By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony prioritizing US audience for PS5 reveal because Japan is losing interest

Tagged games:

What do you think

people already know this 37 48.05%

I don't believe what he said 8 10.39%

There is still hope for Japanese market 13 16.88%

It's not relevant does no... 14 18.18%

Banzai Nippon 5 6.49%

Total:77
padib said:
hinch said:

Well since they don't have PSVita competing for the lions share as well. Sales for Switch will be up as it is a combination device (home console and portable). I would just say it will be a small decline from last gen as it seems to be trending.

Also don't forget that we might have more SE games which can push console numbers up since they've mostly switched to UE4/5 for game development.

Could be, but gamers found a home for DQ in Nintendo consoles. In general, I haven't seen FF really make a big difference in the success of PS in japan like it once did.

I personally wouldn't bet too much on SE. Rather if I were Sony, I would get MH exclusive again, among other franchises that are popular in Japan.

MonHun did a lot for PS4 in Japan and for a while I thought PS4 might finally look better than PS3. But the boost was temporary. But the MonHun boost clearly shows what the PS5 needs to be a more successful console in the japanese market: more of the japanese game franchises.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
hinch said:

Uh Wii U sales were like 3.3m in 2016 and they stopped tracking.

Other strictly home consoles were/and are in a decline in Japan.

Look at sales figures before calling out people for nonsense.

What he says is that the handheld thing is not sufficient as an explanation for the japanese market. That the WiiU was an unappealing console for many doesn't change the comparison between Switch Lite and OG Switch.

In other words, the person accusing others of using a straw man, was actually using a straw man (Wii U sales), in a thinly veiled attempt to start another straw man argument (why Switch shouldn't be considered a console).

Then he advises others to look at the hard facts, but not the fact that Switch is priced like a console, plays console games, or that the console version of Switch is still outselling the Lite version in Japan each week. Just ignore those facts.

He could have at least tried looking at data. I mean it was literally posted by myself, Noshten and Shadow. Also where did I say Switch is not a home console? Its a hybrid. Of course it is one, also happens to also be portable.

Look at trends, make an evaluation. Instead of attacking people. Its obvious that portables are more popular in Japan than home consoles. It has been for years.

Last edited by hinch - on 11 June 2020

Mnementh said:
hinch said:

Uh Wii U sales were like 3.3m in 2016 and they stopped tracking.

Other strictly home consoles were/and are in a decline in Japan.

Look at sales figures before calling out people for nonsense.

What he says is that the handheld thing is not sufficient as an explanation for the japanese market. That the WiiU was an unappealing console for many doesn't change the comparison between Switch Lite and OG Switch.

Its not hard to see. Sales are falling for software and hardware on all home consoles. Refer to upper posts with hardware sales. Also software sales on Famistu.

hinch said:
Eagle367 said:

Dude,.... Mate,...... Where did the Wii u sell well? If you wanna sound credible, don't use Wii u as a standard for sales. It just wasn't appealing while switch is so damn appealing

Google is your friend :P

I have no idea. But it does support my theory no? How about we look at hard facts and statistics before we straw man.

So I'm guessing you're supportive of the theory that Japan doesn't like handheld consoles anymore because Vita sold terribly there?

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Then make a PSP3 to sell there.

5.92m Vita's sold in Japan over an 8 year span compared to 24.61m 3DS over same time frame says unlikely.

TruckOSaurus said:
hinch said:

I have no idea. But it does support my theory no? How about we look at hard facts and statistics before we straw man.

So I'm guessing you're supportive of the theory that Japan doesn't like handheld consoles anymore because Vita sold terribly there?

Comparing worldwide sales against Japanese sales we see that the relative sucess of PSVita in Japan shows that handheld is much more relevant there than in other places.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

TruckOSaurus said:
hinch said:

PSVita sold 5.92m in Japan.. which to be fair isn't great but considering that its a handheld and that figure makes up more that a third of overall sales.... relatively that is quite impressive especially when it was against the monster that was the 3DS.

Come on Truck, I expect better from you. This is a forum where we discuss sales no?

hinch said:
TruckOSaurus said:

PSVita sold 5.92m in Japan.. which to be fair isn't great but considering that that makes up more that a third of overall sales.... that is impressive from one country.

Come on Truck, I expect better from you. This is a forum where we discuss sales no?

My point is that you can't say Wii U is indicative of anything when considering home console sales trends. Like Vita, Wii U had many faults that made it an unappealing product.

Signature goes here!

True, I admit it was low blow. Maybe the WiiU would have fared better if it had more appealing to the Japanese audience. Like third party support on major releases from SE and Capcom. Who knows, can just theorize based on figures/data of the past and present.

Games like Pokemon sell like crazy there, so maybe its the franchises that sells hardware in Japan.