By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Outer Worlds Switch port

Yea this is a poorly optimized port, I think the problem Virtuos just decided to downgrade the exact same PS4 game as much as possible to work on Switch instead of redesigning and reworking the game to run better on the Switch, which made the game look very ugly and unfinished even compared to 7th Gen games. Usually good Switch ports like the Witcher 3 redesign and reworked the entire game code to be better optimized on Switch, not just downgrade everything and hope it works. It's ridiculous that they're charging a full 60$ for this nearly 6th gen looking game that can't even run at good frame rates. I would've actually considered purchasing this if it was a good port.

Around the Network

This is an abomination. This reminds me of when I bought Dragon Age Inquisition on PS3 because I didn't have a PS4, and it looked like absolute garbage. I had to call the dev and they sent me a PC version in exchange for my PS3 copy. Shortly after I bought a PS4, but still... why release a game that runs so poorly at all.

Ports like these make me wish Nintendo made the Switch more powerful using the Tegra X2 instead of the X1, or at least a Switch Pro. I know this port is poorly optimized and can run better despite being on the Tegra X1, but I'm sure we'll see more good ports and better looking ports if the Switch was more powerful. Hopefully a Switch Pro is on the Horizon

I pray for Curl's mental health.

Kinda surprised I'm seeing so many responses going on about how this was "expected", given how much hype this had due to the last AAA Western RPG port that graced the system - precisely because of it's quality.

Given their analysis happened pre-launch I do wonder if they are playing without the 6GB day 1 patch, which according to the devs: "will optimise gameplay, provide additional hi-res textures, and include other fixes to provide the employees of Halcyon with the best gameplay experience."

Around the Network

It's definitely look like Fallout 3 on PS3 but with extra blur and extra slow frame rates 

Edit:  yes it's even worse than Fallout on PS3 in terms of detail graphic & resolution.  

I wonder can Bathesda port Fallout 3 to Switch? I just curious how it will it look compared to outerworld. 

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 04 June 2020

HollyGamer said:

It's definitely look like Fallout 3 on PS3 but with extra blur and extra slow frame rates 

Edit:  yes it's even worse than Fallout on PS3 in terms of detail graphic & resolution.  

I wonder can Bathesda port Fallout 3 to Switch? I just curious how it will it look compared to outerworld. 

I'm sure they can port both Fallout 3 and New Vegas. The problem is that their code is a jumbled mess, and they would be quite glitchy. At least Skyrim they've ported it so much they got a good grasp at it, and even then it still had the old bugs unpatched.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

HollyGamer said:

Fallout 3 is less demanding than Skyrim Special Edition, which runs on practically the same engine and looks and runs great on Switch.  So the answer is yes  and it would look a million times better than this port.  Skyrim also runs at 1080p docked with solid frame rate as well.

Outer Worlds in of itself is just a more demanding game and the port job was half assed.  We have seen far more demanding games such as Witcher 3 with much better results.  Not to mention that it likely runs on its own engine (different from Fallout 3 and Skyrim) and there may be compatibility issues there as well.  In any case, how Outer Worlds turned out has no bearing on how Fallout 3 or New Vegas would as they are much more comparable to Skyrim of we are being honest.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Despite the Switch having an SSD of sorts (Its faster than the Xbox One X HDD), it's very intriguing to see it struggling so badly with asset streaming with this port, this just emphasizes the fact that a console is the sum of it's parts and not just a single component, the Switch really needs more Ram to keep more data in memory, 3GB for games just isn't enough.

I think the downgrades were a little too severe, they really needed to rework assets to better fit the system, not just keep making cutbacks until it technically "ran".

This is the Switch vs Xbox One (Original/Base hardware) rather than the Xbox One X X Digital Foundry was making the comparison with, you expect to take a hit to resolution/framerate on Switch verses OG Xbox One, but the cutbacks are pretty extreme.

Either way, better to purchase this title on another platform.

Darwinianevolution said:
HollyGamer said:

I'm sure they can port both Fallout 3 and New Vegas. The problem is that their code is a jumbled mess, and they would be quite glitchy. At least Skyrim they've ported it so much they got a good grasp at it, and even then it still had the old bugs unpatched.

They all run on the same Net Immerse turned Gamebryo turned Creation Engine, so the porting process should be easier than we think.

Either way, they are Bethesda games, the Glitches add to the charm.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Despite the Switch having an SSD of sorts (Its faster than the Xbox One X HDD), it's very intriguing to see it struggling so badly with asset streaming with this port, this just emphasizes the fact that a console is the sum of it's parts and not just a single component, the Switch really needs more Ram to keep more data in memory, 3GB for games just isn't enough.

I think the downgrades were a little too severe, they really needed to rework assets to better fit the system, not just keep making cutbacks until it technically "ran".

This is the Switch vs Xbox One (Original/Base hardware) rather than the Xbox One X X Digital Foundry was making the comparison with, you expect to take a hit to resolution/framerate on Switch verses OG Xbox One, but the cutbacks are pretty extreme.

Either way, better to purchase this title on another platform.

Darwinianevolution said:

They all run on the same Net Immerse turned Gamebryo turned Creation Engine, so the porting process should be easier than we think.

Either way, they are Bethesda games, the Glitches add to the charm.

Tell that to Fallout 76 at launch. XD

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.