By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 8th Gen to 9th Gen: Visual Analysis Thread

CGI-Quality said:
Leynos said:
Marginal at best and that's assuming these trailers and such are honest.

Considering the monstrous jump in hardware, nothing shown was so spectacular that it couldn't be done on said machine and it wasn't marginal either (particularly something like the shifting world of Ratchet).

gif

Could not have been done on any current gen console in that fashion. 

The shifting worlds was definitely a great part. The thing is, when I look at the DF video from 2016 in which they have shown R&C on PS4 Pro and compare it with this Gif then this does definitely look better, have more particles, better lighting, textures and so on but the video from 2016 still looks good to me. Not sure if I found games from 2009 still good looking after I saw Ryse or Killzone Shadowfall. 

I would really love to see a new GTA and how that would profit from the better tech but well...

Around the Network

8th gen:

9th gen: 

We can see an impressive depth of field effect in the 9th generation and if we examine the screenshots closely, we also notice that the rough polygonal edges in the character model are gone. Beyond that, the lighting is improved and the additional processing power allows for more detailed facial expressions.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

RolStoppable said:

8th gen:

9th gen: 

We can see an impressive depth of field effect in the 9th generation and if we examine the screenshots closely, we also notice that the rough polygonal edges in the character model are gone. Beyond that, the lighting is improved and the additional processing power allows for more detailed facial expressions.

just imagine next next gen

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 13 June 2020

Tbh, comparatively I'm more impressed with this next gen reveal than I was at time the of the PS4 reveal

Thanks CGI, as always you pick great screen captures that show the jump for anyone less attentive to details would miss on the video. Even if on video it really is even more impressive overall.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

After you said so many times even after the UE5 demo that we haven't seen ANYTHING yet, I honestly expected more than what was on show here. Not that some of the games shown weren't very pretty - I actually was very partial to Kena in particular - but there wasn't anything that gave me that "holy shit" moment.

So far I'm liking what I'm seeing.

There's noting revolutionary or that wasn't possible on PC, but I had my expectations in line.

Given that, we are seeing / going to see:

1. Better native (framebuffer) resolution;
  2. Thanks to ray tracing shadows and lighting tends to be much more realistic;
  3. The fast SSD is going to cut drastically loading times and open a couple to new gameplay possibilities;
  4. CPUs are good enough to make 60 FPS a reality (with proper compromisses on both resolution and ray tracing).

Although, I would prefer slightly weaker hardware (GPU and CPU) but with better ray tracing capabilities, the hardware of the new generation of consoles seems to be very well balanced, which wasn't the case in the last couple of generations by the way.  

My only real concern right now is with pricing, releasing expensive consoles in the middle of a global crises isn't going to be easy.

RolStoppable said:

8th gen:

nonsense

9th gen: 

nonsense

Best post of the thread!

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 14 June 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Horizon 2 looked the most next gen to me. The 4K trailer made a bigger difference than I thought it would though.

CGI-Quality said:
trunkswd said:

I guess you've hyped it up more than Sony or Microsoft. You are our CGI guy  

Honestly, it is hard not being able to share more or convey just the strict science of it, but I do what I do because I love it and watching a formula come to life is really why. I can't fault folks for missing the jumps many of the tech people see, because yes, we'll never quite be at a PS1-PS2/PS2-PS3 situation again. But, there is still so much work to be done and the kind of worlds that are going to be rendered this time around won't simply be a visual jump and little else.

Just remember this word: D E N S I T Y

When you say "the science behind it" I do remember the devs explaining what they done in The Order and just thought "I had no idea devs knew these much about advance physics and what not".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."