By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Before The Switch Launched, What was your sales prediction for the Switch?

Sales Prediction BEFORE Switch Launched:

<13Million 0 0%

13-25M 3 3.95%

25-40M 7 9.21%

40-60M 14 18.42%

60-80M 22 28.95%

80-100M 15 19.74%

100M+ 15 19.74%

Total:76

80m as the portable market alone would guarantee that.

Around the Network

No idea actually. But before the launch we already saw videos from Zelda BotW and all journalist were extremely positive about it. And me and a lot of people with them.
So after the wii u debacle, where every gamer knew (after seeing the first commercial) that it would flop, I don't think there were a lot of people that thought the Switch would be a disaster. So, I would say 60 million would have been my guess, so I voted 60.-80.

40M, half of which, so 20M, in Japan. I figured it would be as successful there as any Nintendo portable, but wouldn’t catch on much in the west, due to it’s hybrid concept. I was wrong, the part about the west anyway.

>3DS+Wii U is all I expected since Nintendo decided to replace them both.

So 86m+, which happens to also outsell the 360, PSP and PS3.

Yeah no offense but I feel like the majority of posts and votes here are made with hindsight, rather than how people honestly felt at the time.

Back in 2016/pre-launch 2017, the majority of forum-going gamers thought it would fail and the few who dared to suggest it would pull the kind of numbers in the most popular poll answers here were seen as delusional.

Just look at the prediction threads we had here, (does anyone have a link?) most people voted under 40 million if I recall correctly.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 June 2020

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Yeah no offense but I feel like the majority of posts and votes here are made with hindsight, rather than how people honestly felt at the time.

Back in 2016/pre-launch 2017, the majority of forum-going gamers thought it would fail and the few who dared to suggest it would pull the kind of numbers in the most popular poll answers were seen as delusional.

Just look at the prediction threads we had here, (does anyone have a link?) most people voted under 40 million if I recall correctly.

I feel the exact same way as well, i feel like some people here are letting the Switch's current high sales affect their answer abouthabout they truly felt about the system in 2016. I doubt THIS many people thought the Switch would really sell as well as it did after Nintendo just came off the disaster of the Wii U. No way this many people back in 2016 actually believed this would sell 100m units plus, very little people had much faith on Nintendo at the time.

If I recall, I was being cautiously optimistic about the Switch at the time because their handhelds typically sell well, but home consoles have been hit or miss in terms of sales. I don't remember the exact number, but I think it was somewhere around 60 million.

Edit: Turns out I expected Wii U-like sales in a poll. I forgot why I chose that, though. 

Last edited by Mr.GameCrazy - on 08 June 2020

I expected 20-30 million, but now I’m at 75-90.

mM

Even during the endless year and a half of wild rumors and speculation about NX, many of which correctly predicted it would be a hybrid, I had guessed that if those rumors were true (which they were) that it would sell pretty well. As soon as I saw the reveal trailer in October 2017, I KNEW it would succeed! I had 80-100 million locked in. Even ignoring everything else, I knew that the Switch was the successor for the 3DS, Wii U, and Vita right from the start. So I knew at the very least that 80 million was the minimum because I considered that a respectable portion of 3DS and Wii U owners overlapped. I was rolling my eyes and shaking my head at the most pessimistic predictions even back then. I knew it would do well and there was nothing to worry about...

...But even I didn't think it'd be capable of THIS!

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 07 June 2020

NightlyPoe said:
leo-j said:
I expected 20-30 million, but now I’m at 75-90.

You think there's any possibility of it only selling another 17.5 million units?

I think it is unlikely to only hit 75 M. But I am weary of nintendo. They dropped the wii hard once it approached 100 million. Also idk how the switch is going to be affected by the game streaming market with the new nexgen platforms. If the switch 4k or super switch is counted as a separate entity, 80-90 million is my guesstimate. If the super switch is the same as ps4 pro, and not 3ds to ds, then i’m being super conservative.

mM