By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony prioritizing US audience for PS5 reveal because Japan is losing interest

Tagged games:

What do you think

people already know this 36 47.37%

I don't believe what he said 8 10.53%

There is still hope for Japanese market 13 17.11%

It's not relevant does no... 14 18.42%

Banzai Nippon 5 6.58%

Total:76

Yeah... I don't fully agree with this.

I mean, it's true that Sony presence in Japan has been waning and becoming smaller every gen(even if the 8th gen is going to do about the same as the 7th gen), but the reason why Sony is not doing as well there as it used to do is simply because it hasn't adapted its hardware well enough to Japan evolving tastes.

I mean, just look at the Switch. It will surely pass 20 million units sold there, and has a real shot at reaching 30 million. And is a gaming console as any that have been ever produced, either by Sony or by Nintendo. Just because mobile is doing better, dosen't mean the classic gaming experience can't grown on it's own terms.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
hinch said:
Pyro as Bill said:
The narrative over the past few years of 'Sony abandoned HH and Nintendo abandoned home consoles which brought balance to the Force and made everyone happy' is powerful but false.

The OG/Lite split proves that Japanese gamers would rather have the model that hooks up to the TV and if they were the same price, the split would favour the OG even more.

Until now, it's generally been accepted that nothing could beat a Nintendo handheld, especially in Japan. And yet even though it's $100 cheaper, more portable with longer battery life and has the exact same games, the Lite is getting it's arse kicked.

Uh Wii U sales were like 3.3m in 2016 and they stopped tracking.

Other strictly home consoles were/and are in a decline in Japan.

Look at sales figures before calling out people for nonsense.

Why are Japanese gamers choosing the WiiU version of Switch over the 3DS version even though it's cheaper, smaller and has better battery life?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Eagle367 said:
hinch said:

Dude,.... Mate,...... Where did the Wii u sell well? If you wanna sound credible, don't use Wii u as a standard for sales. It just wasn't appealing while switch is so damn appealing

Google is your friend :P

I have no idea. But it does support my theory no? How about we look at hard facts and statistics before we straw man.

hinch said:
Jranation said:

According to famitsu PS4 LTD sales is at 9.1mil where did you get 9.8? 

Statista. Yeah, I think they were off.

Yeah its 9.12m from Famitsu.

oh okay. At first I thought Famitsu didnt combine a specific PS4 SKU or from a certain retail outlet. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

hinch said:
Eagle367 said:

Dude,.... Mate,...... Where did the Wii u sell well? If you wanna sound credible, don't use Wii u as a standard for sales. It just wasn't appealing while switch is so damn appealing

Google is your friend :P

I have no idea. But it does support my theory no? How about we look at hard facts and statistics before we straw man.

I never asked for the validity of stats. I just said the Wii U is not a good barometer.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
hinch said:
Pyro as Bill said:
The narrative over the past few years of 'Sony abandoned HH and Nintendo abandoned home consoles which brought balance to the Force and made everyone happy' is powerful but false.

The OG/Lite split proves that Japanese gamers would rather have the model that hooks up to the TV and if they were the same price, the split would favour the OG even more.

Until now, it's generally been accepted that nothing could beat a Nintendo handheld, especially in Japan. And yet even though it's $100 cheaper, more portable with longer battery life and has the exact same games, the Lite is getting it's arse kicked.

What he says is that the handheld thing is not sufficient as an explanation for the japanese market. That the WiiU was an unappealing console for many doesn't change the comparison between Switch Lite and OG Switch.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

padib said:
hinch said:

Well since they don't have PSVita competing for the lions share as well. Sales for Switch will be up as it is a combination device (home console and portable). I would just say it will be a small decline from last gen as it seems to be trending.

Also don't forget that we might have more SE games which can push console numbers up since they've mostly switched to UE4/5 for game development.

Could be, but gamers found a home for DQ in Nintendo consoles. In general, I haven't seen FF really make a big difference in the success of PS in japan like it once did.

I personally wouldn't bet too much on SE. Rather if I were Sony, I would get MH exclusive again, among other franchises that are popular in Japan.

MonHun did a lot for PS4 in Japan and for a while I thought PS4 might finally look better than PS3. But the boost was temporary. But the MonHun boost clearly shows what the PS5 needs to be a more successful console in the japanese market: more of the japanese game franchises.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
hinch said:

What he says is that the handheld thing is not sufficient as an explanation for the japanese market. That the WiiU was an unappealing console for many doesn't change the comparison between Switch Lite and OG Switch.

In other words, the person accusing others of using a straw man, was actually using a straw man (Wii U sales), in a thinly veiled attempt to start another straw man argument (why Switch shouldn't be considered a console).

Then he advises others to look at the hard facts, but not the fact that Switch is priced like a console, plays console games, or that the console version of Switch is still outselling the Lite version in Japan each week. Just ignore those facts.

He could have at least tried looking at data. I mean it was literally posted by myself, Noshten and Shadow. Also where did I say Switch is not a home console? Its a hybrid. Of course it is one, also happens to also be portable.

Look at trends, make an evaluation. Instead of attacking people. Its obvious that portables are more popular in Japan than home consoles. It has been for years.

Last edited by hinch - on 11 June 2020

Mnementh said:
hinch said:

Its not hard to see. Sales are falling for software and hardware on all home consoles. Refer to upper posts with hardware sales. Also software sales on Famistu.