By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - May NPD 2020: Switch ~530K; PS4/XBO >150K

Shadow1980 said:
mk7sx said:

Does anyone have the PS2 and DS 2005 and 2006 monthly NPD numbers?

I have scavenged a couple of months, but mostly cannot find them on here or GAF or through articles.

I got the hook up for you, bro.

Edit: Hmm. Didn't format correctly. Bear with me a bit. Well, I can't seem to get the table to be a more reasonable width, so I just combined the two and added 2006 figures for the PS2.

PS2 NDS
Jan. 2005 490 152
Feb. 538 135.8
March 492 137.4
April 332 62
May 273 59
June 355 112
July 260 82
Aug. 253 100
Sept. 268 164
Oct. 252 136
Nov. 535 370
Dec. 1477 1070
Jan. 2006 272 158
Feb. 299 150
March 273 184
April 205 140
May 232 147
June 312 593
July 241 377
Aug. 262 278
Sept. 306 403.4
Oct. 235 360
Nov. 664 918
Dec. 1400 1598.6

Thank you very much!

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Shadow1980 said:

I got the hook up for you, bro.

Edit: Hmm. Didn't format correctly. Bear with me a bit.

PS2
Jan. 2005 490
Feb. 538
March 492
April 332
May 273
June 355
July 260
Aug. 253
Sept. 268
Oct. 252
Nov. 535
Dec. 1477

NDS
2005 152
2006 158

Wow, those pre-lite DS numbers are atrocious, , especially March/April 2005, where it only did low XBO, even almost Wii U numbers. Really didn't think it would have done that bad at the time

Ds became stronger with New Super Mario Bros. The Great seller for the big portable. 

Shadow1980 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Wow, those pre-lite DS numbers are atrocious, , especially March/April 2005, where it only did low XBO, even almost Wii U numbers. Really didn't think it would have done that bad at the time

Yeah. The DS did relatively poorly prior to the release of the Lite. To compare it to other Nintendo handhelds plus the Switch:

Overall, it sold only 2.58M in all of 2005. Meanwhile, the GBA sold 4.75M in 2001, the 3DS sold 4.11M in 2011, and the Switch sold 4.89M in 2017.

Wonder what kind of numbers Switch will do this December. I'm sure it'll be up YOY

2.04 million sold in 2019, maybe 2.5-3 million in 2020? Though the 3.31 million of DS looks unreachable

this is the only place those numbers are available on the internet, vgc used to have that data aswell before the whole ps2/GC/OG xbox and gameboy/DS weekly data got removed

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Shadow1980 said:
Ryng said:

Wonder what kind of numbers Switch will do this December. I'm sure it'll be up YOY

2.04 million sold in 2019, maybe 2.5-3 million in 2020? Though the 3.31 million of DS looks unreachable

Hard to say. The Switch being up YoY since March is clearly an artificial bubble fueled by the outbreak (the PS4 & XBO likewise saw big YoY jumps). It's YoY improvements had been generally trending downward, and it was even down YoY in January & February (assuming the best-guess estimates on Era weren't way under the mark). Those are signs that a system is closing in on the post-peak part of its life cycle. It's entirely possible that the recent console-buying bubble could front-load sales for this year, drawing away sales from later on this year. A lot of people that were waiting for this holiday to buy a Switch may have already bought one with their stimulus money. Even if that's not the case, it's still entirely possible that once this bubble is deflated that the Switch could be back to being flat or even down YoY.

Over 2.3M Switches have been sold in the U.S. in the March-May period, the second-largest non-holiday 3-month period ever after the DS's 2.44M sold in the April-June period, and one of the biggest YoY jumps ever. It's also far better than the Switch's previous best non-holiday 3-month period of a bit over 1M in Jan.-March 2019 (that's excluding the Switch's actual first three months; it sold 1.35M in that time span, but two-thirds of that were in just launch month). This sort of anomalous spike could serve to deplete the remaining pool of future buyers. There's only so many people willing and able to buy any given system, after all, and something unexpected that encourages them to buy it sooner rather than later could result in worse sales further down the road than what might have otherwise happened.

Animal Crossing is a big system seller and brings new market tier. The growth of Xbox and PS4 is not the same, in size or shape. With Animal Crossing, switch have new type of consumers, because of that, the sales have big grow, second motive is Covid. 

Around the Network

With development slowing down and games being delayed this is going to lead to something I hadn't really thought about: The games that do come out will have "artificially" high sales due to people's desperation for any kind of new game. ACNH sold so well not just because it is a great game, but because of all the delays.

I predict, based on this, that Paper Mario Oragami King will be the best selling PM ever. This will be a great thing if they do return to form enough, as it will encourage them to continue the trend of going back to the old school style. If the game is innovative for the sake of being innovative and doesn't return some of the more demanded features of PM and PMTTYD then those great sales will probably reconfirm their resolve to innovate rather than going back to formula and tick all of us hardcore PM fans off for at least one more generation.

Covid 19 artificial sales bubble has a LOT of impact on the future direction of my favorite series ever and that kind of stresses me out. I don't want PM to perform so badly that they stop making them (a bad paper Mario game is better than most games to me still), but I want them to perform badly enough (when done like SS/CS) that they move in the old direction more (and OK does seem to be a step in the right direction so far).

Paper mario will be just fine and they are doing an effort to bring back the franchise to what made it special with the 2 first titles. And that effort will be rewarded cause there is a lot of hype to it and a pretty dusty schedule for the Switch atm so i see a lot of people buying it even if they wouldn't necessarily do it.

For the Switch Yoy growth, the console had little momentum in Jan and Feb 2020 since the last big game that came out was Pokemon in mid November while 2019 had Smash in December. Switch was bound to have a big leap even with just animal crossing but the Covid did help make the game go viral. I think it help bring a bigger audience but looking at social media and amazon it is clear the Switch is still in high demand even 3-4 months after that happened and even with social distancing becoming less of an issue.

I don't think it will keep that growth for each month but i do think it should stay up atleast till september, at that point it will depend on what move they do.

Shadow1980 said:
Agente42 said:

Animal Crossing is a big system seller and brings new market tier. The growth of Xbox and PS4 is not the same, in size or shape. With Animal Crossing, switch have new type of consumers, because of that, the sales have big grow, second motive is Covid.

Individual games rarely produce long-term increases to baseline sales. That goes for the latest Animal Crossing as well. In Japan, where AC:NH is one of the most successful games ever and appears to be the biggest system-seller for any system ever, the effect on sales was short-lived. Sure, it produced one of the best sales weeks for any system ever in Japan (and the biggest outside of the December holidays or launch weeks), but just three weeks later sales were back down to baseline levels, with said baseline not appearing any higher than the previous baseline. Even in the U.S., I can't seem to find a single instance of any individual game released in the past three generations producing any detectable gains for a period lasting more than two monthly sales periods (and in some cases those gains may have been assisted by other factors like price cuts). Usually you just see a spike in sales the month the game is released (and since U.S. sales are tracked monthly instead of weekly like in Japan, it takes a particularly big system-seller to make itself obvious in the data).

As for the PS4 & XBO, of course their COVID boosts haven't been as big, because they're old systems nearing the ends of their lives (five months to go until replacement). While demand was temporarily up as people got their stimulus checks, overall demand is down so sales may not be as high in absolute terms as they could have been if they were close to their peaks. Also, the total number of systems in the supply channel isn't going to be as big as it once was because shipments decline in late life, so there is likely less supply to meet the recent increase in demand. Even then, though, this past April was the second-biggest non-holiday month ever for the PS4, and tied with October 2016 (One S launch month) for biggest non-holiday month ever for the XBO. The PS4 and XBO were up 178% and 210%, respectively, from April 2019. Not as big as the Switch's 256%, but still massive.

Now, for March the Switch was up 161% from February, while for the PS4 and XBO their gains were 79% and 70%, respectively (March is usually down from February barring other factors). That's a much larger disparity than for April, which is where we are likely seeing an effect from AC:NH, but the smaller proportional gap in April suggests the AC effect wearing off. For May, the PS4 and XBO were down -62% and -54% from April, respectively, while the Switch was down only 34%, but with us being this far out from AC's release, I'd say it's more likely that we're seeing the effects of stock come into play after weeks of artificially increased demand for consoles.

Given the typical short-term effects of system-sellers as well as the observed effects of COVID-19 and the resulting windfalls from stimulus, the vast majority of the Switch's gains can be attributed to that, and not to Animal Crossing. There is no reason to assume that AC will by itself be capable of enhancing Switch sales for a long period of time. It didn't do so in Japan, and, especially given the external factors at play, there's no reason to think the situation is any different in the U.S.

you are aware that the switch is selling everything that is shipped in japan, right? The baseline literally can not go higher due to production issues. There are lotteries there and for what it seems, the switch is being prioritized in the West rather than in Japan. Animal crossing will probably be the second best selling game ever in Japan and has brought in a new market( as evident by the rise of splatoon).

People keep on forgetting what type of Sales Wii was doing during 2008. What else was going on in 2008?
I personally don't think we've seen Switch at it's maximum sales potential, lets say they manufacture a huge amount of units for November & December. Put a temporary price at retail at $149 for Lite and $225 for Hybrid during Black Friday and December. Release some Christmas DLC for the biggest game - Animal Crossing, finally sorts our supply problems for Ring Fit Adventure, while having another 90+ Metacritic Breath of the Wild game.

I can't talk with certainty for North America but in Japan the demand won't' slow down in 2020. 

It would be pretty easy to envision them reach historic heights in North America Wii was able to hit during 2008.

To me, the more interesting thing to note is the 3rd party games that get revealed for the fall.

The companies with strong Switch support are poised to do well this year.

Shadow1980 said:
MasonADC said:

you are aware that the switch is selling everything that is shipped in japan, right? The baseline literally can not go higher due to production issues. There are lotteries there and for what it seems, the switch is being prioritized in the West rather than in Japan. Animal crossing will probably be the second best selling game ever in Japan and has brought in a new market( as evident by the rise of splatoon).

I didn't know the Switch was still supply-constrained in Japan, but if it is then that's even less of a reason to think that Animal Crossing will be a long-term system-seller there, at least in a way that would be detectable in the data. Yes, the game itself will keep selling for a long time just like other big Nintendo titles that just keep selling (MK8D, Splatoon 2, and Smash 5 have stayed in the Top 10 despite their age), but A) its long-term sales will always be much lower than in the initial wave, and B) its ability to keep selling copies does not translate to capacity to keep moving hardware. Over time, the impact of a single game's ability to move hardware diminishes, normally only causing an increase in hardware sales for a few weeks; such an increase manifests as a big initial spike followed by diminishing HW sales that settle back down to baseline levels. Normally, HW sales are back down to baseline in 5-6 weeks, usually sooner. Most people that got a Switch just to play AC have done so by now.

And in all but two cases that I can find, a single game just doesn't have the capacity to cause a measurable long-term increase in baseline sales. The only clear example I've seen in the sales data from Japan was Splatoon for the Wii U. FF7 was the lone example in the U.S., and it initiated the start of a massive increase in PS1 sales in the latter third of 1997 (though it's hard to say how many people bought a PS1 just for FF7; apparently it sold about 3M copies lifetime in the U.S., over 500k in just September '97 alone, while the PS1 itself sold 30M copies, so it was probably more of an indirect system-seller in that it helped draw significant attention to the system and its larger library and lower software prices). Aside from those two games, every other increase in baseline sales in both regions, for both handhelds and home systems, was associated with a price cut and/or new hardware model.

Considering that sort of track record for games to have long-term capacity to boost sales, I doubt AC:NH would be able to affect months-long increases to baseline sales even if stock wasn't an issue. It may have had a somewhat longer effect than normal due to the absolute size of the initial spike, but even then now that the game is three months old the baseline likely would have settled back down to the pre-AC level by this point. Supposedly, Switch production is returning to normal, so we'll have to see what sales look like over the next few months, but I'm honestly not expecting some dramatic increase in baseline sales beyond what it's been averaging since the release of the Lite. Maybe 60-75k on average until the holidays. I know some people have been very bullish on the Switch, but I am tempering my expectations. I'm not expecting it to completely drop off a cliff any time soon (though I think a noticeable YoY drop next year is likely), but neither am I expecting it to smash all sales records.

you are wrong, Nintendo switch, until now, is severe supply problems. Lotteries anywhere. The sales are not in decline or become or same status to the pre-AC level. The sales is bigger than same period now, with supply problems. 

The covid problem helps, but is not the mainline driver. Animal Crossing is. 

Last edited by Agente42 - on 23 June 2020