Forums - Sales Discussion - May NPD 2020: Switch ~530K; PS4/XBO >150K

trunkswd said:
Ryng said:

Since Switch is probabily over 400K, it's been 3 months in a row Switch avg for weekly sales is over 100K. I'm sure this is going to continue at least for June too, June is always a better month than May. (Also Switch had shortages this month)

I'm the first one surprised by that btw, wasn't expecting May to be this big yet here we go again. We are living in 2008.

We are a bit low even for the lower possible range. I was using information from Benji to help with US figures for May, and he ended up being too low. I am gonna do some minor adjustments, so we are a tiny bit above 400,000 for May. 

I'm not even sure this is the right place to talk about it, but i'd like to see a different kind of VGChartz.

I used to get mad at those numbers for how "wrong" they were back in the day and still are, now i'm better than this, and i don't really care, though i must say i love what you guys did for software.

A collection of official numbers from every kind of source, so whenever someone is curios about the numbers, example someone wonder how much The Witcher 3 has sold, can go to VGChartz and maybe he can see the accurate numbers.

Just wonder, don't you think that could be the way for hardware too? For example last month we got concrete numbers from Pachter, those numbers would have been in the main page as "last update for USA numbers".

Maybe not only official numbers but also the range we can get from the ERA predictions, example we can know that in a month Switch has sold between 250k and 300k, or that PS4 is under 180k ecc

There would also be update for Japan numbers every weeks (that's an easy one), and for other markets like EU and the rest of the world, those update would be more rare but we surely get it some times.

And maybe a worldwide thing in general, using official numbers from Sony and Nintendo, while Microsoft... eh we'll think about something for this one.

In general, what i'm saying, i think i would love to have VGChartz as an encyclopedia of official numbers (some times leaks) for hardware and software, instead of having those estimate with a way too high margin of error...

Those numbers you guys get from VGChartz could still be used as a way to make predictions, kinda like Benji does for the numbers he get from his work.

I'd really love talk about that, if not now in the future (cause i'm kinda busy today lol).

2020 predictions: NSW 25m, PS5 6m, XSX 4.5m, PS4 11m, XB1 4m

In December 2019 i predicted 21m Switch, 9m PS4 and 3m XB1, but that was before COVID, obvius increased my predictions.

Around the Network
Ryng said:
trunkswd said:

We are a bit low even for the lower possible range. I was using information from Benji to help with US figures for May, and he ended up being too low. I am gonna do some minor adjustments, so we are a tiny bit above 400,000 for May. 

I'm not even sure this is the right place to talk about it, but i'd like to see a different kind of VGChartz.

I used to get mad at those numbers for how "wrong" they were back in the day and still are, now i'm better than this, and i don't really care, though i must say i love what you guys did for software.

A collection of official numbers from every kind of source, so whenever someone is curios about the numbers, example someone wonder how much The Witcher 3 has sold, can go to VGChartz and maybe he can see the accurate numbers.

Just wonder, don't you think that could be the way for hardware too? For example last month we got concrete numbers from Pachter, those numbers would have been in the main page as "last update for USA numbers".

Maybe not only official numbers but also the range we can get from the ERA predictions, example we can know that in a month Switch has sold between 250k and 300k, or that PS4 is under 180k ecc

There would also be update for Japan numbers every weeks (that's an easy one), and for other markets like EU and the rest of the world, those update would be more rare but we surely get it some times.

And maybe a worldwide thing in general, using official numbers from Sony and Nintendo, while Microsoft... eh we'll think about something for this one.

In general, what i'm saying, i think i would love to have VGChartz as an encyclopedia of official numbers (some times leaks) for hardware and software, instead of having those estimate with a way too high margin of error...

Those numbers you guys get from VGChartz could still be used as a way to make predictions, kinda like Benji does for the numbers he get from his work.

I'd really love talk about that, if not now in the future (cause i'm kinda busy today lol).

We kind of do that already. We report on all official hardware figures and after that make adjustments. When we do the weekly breakdown of the Japanese sales we report on the software AND hardware figures. Here is our report on Famitsu from this week. We have plans for a much more in-depth hardware page where you can easily view all of our hardware estimates. Weekly, monthly and yearly, from a range of regions. Worldwide, US, UK, Japan, etc. 

Now that the boss has handed over the reigns of the site to the rest of the staff we are open about how our hardware figures are estimates and that we make adjustments based on official sources like NPD and Famitsu. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I've adjusted our Switch sales for May up slightly to 435,027 units. I'll wait until we get more information before making more adjustments. I haven't touched our PS4 or Xbox One figures.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Wow this is absolutely insane to me. May was an incredibly slow month for video game news and i really thought the momentum for the switch went down. Apparently not so much eh. The Switch is still out of stock on amazon in Canada and has been since AC came out.

There is no way at this point 2020 isn't the peak year and i think the switch can shoot in a 20.5/21 millions this year. The lite launch and Pokemon SS won't stop this since the lite didn't even have much impact on sales later on last year and i think a good BF deal can match Pokemon's release.

The new gen will be hella expensive so they won't compete for the same audience no more.

Anyway, incredible performance.

TruckOSaurus said:
I think we can definitely say 2020 will be Switch's peak year and that Nintendo's forecast numbers will have to be adjusted up in their next report.

Hold your horses. Don't write off 2021 so soon.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network

Never thought I'd see a Zelda game outpace pokemon, but I'm happy to see it. Hopefully it convinces Nintendo to put more ambition into the next Pokemon entry.

RolStoppable said:
TruckOSaurus said:
I think we can definitely say 2020 will be Switch's peak year and that Nintendo's forecast numbers will have to be adjusted up in their next report.

I guess it could happen.. but stuff definately have to allign for that to happen. We could very well see 25M year this year and that's just hard to beat..

Mbolibombo said:
RolStoppable said:

I guess it could happen.. but stuff definately have to allign for that to happen. We could very well see 25M year this year and that's just hard to beat..

It’s entirely possible that this year lineup will be affected and pushed to 2021, which mean a strong and consistent release schedule.

Dat growth in software and hardware spending compared to last year

Switch continues utterly slaying

I wish we could know XC: DE numbers.

TruckOSaurus said:

Not so fast.

After all, that's what everybody thought and said about last year, too...