huge, though I suspect PS2's image isn't really the most flattering to pick. If you need a magnifying glass to spot the improvements I don't feel it's fair to boast about a graphical evolution. But I get it, the console maker's PR is their life, that's all fine.

Have you watch the comparison Video ?

(video)

Watch first on 4k and then continue our discussion. Also Digital foundry said the graphic on this games surpass even the CG animated movie  

The graphic jump is staggering even bigger then PS3 to PS4, it's not just resolution . So many happen on the screen. That's not even talk about AI , physics, instant level transition. That's crazy huge 

If I need to watch a video on 4k with my face pressed against the screen to begin to see the difference, then that’s my point; I need a ‘magnifying glass’. While you can immediately see the difference between PS2 and PS3 even if you watched a video on 240p in black and white half the room away. Moreover, I’d say that video is an unfair comparison because it’s not comparing the same kind of scenes; different environments and different times of day causing different lighting, meaning there’s too much ‘buts’ already in this video. It’s not like the PS4 can’t produce a yellowish dusk-like hue, a time of day that always makes a scene look better by default, for example. Again I’m sure there’s a lot going on under the hood making things more efficient, but I only care (and ‘see’), and with me probably 90 percent of the people, about the end result. And it’s just very close together, the improvement is minimal, and I’m not really impressed. We would have the exact same conversation if we talked about the Horizon Forbidden West footage as well.

Note, I do have to say that I find this expectable, understandable and acceptable however, considering how far we’ve already gotten with videogame graphics. Graphical advancements are in the smallest details now, and they will be, until we invent the Holodeck.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 15 June 2020

S.Peelman said:
HollyGamer said:

Have you watch the comparison Video ?

(video)

Watch first on 4k and then continue our discussion. Also Digital foundry said the graphic on this games surpass even the CG animated movie  

The graphic jump is staggering even bigger then PS3 to PS4, it's not just resolution . So many happen on the screen. That's not even talk about AI , physics, instant level transition. That's crazy huge 

If I need to watch a video on 4k with my face pressed against the screen to begin to see the difference, then that’s my point; I need a ‘magnifying glass’. While you can immediately see the difference between PS2 and PS3 even if you watched a video on 240p in black and white half the room away. Moreover, I’d say that video is an unfair comparison because it’s not comparing the same kind of scenes; different environments and different times of day causing different lighting, meaning there’s too much ‘buts’ already in this video. It’s not like the PS4 can’t produce a yellowish dusk-like hue for example. Again I’m sure there’s a lot going on under the hood making things more efficient, but I only care (and ‘see’), and with me probably 90 percent of the people, about the end result. And it’s just very close together, the improvement is minimal, and I’m not really impressed. We would have the exact same conversation if we talked about the Horizon Forbidden West footage as well.

Note, I do have to say that I find this understandable and acceptable however, considering how far we’ve already gotten with videogame graphics. Graphical advancements are in the smallest details now, and they will be, until we invent the Holodeck.

It's a  matter of perception,while you do not see a lot of change others will see tons so what we are able to see can be very different.

Hynad said:

I don't see the effect of diminishing return yet. We hear about it every new generations. But I always notice the leap from one gen to the other.

I like to use the grass strands example.
Gen 5: no strands, grass is only a pixelated/muddy texture.
Gen 6: patches of grass or bushes scattered here and there but mostly flat ground with grass texture.
Gen 7: Higher res textures with individual grass strands, but those are big and overgrown.
Gen 8: Smaller individual strands, more realistic for sure, but still bigger than they should. Effect still makes the games look more realistic.
Gen 9: proper sized individual strands, so A LOT more of them are used to cover the actual landscape. Making the games look much more realistic.

Now that's just using grass as an example. But this kind of increase in graphical fidelity is pretty much like that in most if not every aspects of the graphics.

Then you factor in the lighting that keeps on getting better gen over gen. The effect being that graphics are now very, very close to look as good as pre-rendered visuals. I can understand if people don't notice all the details that are improved, or aren't as impressed by them as some others (myself included) are. But there is no denying there's a leap between gen 8 and 9 visuals. The generational gap is clearly there. Sure it's all in the details, but that's always been this way. The details are simply getting smaller than when 3D graphics were still in their infancy. Those tiny details may not be much in isolation, but the screen is filled with those, so to my eyes there's one heck of an improvement over the 8th gen visuals.

Aren’t you contradicting yourself though? In one gen you go from having no grass at all, to having grass. Then later you go from having detailed grass to a bit more detailed grass. All the while the power jump in the newer generation is a thousand times larger than that of the older generation. Seems like you relatively get less visibly noticeable result per MHz of extra processing power.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 15 June 2020

Immersiveunreality said:
S.Peelman said:

If I need to watch a video on 4k with my face pressed against the screen to begin to see the difference, then that’s my point; I need a ‘magnifying glass’. While you can immediately see the difference between PS2 and PS3 even if you watched a video on 240p in black and white half the room away. Moreover, I’d say that video is an unfair comparison because it’s not comparing the same kind of scenes; different environments and different times of day causing different lighting, meaning there’s too much ‘buts’ already in this video. It’s not like the PS4 can’t produce a yellowish dusk-like hue for example. Again I’m sure there’s a lot going on under the hood making things more efficient, but I only care (and ‘see’), and with me probably 90 percent of the people, about the end result. And it’s just very close together, the improvement is minimal, and I’m not really impressed. We would have the exact same conversation if we talked about the Horizon Forbidden West footage as well.

Note, I do have to say that I find this understandable and acceptable however, considering how far we’ve already gotten with videogame graphics. Graphical advancements are in the smallest details now, and they will be, until we invent the Holodeck.

It's a  matter of perception,while you do not see a lot of change others will see tons so what we are able to see can be very different.

True, there is a case of different interests between different people. I can fully understand how CGI for example, to name one of the celebs here, can really delve into pictures and comparisons like these to pick them apart and point out every advancement. I couldn’t, but that’s where someone like him comes in handy; I still find it interesting to look at the pictures and read about these things and what progress is made gen over gen regardless.

CGI-Quality said:
Trumpstyle said:

I also agrees with most folks, the DR is real. But I was expecting this, that most games will look like Star wars Battlefront 2 on max graphics with 4k resolution on PC.

Nope

If we look at god of war which is probably the best looking game this gen

Nope

there's simply not much improvement you can make

Nope (we hear this every gen)

mostly just higher res textures as the games textures are abit low, 60fps at 1440p and better view distancing (just way to much fog) and make Freyas hair look better. More than this you simply not gonna notice.

No again.

More improvements game devs can make is to get rid of all the blurs (Bookah, depth of field, motion blur) as this just ruins the game. I also think there can be some improvements in AA too.

None of those features ruin a game.

Mine.

CG what do you think is the best looking game this gen?