By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly results May 7th 2020 - Switch: 55.77m, (21m for the FY) Animal Crossing: 11.77m

curl-6 said:

Evergreens aren't enough to keep a console selling more than 20m a year. They have great momentum now, but if they don't have big games for the second half of 2020 that momentum will slow and they'll be down YOY substantially when we get to the latter months of the year when the likes of Pokemon and Switch Lite hit in 2019.

Kinda reminds me of Media Create threads in early 2018. PS4 was up over 40% YoY in Q1 thanks to the huge boost Monster Hunter World gave it and some people thought that boost would last the entire year. PS4 ended the year down about 4% YoY.

Switch has a big YoY lead now and has momentum but if they arent able to get major 1st party titles out in the Summer/Fall than that momentum will disappear.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Evergreens aren't enough to keep a console selling more than 20m a year. They have great momentum now, but if they don't have big games for the second half of 2020 that momentum will slow and they'll be down YOY substantially when we get to the latter months of the year when the likes of Pokemon and Switch Lite hit in 2019.

Kinda reminds me of Media Create threads in early 2018. PS4 was up over 40% YoY in Q1 thanks to the huge boost Monster Hunter World gave it and some people thought that boost would last the entire year. PS4 ended the year down about 4% YoY.

Switch has a big YoY lead now and has momentum but if they arent able to get major 1st party titles out in the Summer/Fall than that momentum will disappear.

I agree big games will definitely be needed, especially during the holiday season although maybe not so much during summer if the pandemic continues like it is.

A lot of folks will want to stay home for the most part and especially keep their kids away from unnecessary crowds. They'll nee to be entertained somehow and video games can fill that void. As was seen in March and reportedly in April. The pandemic is helping sales to an extent.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
zorg1000 said:

I agree big games will definitely be needed, especially during the holiday season although maybe not so much during summer if the pandemic continues like it is.

A lot of folks will want to stay home for the most part and especially keep their kids away from unnecessary crowds. They'll nee to be entertained somehow and video games can fill that void. As was seen in March and reportedly in April. The pandemic is helping sales to an extent.

Yeah the summer months should be fine without anything major but September onward will need something.

Last year Lite+Link's Awakening+Luigi's Mansion+Ring Fit+Pokemon Sword/Shield all released within a 2 month window in the fall leading to an amazing holiday.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
brute said:

Yeah the summer months should be fine without anything major but September onward will need something.

Last year Lite+Link's Awakening+Luigi's Mansion+Ring Fit+Pokemon Sword/Shield all released within a 2 month window in the fall leading to an amazing holiday.

Aug- SM3DWD

Sept-Surprise Game

Oct-Paper Mario

Nov- Mario 3D Collection (64/Sunshine/Galaxy1)

Dec-Pikmin 3

That would be alright granted whatever extra game it will be. Then next year we can have a much better software year, something like 2017 maybe

Yeah I think sales will slow in the Fall if they don't have major releases or a price cut considering the two new systems launching will get a lot of attention of consumers and people aren't gonna buy it in droves during the holidays if the last huge game was released in March. If they don't have any really major releases for the Fall I'm sure they could at least put together some desired ports/remasters and even if they don't do a discount I could see this year being the first holiday seasons where they majorly promote bundles, and they'll probably have at least a couple smaller new games like a Ring Fit, and that's all worst case scenario, in which case they'll probably still do like 19 million.

But who knows maybe they'll still pull out BotW2 for the holidays and it'll be a huge year.

Around the Network

Good to see Switch numbers got adjusted up 200k on the front page chart. Though given the huge discrepancy between Nintendo's numbers and VGC numbers I woulda thought they would have adjusted up by like half a million.

The rumored Paper Mario and old ports/remasters/remakes alone won't be enough to keep Switch up YOY I reckon. It'll take more than that to counterbalance the avalanche of games they got in the second half of 2019 plus the Lite.

Hopefully they can deliver more for June-December than that.

Slownenberg said:
Good to see Switch numbers got adjusted up 200k on the front page chart. Though given the huge discrepancy between Nintendo's numbers and VGC numbers I woulda thought they would have adjusted up by like half a million.

Are we sure that's an adjustment and not an estimate of last week's numbers?

The Switch will probably be fine this year with Mario Kart and Animal Crossing.

curl-6 said:

The rumored Paper Mario and old ports/remasters/remakes alone won't be enough to keep Switch up YOY I reckon. It'll take more than that to counterbalance the avalanche of games they got in the second half of 2019 plus the Lite.

Hopefully they can deliver more for June-December than that.

Second half of 2019 didn’t have supply issue and needing of a lot of stock. That’s a big part of it imo. Those games can keep up the momentum with possible good bundles this season. Out of all the years I’ve seen, this is one that doesn’t need as much software. Besides the Mario ports/remasters if true are big games. Add in another color or 2 for the lite, ring fit adventure that is still selling systems and is also need of more supply. 2020 isn’t going to be a bad year despite not having that huge seller like SSB or Pokémon this year (excluding AC in the beginning)

Farsala said:
The Switch will probably be fine this year with Mario Kart and Animal Crossing.

All the evergreens will keep it afloat in Q1 with AC in the March (no pun intended) Q2 will be a continuation of that intill everything gets resolved. Then start bringing the software in July/aug and hopefully spread out the end of Q2/Q3 with the good software and new colors/bundles