By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Outer Worlds Switch port

Couldn't they at least keep the clouds in the sky, just that little detail makes it look so much more sterile.

Around the Network
h2ohno said:
Mnementh said:

6GB? Ouch. But a patch this size indicates better textures which means the quality in the reviews is an issue of "we didn't want pay for a bigger cartridge".

Except the reviewers said they were playing with the day 1 patch installed, so this is the 'better textures.'

In which case it isn't understandable, why there is even such a big day one patch. The port must be horribly rushed, that between giving out the master for the cartridge and release they added so much stuff and it is still lacking.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
h2ohno said:

Except the reviewers said they were playing with the day 1 patch installed, so this is the 'better textures.'

In which case it isn't understandable, why there is even such a big day one patch. The port must be horribly rushed, that between giving out the master for the cartridge and release they added so much stuff and it is still lacking.

It's one of no less than 5 Switch ports Virtuos were working on at the same time. It can't have been an easy port as a game that already drops to 720p/30fps on PS4, but I'm sure spreading their team so thin didn't help.

curl-6 said:
Mnementh said:

It's one of no less than 5 Switch ports Virtuos were working on at the same time. It can't have been an easy port as a game that already drops to 720p/30fps on PS4, but I'm sure spreading their team so thin didn't help.

This is not good management, because it tarnishes the name of both Virtuous and Obsidian. Taking the effort to put out proper quality is better in the long run. And that may mean, that they don't accept a porting job, if they lack the needed resources.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
curl-6 said:

This is not good management, because it tarnishes the name of both Virtuous and Obsidian. Taking the effort to put out proper quality is better in the long run. And that may mean, that they don't accept a porting job, if they lack the needed resources.

Yeah they probably should have politely declined at least one of the requests. While I'm still enjoying it overall as the core game is so great, this is not a good port and it's going to be remembered as a black mark on Virtuos' record, which up to this point was quite strong.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
SKMBlake said:

Lol wut

How can you dissociate image quality from things like foliage or textures (or even shadows, that I didn't mention) ?

It's like saying Ridge Racer 7 on PS3 is way better looking than Forza 7 on Xbox One S because it's 1080p vs 720p

I don't see what's so hard to understand. In the context of discussions like these "image quality" is typically taken to mean the resolution and anti-aliasing; the lens of the camera so to speak rather than the props within the scene. Thanks to its higher resolution and less aggressive AA, The Outer Worlds does not have a blurry a lens as Doom, Wolfenstein, or Witcher 3. That's all.

Also, Forza 7 is 1080p.

Resolution is an old focus regarding the rendering of a game, even DF decided to shift to other elements than resolution.

The Xenoblade resolution "scandal" is fresh enough to see that resolution-based discussions aren't relevant anymore.

So if you think sharper lines (and every other element of the game being blurry as hell) is the only scale we should look for, then it's your take.

But please don't false advertise by saying it looks better than The Witcher 3 or Doom.

SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

I don't see what's so hard to understand. In the context of discussions like these "image quality" is typically taken to mean the resolution and anti-aliasing; the lens of the camera so to speak rather than the props within the scene. Thanks to its higher resolution and less aggressive AA, The Outer Worlds does not have a blurry a lens as Doom, Wolfenstein, or Witcher 3. That's all.

Also, Forza 7 is 1080p.

Resolution is an old focus regarding the rendering of a game, even DF decided to shift to other elements than resolution.

The Xenoblade resolution "scandal" is fresh enough to see that resolution-based discussions aren't relevant anymore.

So if you think sharper lines (and every other element of the game being blurry as hell) is the only scale we should look for, then it's your take.

But please don't false advertise by saying it looks better than The Witcher 3 or Doom.

I didn't say it looked better than Witcher 3 or Doom. I said it had better image quality, as in resolution + AA/image treatment, which it does.

Doom and Witcher 3 still look better overall due to better textures, detail, and framerate.

You are literally arguing things I never said.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 05 June 2020

All I know is that they have at till I finish Xenoblade to patch in better textures, eliminate the random load times, and eliminate the random enemy pop in. The game just lacks polish and is a bad port, whether it be laziness or understaffed is irrelevant. This game is a game I really want to play but with TLoU2, GoT, and Paper Mario right around the corner I would benefit greatly from the hybrid nature of the Switch. I do not expect them to add the missing assets such as foliage and the like, but if they can at least fix those things I will buy the Switch version.

If not, I will get the game on PS4 instead but god knows when I would be able to actually play it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Spindel said:
Couldn't they at least keep the clouds in the sky, just that little detail makes it look so much more sterile.

They needed to go back and rework assets to fit the hardware better.

They could have for example... Baked some cloud detailing into the games skybox.
With allot of the texture maps they could have baked some additional shadowing and lighting details into the texture maps to give the game some more definition.

In all honesty... It's a lazy port and doesn't really showcase the Switch's capabilities to any extent.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Spindel said:

They needed to go back and rework assets to fit the hardware better.

They could have for example... Baked some cloud detailing into the games skybox.
With allot of the texture maps they could have baked some additional shadowing and lighting details into the texture maps to give the game some more definition.

In all honesty... It's a lazy port and doesn't really showcase the Switch's capabilities to any extent.

TBH I don't care that much about visuals in games (as long as it runs good), I've stated earlier that I'm content with PS2, Xbox, GC level of graphics @720 or 1080 (as long as you have the right art direction).

But from the stills in this thread, even if everything looks 20 years old which we know can be done better on switch, what really stood out to me was the monolithic blue sky devoid of any detail.