By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Before The Switch Launched, What was your sales prediction for the Switch?

Sales Prediction BEFORE Switch Launched:

<13Million 0 0%

13-25M 3 3.95%

25-40M 7 9.21%

40-60M 14 18.42%

60-80M 22 28.95%

80-100M 15 19.74%

100M+ 15 19.74%

Total:76

I was initially sceptical about the Switch. But in early 2017 (either shortly before or after the launch), when some people said the "highly optimistic" target for Nintendo would be to sell as much as Wii U + 3DS combined, I argued Nintendo should instead aim at DS level sales (150m units) and I remember multiple posters arguing against me when I cited business books to prove the Switch had the potential to achieve that goal. I still stand by that prediction: If Nintendo focuses on a mainstream audience and produces high quality games for the mass market they can sell 150m+ Switch units.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
>3DS+Wii U is all I expected since Nintendo decided to replace them both.

So 86m+, which happens to also outsell the 360, PSP and PS3.

The whole 3DS + Wii U comparisons is just doesnt make sense to me. Like I have 2 3DS and 1 Wii U = 3. While I have 1 Switch = 1. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

I called the wiiu a flop before it flopped and started the idea of the switch outselling anything in my generation prediction thread

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

So, I went over some of my old posts and couldn't find a concrete 150m prediction before launch. However, in this thread from May 2017 I argued the Switch would sell very well to women once the right software hit the market and said the Switch would sell more than the Wii. In February I said people who doubted the Switch would sell more than 20m units lived in fantasy land. And in February 2017 I said it was "entirely possible" for the Switch to outsell the Wii if Nintendo played their cards right. In general, right from the start I argued Nintendo should focus on the mass market, needed women to buy the system and had the potential to beat the Wii. So I feel pretty good about this  I also said 1-2-Switch and Labo didn't look like mass market smash hits to me, which I also feel pretty good about

Jranation said:
Farsala said:
>3DS+Wii U is all I expected since Nintendo decided to replace them both.

So 86m+, which happens to also outsell the 360, PSP and PS3.

The whole 3DS + Wii U comparisons is just doesnt make sense to me. Like I have 2 3DS and 1 Wii U = 3. While I have 1 Switch = 1. 

Yeah but there can be an equal amount of people that bought 1 3DS for a whole family or 1 Wii U to succeed their Wii and instead got 2 switches for whatever reason. Personal anecdotes don't really mean much to me. All consoles have multiple ownership.

The 3DS+ Wii U comparison is simply because Nintendo decided the Switch was a hybrid.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Jranation said:

Yeah but there can be an equal amount of people that bought 1 3DS for a whole family or 1 Wii U to succeed their Wii and instead got 2 switches for whatever reason. Personal anecdotes don't really mean much to me. All consoles have multiple ownership.

The 3DS+ Wii U comparison is simply because Nintendo decided the Switch was a hybrid.

You missed his point he has a 3DS and a WiiU which a significant number of people would also do, that's 2 units while that same consumer this time round would only get 1 Switch so if even half the WiiU owners had a 3DS that would mean 7m consumers who would only buy one unit of hardware this time round instead of the same group of consumers generating 14m last time.

RolStoppable said:

I looked at that "Kimishima expects Switch sales to reach Wii levels" thread to see if I had posted in it and I am proud of my findings:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8290247

RolStoppable said:

Well said, spemanig.

We do know a lot of things about the Switch. This is the time to be confident in the system. The few VGC members who recognize the Switch's potential and provide sound reasoning for its imminent success will join an elite club that will be hailed as prophets for years to come.

That's a nice find, indeed! The crazy thing is I remember both of us arguing almost the same things back in 2007 when the Wii had just launched. 

RolStoppable said:

I looked at that "Kimishima expects Switch sales to reach Wii levels" thread to see if I had posted in it and I am proud of my findings:

You actually predicted more than 100M in my thread (in January 2017), something that holds up pretty well today:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8247626

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Wyrdness said:
Farsala said:

You missed his point he has a 3DS and a WiiU which a significant number of people would also do, that's 2 units while that same consumer this time round would only get 1 Switch so if even half the WiiU owners had a 3DS that would mean 7m consumers who would only buy one unit of hardware this time round instead of the same group of consumers generating 14m last time.

Again I don't really care about the personal anecdotes. Sure there are people out there with 2 3DS and a Wii U and only 1 Switch. There are also people out there with 5 3DS, 2 Wii Us and 1 Switch. But the reverse is true too. My friend has 2 Switch 0 3DS and a Wii U.

It doesn't really matter to me, because it could never be measured.

The 3DS+ Wii U= Switch comparison, does not literally mean that I expect each consumer of 3DS and Wii U to buy a Switch. A Switch owner is a Switch owner, and that is that.

It is just an arbitrary number that I expected the Switch to beat, and that is all.

Mnementh said:

I made a poll asking for the sales back in january 2017. More than half of voters expected less than 50%. Less than 10% of voters choose '>100M'.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=224679

I myself was expecting 50M.

Wow. I can't believe I chose 10-20 million lifetime in the poll. I don't remember why I chose that one. Maybe I was basing it on Wii U sales? Or I chose that hoping to be wrong about the prediction? Either way, I'm glad the Switch doing great!