By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Outer Worlds Switch port

curl-6 said:

Let's not get carried away. It's not a good port, but it's not catastrophic either.

As you said, the worst part is the framerate issue. For eg, MK11 on Switch is pretty ugly, but once you start a fight, it's smooth 60fps and makes it very enjoyable. Same for Rocket League.

They definitly should fix this

Last edited by AJNShelton - on 06 June 2020

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

Let's not get carried away. It's not a good port, but it's not catastrophic either.

As you said, the worst part is the framerate issue. For eg,M on Switch is pretty ugly, but once you start a fight, it's smooth 60fps and makes it very enjoyable. Same for Rocket League.

Yeah it needs a patch badly.

It'll never be pretty, but they could at least partially salvage the situation if the framerate drops and pop-in were reduced. What remains to be seen is whether they'll commit to fixing it, or just cut their losses and run.

SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

As you said, the worst part is the framerate issue. For eg, MK11 on Switch is pretty ugly, but once you start a fight, it's smooth 60fps and makes it very enjoyable. Same for Rocket League.

I have to agree. I can accept the dumbed down graphics, although being disappointed with examples on how it is done better. But then things start to affect gameplay with framerate drops or enemy pop-in, that is bad. So they should have at least fixes for the stuff affecting gameplay. If they can also provide better graphics, it would be appreciated. Many of the graphical downgrades can be attributed to the missing space on the cartridge. I would appreciate if games for Switch would offer optional texture packs, so if you have space on your SD-card to waste, you can download the prettier graphcis.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
SKMBlake said:

I have to agree. I can accept the dumbed down graphics, although being disappointed with examples on how it is done better. But then things start to affect gameplay with framerate drops or enemy pop-in, that is bad. So they should have at least fixes for the stuff affecting gameplay. If they can also provide better graphics, it would be appreciated. Many of the graphical downgrades can be attributed to the missing space on the cartridge. I would appreciate if games for Switch would offer optional texture packs, so if you have space on your SD-card to waste, you can download the prettier graphcis.

We've seen in the likes of Panic Button's ports that post-release patches can improve unstable framerates in Switch ports that already seemed to be tapping the system out.

I really think they should commit to fixing this as it will otherwise remain a black mark on the record of both Virtuos, who until now had a great rep for their Switch work, and Obsidian for allowing their GOTY-nominated game to be released in this state.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 June 2020

Looks very rough.

I'll wait to see if it gets some more patches, if not I'll just get it on PC.

Around the Network

The problem is not just on GPU speed or CPU but on RAM. and probably high assets Polygon. 

Well not all ports are well made. And this dev talked about how hard it was to make it, but yes I get they aren't the best devs around.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The strange part is, there are times when the port is actually really good. In the more contained indoor sections like the "dungeons" it looks and runs great. Like, better than post-patch Doom 2016.

It's when you step outside that it gets ugly, and when you're attacked by enemy mobs in open areas that the wheels fall off. Mind you, it's never unplayable, but even just a 3-5fps boost from a patch would make it a much better experience as a whole.

Down to 67 on Metacritic now damn

How much will this affect Virtuos reputation?

The game has somehow made it into the top 30 most downloaded games this far post release on the US eshop. It seems that these games with a portable option certainly have an audience, even if the port is considered broken by many.

Hope this gets patched soon.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261