By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Outer Worlds Switch port

So this is the version with the upgraded textures? Now I'm curious to see just how bad it looks without the day 1 patch. Does it look like an N64 game? It looks like they should have waited on this one until they released the other games they were working on and had more people to help finish this.

Around the Network

There is no excuse for those textures, it looks worse than fallout 3 on XB360 and XB360 has 1/8 of the RAM that switch has.

curl-6 said:

image quality is generally better than what you get in ports like Doom 2016, Wolfenstein II, and Witcher 3

I'm sorry but no. Doom and Wolfenstein are basically the exact same lookingglooking with lower resolution and an agressive AA which makes the games look kind of blurry.

And I won't even mention The Witcher 3, which became one of the most visually beautiful and impressive games on the system.

And Outer Worlds is far from all of those.

SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

image quality is generally better than what you get in ports like Doom 2016, Wolfenstein II, and Witcher 3

I'm sorry but no. Doom and Wolfenstein are basically the exact same lookingglooking with lower resolution and an agressive AA which makes the games look kind of blurry.

And I won't even mention The Witcher 3, which became one of the most visually beautiful and impressive games on the system.

I own all four games you mentioned and Outer Worlds has the least blurry image quality of them.

Wolfenstein II, Doom, and Witcher 3 are all sub-HD most of the time, while DF put Outer Worlds at 720p with only "on occasion" drops below.

curl-6 said:

Given their analysis happened pre-launch I do wonder if they are playing without the 6GB day 1 patch, which according to the devs: "will optimise gameplay, provide additional hi-res textures, and include other fixes to provide the employees of Halcyon with the best gameplay experience."

6GB? Ouch. But a patch this size indicates better textures which means the quality in the reviews is an issue of "we didn't want pay for a bigger cartridge".

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
curl-6 said:

Given their analysis happened pre-launch I do wonder if they are playing without the 6GB day 1 patch, which according to the devs: "will optimise gameplay, provide additional hi-res textures, and include other fixes to provide the employees of Halcyon with the best gameplay experience."

6GB? Ouch. But a patch this size indicates better textures which means the quality in the reviews is an issue of "we didn't want pay for a bigger cartridge".

Except the reviewers said they were playing with the day 1 patch installed, so this is the 'better textures.'

curl-6 said:
SKMBlake said:

I own all four games you mentioned and Outer Worlds has the least blurry image quality of them.

Wolfenstein II, Doom, and Witcher 3 are all sub-HD most of the time, while DF put Outer Worlds at 720p with only "on occasion" drops below.

I do own Wolfenstein II, Doom and Witcher 3 as well. And it seems like you didn't put the sharpening filter of The Witcher 3 then.

And resolution isn't everything, far from it. I would choose everytime The Witcher 3's sub-HD with superb looking fooliage over Outer Worlds' HD resolution with 360p textures.

And I don't even mention framerate.

SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

I do own Wolfenstein II, Doom and Witcher 3 as well. And it seems like you didn't put the sharpening filter of The Witcher 3 then.

And resolution isn't everything, far from it. I would choose everytime The Witcher 3's sub-HD with superb looking fooliage over Outer Worlds' HD resolution with 360p textures.

I'm only talking about image quality, not foliage, framerate, or textures.

curl-6 said:
SKMBlake said:

Lol wut

How can you dissociate image quality from things like foliage or textures (or even shadows, that I didn't mention) ?

It's like saying Ridge Racer 7 on PS3 is way better looking than Forza 7 on Xbox One S because it's 1080p vs 720p

SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

Lol wut

How can you dissociate image quality from things like foliage or textures (or even shadows, that I didn't mention) ?

It's like saying Ridge Racer 7 on PS3 is way better looking than Forza 7 on Xbox One S because it's 1080p vs 720p

I don't see what's so hard to understand. In the context of discussions like these "image quality" is typically taken to mean the resolution and anti-aliasing; the lens of the camera so to speak rather than the props within the scene. Thanks to its higher resolution and less aggressive AA, The Outer Worlds does not have a blurry a lens as Doom, Wolfenstein, or Witcher 3. That's all.

Also, Forza 7 is 1080p.